Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jigsaw on perspex...splinter

Options
  • 07-12-2009 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

I need to cut a few windows for a shed. I have bought two sheets of perspex now but every time I use the jigsaw the perspex splinters, I am using the softest blade, at a slow speed. but I'm getting nowhere. Now I have never used a jigsaw before so not the easiest to start with, but can anyone point out the obvious thing I am doing wrong. Oh, I am just laying the perspex on a couple of planks and holding it while I saw, don't have vices or anything. Help please:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

ankles wrote: »
    I need to cut a few windows for a shed. I have bought two sheets of perspex now but every time I use the jigsaw the perspex splinters, I am using the softest blade, at a slow speed. but I'm getting nowhere. Now I have never used a jigsaw before so not the easiest to start with, but can anyone point out the obvious thing I am doing wrong. Oh, I am just laying the perspex on a couple of planks and holding it while I saw, don't have vices or anything. Help please:confused:

Try using a different blade with fine teeth on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

dont have the blade at a slow speed and keep the line you are cutting to as close to the edge of the plank you are supporting it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Tape the area where you are cutting with masking tape and cut through the Tape, Or leave the paper on it until you are ready to cut. (cut inside the house where it is warm)
    If you can get a sheet or two of ply or any other flat surface stack them so that you have a gap of 1cm lay the perspex on top and cut down the gap.
    Any movement will likely result in cracking

Advertisement