Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allocating bandwidth on eircom router

Options
  • 07-12-2009 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi,

im in my final year of an honours degree course. Soft dev and comp networking.

For my FYP I am developing a bandwidth management system for a home network.

It will have a web based ui and im wondering how I can allocate bandwidth to different network devices from the website. As in how can i connect to the eircom router from the site and allocate bandwidth?

Any ideas. Im using snmp to get data about the network usage but having trouble figuring out how to allocate bandwidth.

The eircom router is a netopia 2247 nwg

Just found out that i can telnet to the router, so i can write some sort of script to do that. But what i want to know is how exactly can i allocate bandwidth when i have accessed the router?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

mossy464 wrote: »
    Hi,

im in my final year of an honours degree course. Soft dev and comp networking.

For my FYP I am developing a bandwidth management system for a home network.

It will have a web based ui and im wondering how I can allocate bandwidth to different network devices from the website. As in how can i connect to the eircom router from the site and allocate bandwidth?

Any ideas. Im using snmp to get data about the network usage but having trouble figuring out how to allocate bandwidth.

The eircom router is a netopia 2247 nwg

Just found out that i can telnet to the router, so i can write some sort of script to do that. But what i want to know is how exactly can i allocate bandwidth when i have accessed the router?

Two days and no reply. Not 100% on this, I think its only more company switchs/routers which can allocate bandwidth on certain links. Maybe on the CLI, you could try allocating more bandwidth threw a vlan, again, I am not sure of the limitations of the router..

Get the ball rolling for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

msg11 wrote: »
    Two days and no reply. Not 100% on this, I think its only more company switchs/routers which can allocate bandwidth on certain links. Maybe on the CLI, you could try allocating more bandwidth threw a vlan, again, I am not sure of the limitations of the router..

Get the ball rolling for you!

I can be done on a wrt54g with some of the replacement firmwares e.g. DD-WRT. I'm not sure about the Eircom routers as the most I've used them is just some troubleshooting for family members. The functionality might be there through the cli but I'm unsure.

*Edit there might be something in the manual that you can use.

http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/manuals/SoftwareUserGuideV76-Clsc.pdf

^^^ There's a link to it. I only had a quick browse myself but it looks like the cli might have potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

rmacm wrote: »
    I can be done on a wrt54g with some of the replacement firmwares e.g. DD-WRT. I'm not sure about the Eircom routers as the most I've used them is just some troubleshooting for family members. The functionality might be there through the cli but I'm unsure.

*Edit there might be something in the manual that you can use.

http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/manuals/SoftwareUserGuideV76-Clsc.pdf

^^^ There's a link to it. I only had a quick browse myself but it looks like the cli might have potential.

Cheers for the replies. Re the wrt54g, i could buy one or the college may supply one. So by changing the firmware on these i could allocate certain amounts of bandwidth to an interface?

Aye install DD-WRT or something similar on it and you can change the bandwidth per switch port on it. It already has a web interface to do this however so you could be reinventing the wheel.

I'd have a proper look for you but unfortunately my wrt54g is back in Ireland and I'm in Sweden.

rmacm wrote: »
    Aye install DD-WRT or something similar on it and you can change the bandwidth per switch port on it. It already has a web interface to do this however so you could be reinventing the wheel.

I'd have a proper look for you but unfortunately my wrt54g is back in Ireland and I'm in Sweden.

No problem. Thanks for the advice.. Well allocating the bandwidth is one part of my project.

I want to be able to view the network on the web ui and display graphs and things like that about network usage.

I presume you can telnet to this router and run commands? Also are these dsl routers?

• Advertisement

mossy464 wrote: »
    No problem. Thanks for the advice.. Well allocating the bandwidth is one part of my project.

I want to be able to view the network on the web ui and display graphs and things like that about network usage.

I presume you can telnet to this router and run commands? Also are these dsl routers?

Yep you can telnet/ssh into it if I remember correctly. They're not like the Eircom modem/router combination in that they don't have an RJ11 port for a phone line, you'd have to do something like

<Eircom Modem/Router>
    <WRT54G>
    <Rest of Network>

You'll need to put the Eircom kit into bridging mode not sure how to do this though, there's probably a setting in the gui somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Try tomato firmware aswell. That or DDWRT or OpenWRT are the most popular.

You can SSH to wrt,

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/SSH_access_from_internet

And some models will act as both the modem and router I think.

Well after emailing motorola about the router they got back to me saying it cant be done on that router. i will be going with the linksys wrt54g. Handed up my research today anyway but wasnt great so hopefully i dont fail that part.

Thanks for all the advice lads

Advertisement