Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVO 2K10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

again, I'm not saying it shouldn't be further down the pecking list. I'm just saying I am concerned about a vitriolic and mysoganistic backlash similar to those seen in other-basically-nerd based communities when something similar has happened.

I would have an issue with it as the whole idea of ladies-only street fighter is fairly mysoganistic. There is no advantage for a male in this game so there is no reason for women not just go ahead and enter the main SSF4 event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Whats the worst that can happen, they get knocked out early and have plenty of time to cook the dinner :D

Hey remember the vid I posted of a girl beating Mago, she was no slouch. I think its a bit insulting to label them as wags or whatever the guy was implying. Right so there might not be the interest at the moment from the ladies but would there be a better way to generate it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Hey hey chill on the Femme Fatal speak, i know girls from the states that could come here & mop up house, besides, girls want a chance to prove they can play the game on a pro level let them is what i say. Girl Gamers aren't really the dime the dozen they used to be.

As for players choice all the pro's want windjammers & afaik Wjam WILL be at evo, if not a main attraction, MrWizard has said the final WILL be put on the big screen ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

HMUYA wrote: »

But it's a skill game and there is no need to have a female only tournament aside from being able to say stupid stuff like Femme Fatale SF.

Having said this the Ladies of SF tourney they ran in SOCAL had some of the largest attendences of any of the Arcade Infinity tournaments and more people stayed watching the games.

That tourney was largely people's GFs and stuff though from what I saw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Xinkai wrote: »
    Hey hey chill on the Femme Fatal speak, i know girls from the states that could come here & mop up house, besides, girls want a chance to prove they can play the game on a pro level let them is what i say. Girl Gamers aren't really the dime the dozen they used to be.

As for players choice all the pro's want windjammers & afaik Wjam WILL be at evo, if not a main attraction, MrWizard has said the final WILL be put on the big screen ^_^

It's not playing on a pro level if you separate them from men for no reason. If they want to play on a pro level why not just enter the main tournament?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    It's not playing on a pro level if you separate them from men for no reason. If they want to play on a pro level why not just enter the main tournament?

There's two ways I think you can look at it.

Either

1) The organisers genuinely want teh wimmins to play fighting games and believe they are not playing yet because they feel too poor/ intimidated to enter the main competitions.

2) The organisers want a, potentially large piece of publicity from boards like this discussing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Femme Fatale - Not too keen on this, for the same reasons as Dreddy. This spot really should have gone to a team tourney if they really wanted a second SSF4 event.

Blazblue CT - I didn't think this was going to make it; I actually thought Melty Blood AA would get this spot (it drew more entrants than BB at last month's NEC).

Player's choice - I'll be amazed if this isn't MVC2.

You know why it's called melty blood AA?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

If the chicks are hawt I'm all for it!

Let's make Strret Fighter sexy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

It's not misogynistic to say that a women's only tourney as a main event is stupid.
    Besides the real female players (and they do exist) want to own your arse, not your girlfriend/friend/sister's.

3rd strike and marvel have been sacrificed due to Evo's picks.
    Marvel will probably win the vote though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Mr Wizard said that the female tournament had no effect on the other games chosen for EVO.

Uh... you HAVE seen a pick of Starscream or whatever her face is right... NOT NICE... Cami is just freakin annoying, but tapable, SherryJynx has ****ed up teeth, Stacy the bison player is only rated as NSFW from the pros but i've never seen her myself.

THERE ARE NO DREAM GIRLS OF SF :(

*This Has Been Your Daily Dream Crushing, Courtesy Of Xinkai INC.*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ballox. At gods kitchen there were some absolutely cracking japanese female players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Uh... you HAVE seen a pick of Starscream or whatever her face is right... NOT NICE... Cami is just freakin annoying, but tapable, SherryJynx has ****ed up teeth, Stacy the bison player is only rated as NSFW from the pros but i've never seen her myself.

