Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVO 2K10

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Trash talking is disrespectful, a lot of the American players are quite serious in the **** they talk about one another. That's just the way the scene is, and to be honest, if you're a woman going into that scene and want to be taken seriously I think you'd have to be able to give and take as well as any of the lads.

You're a 100% correct but also kind of missing the point.

The way male dominated nerd hobbies tend to go actively excludes women. they create a barrier to entry.

Most women don't get to the point where they are able to put up or shut up because with the first dip of their toes into whatever hobby they're into alot of times they're faced with alot of bull **** and go why would I bother?

Most men don't even realise when they're doing it or when it happens. For example in comic books. The girlfriend in the fridge phenomenom as they call it.

Or the example I gave about comicon (which was over films, despite the name).

These things are a problem, and to be fair it's hardly just to pick out fighting games.

I'm not sure there's a way to fix it, basically, much as I'd love to see more girls besides farz at our events.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I agree with you Doom, though I don't think the role of women in comic books as a literary device is exactly fitting with what I'm talking about (unless I'm misunderstanding your women in refridgerators comment). The comicon thing probably stems more from the fact that a large percentage of those people have social problems than what I was talking about. :pac:

edit: Also, I don't think the trash talking/exclusion factor would be a reason for any girls to not come to our events specifically at all. If anything this community is one of the most knowledgeable and willing to help and explain things about the game that I've seen. Our trash talking skills aren't exactly top quality either.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The refrigerator thing was that women are(were?) portrayed as pretty much disposable in comics books usually, but the key thing is that most of the (male) readers don't even realise it or see it as a potential problem, see. This historically made women uncomfortable reading them, to an extent.

Nah I'd say our local community would in fact be overjoyed to get some ladies involved. The problem is on a big scale, not at all a local one. :)

I haven't been reading SRK but apparently there were some nasty comments there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Tournament Registration is open...AND MANDATORY! Apparently your charm will not work on tournament admins on the day.

Also, for anyone who is heading over...there MAY be a special treat courtesy of eSports.ie. That's all I can say for now (and who knows, I could be bluffing and it was just a way of getting eSports.ie promoted.......again :pac:). Guess we'll have to wait and see (and I must book flights)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Sabre you tease :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

'Bang The Machine' to be shown at EVO 2010.
    EVO wrote:

Also, after a long haitus, Bang the Machine will be making a comeback to Evolution this year. Profiling the lifestyles of some of the Street Fighter II tournament scene’s top competitors, the documentary follows them from Sunnyvale to Las Vegas as they duke it out for the right to secure a spot on Team USA. The prize-a trip to Japan, home of the world’s most advanced video gaming culture, and the chance to take on the best in a championship match between the two national teams. While capturing the testosterone and near-obsessive intensity of the slick-fingered youths, director Tamara Katepoo also brings a sociological eye to the hierarchical politics rife in the East Coast / West Coast cliques, exposing a conflict that resurfaces in a volatile Tokyo showdown that threatens to tear apart Team USA. BANG THE MACHINE presents a refreshingly entertaining, insightful portrait of a youth culture tapped by a flourishing gaming industry larger than Hollywood. Intriguingly, it is a culture where the racial power structures of society at large are inverted (Asian Americans command the most respect, while the most feared and admired are the Japanese) and where American identity emerges precisely when they are confronted by a foe more foreign than any amongst them,

Executive Producer Peter Kang will be on hand to field any questions you might have about the movie. No recording devices of any kind are allowed.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Still annoying how you have to be at evo to see it. But yeah, 9/11 happened and the only copy available has copyrighted music in it.

Wonder what happened to this one though from 04:

Advertisement