Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German question

Options
  • 08-12-2009 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

If you have the sentence
    "Although I want to go to the shop"

Is it:

"Obwohl ich zu Laden will gehen"

Or

"Obwohl ich zu Laden gehen will"

Or put into English, if you have a sub-ordinating conjunction at the start of your sentence, with a modal verb and regular (weak) verb, which goes to the end, the modal verb or the regular verb? Or am I completely wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

"Obwohl ich zu Laden gehen will" I think is the correct one. The way I work any sentence like this with two verbs, one all ready at the end, is to put the first verb at the very end eg. Ich soll meine Hausaufgabe machen becomes weil ich meine Hausaufgabe machen soll when a sub-ordination conjunction is added. Hope that makes sense and hope it's correct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

second one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Obwohl ich zum Laden gehen will.

I think there's an M here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

What about "nach"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Obwohl möchte ich den Laden gehen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Twitter

Obwohl ich zum Laden gehen will, verb-subject-rest of sentence.

Rule is that the conjugated verb goes to the end of the clause (as opposed to the infinitive), then you lob in a comma and start the next clause with a conjugated verb too. In other words, if you look closely it lloks like to eyes and a nose: v,v :) That might help you remember it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

Obwohl ich zum Laden gehen will.

I think there's an M here

correct

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    What about "nach"?
    That's for country's and things.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm bumping this by-now ancient thread for another question. Is there any easy way to know if a word in German in masculine, feminine or neuter? Or do you just have to learn it off? :( It's serious killing my grammar (as you can see in the OP, "Ich gehe zum Laden").

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

jumpguy wrote: »
    I'm bumping this by-now ancient thread for another question. Is there any easy way to know if a word in German in masculine, feminine or neuter? Or do you just have to learn it off? :( It's serious killing my grammar (as you can see in the OP, "Ich gehe zum Laden").

Not really, I personally think half the time it is guess work but if you are unsure of the word you should look it up in the dictionary when studying because it will have whether it is masculine, feminine or neutral in the dictionary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Ubung Macht Den Meister is a book anyone learning German should have, it's an absolute lifesaver!

Masculine words:

1. Male persons and animals, z.B. der Mann, der Stier (the bull), der Arzt.

2. Names of seasons, months, days and points of the compass, z.B. der Sommer, der Januar, der Montag, der Sueden.

3. Nouns ending in -ig and -ling, z.B der Koenig, der Fruehling.

4. Nouns ending in -er denoting a person, z.B. der Lehrer, der Fahrer.

5. Most nouns ending in -en, except verbs used as nouns, z.B. der Garten, der Morgen.

Feminine words:

1. Female persons and animals, z.B. die Mutter, die Aerztin (no idea how to do umlauts on this, is there even a way? Meh, vowel+e will do), die Kuh.

2. Nouns ending in -e, z.B die Schule, die Woche.

3. Nouns ending in (brace yourself) -ei, -ie, -ik, -in, -ion, -heit, -keit, -schaft, -taet (that's t, a umlaut, t), -ung.

Neuter words:

1. Infinitives used as nouns, z.B. das Lesen, das Schwimmen.

2. Nouns ending in -ment, -tum.

3. Diminitives (giving the sense of small, like -ín in Irish), z.B -lein, -chen (das Entlein - duckling, das Maedchen).

Need help with anything else?

Advertisement