*This Has Been Your Daily Dream Crushing, Courtesy Of Xinkai INC.*

There was a couple of nice ones at that ladies tournament awhile back but i think anyone who was good was rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I'm sort of torn on the idea of an all wimmens tourney.
    First off, I'm against it because Evo is basically the biggest fighting tourney around - sacrificing quality matches for an event for people who probably wouldn't get anywhere in an unrestricted tourney is just annoying.
    (Not trying to rat on female player skills, but if they were as good/better than the male entrants they wouldn't need their own tourney)

However on the flipside, as as Doom said, it might be that EVO is trying to coax out the ladies who are not playing yet because they feel too poor/ intimidated to enter the main competitions, and I'm all up for that.

Also, not a hope that I'm going to Evo this year! T'would be awesome to see a party of strapping young Irish lads over there though~ Go on ya good things ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Personally I wouldnt mind watching these playing in a tournament.

I cannot even get my head around this argument though, if the girls were any good they could play against the fella's?? And if it is just for hype f*ck it, whatever brings attention right?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sagat06 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldnt mind watching these playing in a tournament.

I cannot even get my head around this argument though, if the girls were any good they could play against the fella's?? And if it is just for hype f*ck it, whatever brings attention right?

Agreed on both counts.

I think people are still missing what I am saying above- in predominantly male passtimes like our own, when something like this happens there is a danger of a unified, negative, and mysoganistic reaction occuring which looks really bad for the community involved.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/style_council/comic-con-2009/twilight-protests/ was the example I gave. It boiled down to a bunch of 30 something men screaming whenever teenage girls passed by.

Arguments of "it's sexist to have a seperate tournament" and "it's taking up space for a beloved other fighter" are 100% fine. But I'm worried that it could lead to a comicon-like scenario, thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

My opinion on this matter

679.jpg

:pac:

Ah no. But really I think it's a silly idea for Evo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Placebo wrote: »

She can play with my stick anyday! See what i did there??!

Anyone.......

• Advertisement

animaX wrote: »
    She can play with my stick anyday! See what i did there??!

Anyone.......

She'd have to find it first Terry! :pac:

Jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Ramza wrote: »
    She'd have to find it first Terry! :pac:

Its not hard to find, it's bright red and it has my name on it :D

animaX wrote: »
    Its not hard to find, it's bright red and it has my name on it :D

HAHA you legend!

So...so..so, you let other people touch your stick at the meets :O

OT: I personally don't see a point in the femme fatale thing. WTF is the point. I mean it doesn't belong in Evo imo. In fact it's pointless anywhere really. How many female players is there who take the game seriously over there? Slim to none I'd say. Compared to the amount of male players. I don't want people to take this as sexist or w/e. I'm not saying women can't game but I just don't see a point. It's just there aren't alot of female players who are half decent I bet at the game

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cobelcog

SHE CAN PLAY WITH MY PAD ANYD-

Doesn't work :C

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Ramza wrote: »
    HAHA you legend!

So...so..so, you let other people touch your stick at the meets :O

OT: I personally don't see a point in the femme fatale thing. WTF is the point. I mean it doesn't belong in Evo imo. In fact it's pointless anywhere really. How many female players is there who take the game seriously over there? Slim to none I'd say. Compared to the amount of male players. I don't want people to take this as sexist or w/e. I'm not saying women can't game but I just don't see a point. It's just there aren't alot of female players who are half decent I bet at the game

its still fun for all the hetros out there, i know the male feed is sufficient for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

its still fun for all the hetros out there, i know the male feed is sufficient for you ;)

This coming from the guy with the handle Anti-Girl!!!

Farz, you could probably enter that tournament, GHD in hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

This coming from the guy with the handle Anti-Girl!!!

Farz, you could probably enter that tournament, GHD in hand!

I get all the girls though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I get all the girls though together and we go shopping for shoes and then go home and do our hair.

;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

The all-women tournament will just give StarSlay3r more reason to never shut up which is either good or bad, depending on whether more hilarious comedy gold comes out of her vajayjay.

• Advertisement

I play Urien in 3s for a reason ;)

jokes

Advertisement