Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone help me V2

• 08-12-2009 12:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

So i got 20 Ubuntu disk's today ( i ordered two lol) and my brother told me to install it on his new laptop, so i did, a did everything perfect and it was working 100%.... But then i when i booted up windows 7 i saw that there was a un needed partition on the hard drive so i went ahead and deleted it, and i restarted the PC to boot up ubuntu, to find out that the laptop cant boot any of the OS's i have on it

i need help asap with this, if i dont fix it my brother will have my head on a stick by the morning lol, but really i nned help!!! And the answer cant be, theres nothing you can do because ill be dead!!!

I have the restore disk, Xp disk and a windows 7 disk, but all his files will be gone unless i can reboot the windows 7 that came with it, i already tried to recover it with the restore disk, and did everything it said, but it still wouldnt boot

sorry for any spelling mistakes im
    on my ipod typeing this :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

More than likely, Ubuntu installation installed grub as your bootloader and now this is gone.

You need to rewrite/fix the master boot record. You can do this with a windows XP cd in the repair console. i'd imagine it's the same with windows 7.

So boot from your CD and enter repair console.

The following command was what it was before:
    fixmbr

Might also try bootcfg / rebuild

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Yeah, it said some **** about grub, i wasnt sure what that was, im installing XP now and ill cross my fingers that it works, thanks

No theres no need to install anything. it just a matter of performing a command using the repair console... If anything you should be reinstalling windows 7 or repairing it but even this is not neccessary. It's a very simple problem.

Well my xp disk with instal and windows 7 when i try to booy says in bit letters with a white background ERROR and i cant do anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Boot from the Windows 7 installation disk, and click on "Repair your Computer" when it's loaded.

Select "Use recovery tools that can........" then click next.

Choose command prompt.

You are going to use bootsect.exe to restore the Windows boot manager.

Type:
    d:\boot\bootsect /nt60 all

Replace all with a specific drive letter if you want e.g. c:

Use the /force flag if you have to.

EDIT:
    To late :eek:

• Advertisement

I'm out dated :)

sould boot it from my rwcovery DVD is that right then follow your steps? If this works i will be over the moon! :)

You can use /nt52 to restore the pre Vista boot loader which comes in handy sometimes.

Mister Man wrote: »
    sould boot it from my rwcovery DVD is that right then follow your steps? If this works i will be over the moon! :)

I wouldn't think the recovery DVD has bootsect.exe on it.

:( the windows 7 disk isnt working! Its currently doing something to do with partitions im not even sure what this is really annoying :(

• Advertisement

You sure it's a windows 7 disk and not a recovery disk that restores your computer. You might have skipped the repair option.

Can i do anything from
    ubuntu because i know i can boot from a disk with one of those?

Can i do anything from
    ubuntu because i know i can boot from a disk with one of those?
    Yes I think so. Load it up (live cd) and open up terminal and try:

$sudo grub
    > root (hd0,0)
    > setup (hd0)
    > quit
    $ sudo reboot

I can't remember exactly how I done it before. Might not need sudo on live cd though.

The revoery disk readswindows 7 recovery media for windows 7 products this disc contains 64-bit software only, recovery dvd disc 1-1 N3414 V1.0 english spanish etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

So i got 20 Ubuntu disk's today ( i ordered two lol) and my brother told me to install it on his new laptop, so i did, a did everything perfect and it was working 100%.... But then i when i booted up windows 7 i saw that there was a un needed partition on the hard drive so i went ahead and deleted it, and i restarted the PC to boot up ubuntu, to find out that the laptop cant boot any of the OS's i have on it

i need help asap with this, if i dont fix it my brother will have my head on a stick by the morning lol, but really i nned help!!! And the answer cant be, theres nothing you can do because ill be dead!!!

I have the restore disk, Xp disk and a windows 7 disk, but all his files will be gone unless i can reboot the windows 7 that came with it, i already tried to recover it with the restore disk, and did everything it said, but it still wouldnt boot

sorry for any spelling mistakes im
    on my ipod typeing this :/
    What I would do is tell your brother to install his own ubuntu. Not as if it is that hard.
    Seems like grub is missing and the "un-needed partition" was probably the linux partition.

Would say it is as easy to fix as xp tbh

Coming to think of it, no point doing the linux stuff I don't think. The MBR of grub is there but rest and linux is gone. Find the recovery console in Windows 7.

How do i find that?
    Am i looking for the command promt thing that u have on win7/vista/XP? If so it was up a min ago copying something from a diffrent cd it told me to install

I fixed it :D

Well sort of, it deleted all the files but thats ok, there all on my normal PC so im safe :D

thanks for all the help guys :D mod fell free to close this tread :)

Advertisement