Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVO 2K10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Looking through this thread, it looks like I spoke too soon regarding the players' choice - although the votes are hidden it looks like Melty is winning, with CVS2 second and Marvel a distant third.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

What seems to be happening is that it's a troll fest in IRC. #BlazBlue & #KOF as well as a few others are voting MB just to piss off the capcom heads.

HOWEVER, surprisingly, capcom heads are not voting in masses for 3S or MVC2, it's them that are voting for CVS2. I know i voted for CVS2, cuz MBAA just ****ing sucks..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Xinkai wrote: »
    I know i voted for CVS2, cuz MBAA just ****ing sucks..

This for me is the major problem with the public vote. All these people who aren't going to evo getting a say.

Personnally i'd prefer for 30 evo-goers to get there choice, lets say MvC2, rather then the 300 non evo-goers to get Melty blood voted in,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

the vote should be restricted to people who have paid up to enter at least one tourny.

melty blood. i mean c'mon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

FAQ on the women's tourney: http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=223895

For the tl:dr's among us:
    Women have to enter the main SFIV tourney to be elgible for the women only tourney.

That basically sorts out all my problems with the event.

• Advertisement

That makes it worse!

HMUYA wrote: »
    This for me is the major problem with the public vote. All these people who aren't going to evo getting a say.

Personnally i'd prefer for 30 evo-goers to get there choice, lets say MvC2, rather then the 300 non evo-goers to get Melty blood voted in,

But i plan on going to evo funding pending. Besides that makes it random in a way, they have to sign up for the players choice before the game is actually announced, so you could have valle, wong, daigo, heartnana, beno among other SF/BB pro's.... playing MBAA...

Sounds entertaining in a way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah completely agreed with Kneecap, how does that solve problems? That makes the event even more pointless, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

My main qualm is that the wimmens would only show up to EVO to partake in the wimmens tourney, which could possibly make the gender imbalance/segregation issue that it's trying to tackle worse. Making every participant join in the full tourney gets my approval.

Refering to women as "the wimmens" doesn't exactly help any case you have in trying to promote gender equality imo

• Advertisement

the vote should be restricted to people who have paid up to enter at least one tourny.

melty blood. i mean c'mon.

I wouldn't be so quick to write the MB community off; from what I've heard, they are extremely dedicated and if MBAA is chosen for this slot they WILL come out in force.

well it could be worse.... it could be Arcana heart!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I don't think the logic behind that works.

Surely any potential positives for women gained from having an invitational (which I am not convinced are true anyway) are lost by making them take part in the main tournament too?

I mean, if EVO rolls around and we get some cool moments and some decent play out of this which snowballs into new players then cool, but I'm not holding out hope.

BTW most people who say "teh wimmins" on boards are actually doing so in a gently self mocking way, a la the BGRH forum.

Let's cut the **** this is going to be a perv fest, a chance for uber nerds to gawk at some breasts while their owner desperately tries to mash out srks during a blockstring.

still might be funny to see jayjay knock back 8 ounce and slap some people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Yeah wimmins is just boards slang, female posters use the term too. It was never meant to be an insulting term. Just a play on words from what I picked up.

But yeah I remember ages ago stumbling across these street fighter vids :

and thinking it was a pretty cool idea and they should do it more to build up interest. Sure its pretty much just top americans players girlfriends from what I can tell but still that must be pretty cool for them to have their GF's into the game too.

But evo is going a bit too far for this kinda thing. No 3s? Wtf?

Ah well screw it. So maybe we should host our own female only tourney?

Farz against .......

farz...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Sisko wrote: »
    Farz against .......

farz...

:pac:

He'd probably lose.

Farz against .......

farz...

So many EX SBK! :pac:

But evo is going a bit too far for this kinda thing. No 3s? Wtf?

As much as I love 3S, high-level play, in America at least, has been little more than The Chun 'n' Yun Show for a few years now.

MB won the poll, BB has been dropped to make way for MVC2. good result imo

Thats about the best result that could have happened. The BB community is fairly dead apparently and the MB players seem fairly intense and geared up.
    Also EVO would not be EVO without MvC2. The only game that can replace it is MvC3 (Assuming it's good, I nearly said balanced but look what I'm taking about)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I have melty blood on my ps2, played it a few days ago. Seems like fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

HMUYA wrote: »
    So many EX SBK! :pac:

chun.jpg

FIGHT ME !

That line up really takes the piss. I didn't realise they could make it worse.

That line up really takes the piss. I didn't realise they could make it worse.

Seriously? What's your reasoning for this? What would be a better lineup from the options that were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

More girls = Higher probability to score! You lads are willing to sacrifice opportunities to score with girls for a game!? What have fighting games done to your manhood? fighting games community seems to torn off your manhood!

Its either that or I haven't been let in on a well kept secret on what the Irish fighting game community is all about :pac:

for those who didn't get that last bit, I'm referring to a word that rhymes with say and if you don't get that, then you're just thick!

On a serious note though, surely, EVO assigning a separate tournament for girls (without their being a male only tournament) is just stressing a point that "we don't take girls seriously for tournaments so thats why we're letting them have their own tournament but to keep ourselves in the clear, they can enter the main event". The lack of a male only tournament is the factor that is causing the imbalance between guys and girls. Its a fair point on the intimidation part of it but to be honest, that is something which the community has to work on separately, making a girls only tournament is only avoiding that issue by trying to remove the potential factors causing it so its not potentially solving it, its just making it more evident.

I mean for all the guys that like to take the mick out of girls playing games or attending conventions just need to be dealt with directly so including a rule to be something like any sexist remarks towards girls will be penalised. It may not work properly but just making a girls only tournament is just avoiding the problem.

Leprekaun wrote: »
    I mean for all the guys that like to take the mick out of girls playing games or attending conventions just need to be dealt with directly so including a rule to be something like any sexist remarks towards girls will be penalised. It may not work properly but just making a girls only tournament is just avoiding the problem.

If you made trash talking punishable then 75% of the American fighting game scene would be banned from evo :pac:

Kinda makes me laugh at BB players being so impatient to change BB to MvC2, seeing as how the console version of BB CS (The new one) has been set for June 25th (No word on a European date)

Goes to show you need to learn when to stfu :) now they get no BB at evo at all, and MvC2 ain't going nowhere.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    If you made trash talking punishable then 75% of the American fighting game scene would be banned from evo :pac:

The trash talking bit is fine but I mean penalisation for sexist remarks or disrespect. The EVO officials should be able to distinguish between those and trash talk.

• Advertisement

Trash talking is disrespectful, a lot of the American players are quite serious in the **** they talk about one another. That's just the way the scene is, and to be honest, if you're a woman going into that scene and want to be taken seriously I think you'd have to be able to give and take as well as any of the lads.

Advertisement