Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

arriving late to the GHD party, a few questions...

• 08-12-2009 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Finally decided to get my unruly, thick, wavy hair in check and start flat ironing it. I love the shine it gives, but it's SO STRAIGHT, it's almost too straight. It's completely flat.

1) Is there any way to flat iron it so it still has some body and texture?

2) How much damage am I doing it by flat ironing it every few days?

3) What are the best products to use before to minimize damage, or after, to give it more texture?

any tips would be most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

you can give your hair volume with a flat iron. when at the roots/near the crown of your head twist the iron so that the side that was on the bottom is now on the top. It usually works for me when i do that. be careful not to continue to too far if you want to have poker straight ends. i am sure a dvd came with it (it did with mine anyways) so give that a quick watch and it gives loads of tips and tricks. ad for damage, they are not the best for your hair, but make sure that your hair is COMPLETELY DRY before using an iron and the damage wont be as bad then. I use pantene ice shine protectant sometimes, and i dont really add much product to my hair anyways so i am not much good on thet front! sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Or you could learn how to blow dry it straight and then quickly run the GHD's through the lengths, leaving your roots alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Agree with the good blow dry first, vital to have a very slim concentrator nozzle on your hair dryer and a good quality ceramic barrell round brush, correct size for your hair length. Dont use products on your hair just wash condition (vital) and concentrate on the blow dry. Products will be ironed onto your hair with the straightener and will lead to very very dull hair. When your finished with the GHD a little spritz of something like Tecni Art (Loreal) Gloss it, works wonders at keeping humidity/damp off the hair and adds a salon finished look.

Run GHD lightly and quickly overy your hair. Try to limit this routine to only a few times a week.... Try to wash your hair every 2/3 days, use perhaps a spritz of dry shampoo spray if you must between washes.

On the days between washes sort out your hair by giving it a 'sort out' using the blow dryer to tidy up any out of shape pillow head etc.

Don't wash, blow dry and GHD your hair every day you will absolutely ruin it.

As you may have guessed I have wavy hair:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Blow dry your hair upside down!

Seriously, turn your head upside down and blow dry it - taking care to brush it as you dry so it blow dries relatively straight.

I then section the hair and use the GHDs on it - then at the end flip my head upside down and straighten the bottoms of it - if its dried fairly straight you could get away without sectioning it.

If it's very flat I would recommend a teensy bit of volumising mousse when its wet - maybe backcomb the back of it when its all done?

I'm guessing these are new GHD's - I got my 3rd pair (I have a tendency to break them) last year and they leave my hair waaaay less flat than the old ones!!! So if they arent old ones, thats your problem - apparently the temperature is different and thats why they leave your hair much straighter and therefore flatter!

Advertisement