Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Garda Strike

Options
  • 08-12-2009 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I just thought I'd start this thread with the outside possibility of a Garda strike and thus a constitutional crisis on the horizon. The Gardai actually violating the law of the land and thus the constitution. National shame?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Jesus, the vision I have of an nationwide all out super strike seem to be coming to fruition! :eek:

More seriously, I don't know what to think about this. One one hand its against the law as you said on the other hand, I think its about time the front line Garda stood up to the system and all its corruption that is recking within it.

2010 is going to be an interesting year, to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Any member of AGS who strikes should be tried and if convicted they should be expelled from the force.

Plenty of people would be glad to take a Guards wages (with a 6% paycut). Everyone was happy enough to run with "market forces" when times were good, where are they now that times are bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

I think the stability of the state is possibly entering a very real and dangerous phase. It's quite unbelievable that it's getting down to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Isn't this just PJ Stone winding up some people, including a government that has shown itself fairly spineless and easy to panic. They might 'work to rule' with something or other, but probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mrmanire

Fair enough but there is a massive legal aspect to this. If Gardai strike they are violating the Garda Siochana act and thus ultimately the constitution. Would a Garda's power of arrest be valid after such an act? Would the state even be legitimate if it was to let a strike have any impact upon negotiations. Awful constitutional and legal quagmire there.

It's not going to happen but the prospect of the army even for a day performing the job of providing basic civil security is quite a scary one, actually far scarier than the thought of a bank going bust.

Do the Gardai deserve better conditions and not have their pay slashed; well open for discussion.

Should the Gardai have the right to partake in industrial action; this undermines the role of the state and thus no.

Do they have this right. No.

Therefore not an inch of credibility should be given to a possible strike or even talk of a strike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Isn't this the section from the Garda Siochana Act 2005?

59.—(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he or she induces, or
    does any act calculated to induce, any member of the Garda Sı´ocha
    ´na to withhold his or her services or to commit a breach of
    discipline.
    (2) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) is liable—
    (a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding \3,000 or
    imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or
    both, or
    (b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding
    \50,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years
    or both.

PJ Stone is trolling, but yes the matter is interesting. The pay issue needs to be discussed, perhaps folding some allowances into pay. There are a fair few fairly rickety Garda cars and motorcycles (a Kawasaki GT550 looking older than the '01 on the plate for example), and if pennypinching becomes the order of the day, there could be safety issues. I hope the government squelches this talk, otherwise they look pathetic, or even more pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

mrmanire wrote: »

Should the Gardai have the right to partake in industrial action

Yes, they are citizens too.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mrmanire

We are all born citizens but we are not all born Gardai. One chooses to become a member and thus has to accept all of the benefits and also restrictions associated with their chosen profession.

When Gardai join they take an oath to uphold the constitution; if the Gardai exercise their "right" as citizens to strike, they are thus breaking this oath and are as far as I am concerned no longer Gardai and therefore lack either authority and legitimacy as officers of the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gnxx

Isn't this just PJ Stone winding up some people, including a government that has shown itself fairly spineless and easy to panic. They might 'work to rule' with something or other, but probably not.

It is the unions. They are also playing on the fact that the majority of people support and respect the front line public service employees. The unions have decided that this is the "marketable" face of the public sector.

Let's face it -- you are going to take 13,000 gardai striking more seriously than say the 29,000 support/admin staff in the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

And as such they have ever right to hand in their notice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dinhanoi

jhegarty wrote: »
    And as such they have ever right to hand in their notice.

So lets have a total upheaval of a country's constitution and social stability , so the Garda Siochána can exercise their basic right as a citizen , and hand in their notice , voiding their oath to the country, because of a 6% pay cut.

This is the attitude that is bringing this country to its knees.

What we need is a Leader to come out and say what is wrong, and say how it will be fixed, no matter how serious it may be.

The media are driving this Public vs Private Sector Quarrel.

The most significant action by Brian Cowen thus far was cancelling the Talks with Public Trade unions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dinhanoi

So lets have a total upheaval of a country's constitution and social stability , so the Garda Siochána can exercise their basic right as a citizen , and hand in their notice , voiding their oath to the country, because of a 6% pay cut.

This is the attitude that is bringing this country to its knees.

What we need is a Leader to come out and say what is wrong, and say how it will be fixed, no matter how serious it may be.

The media are driving this Public vs Private Sector Quarrel.

The most significant action by Brian Cowen thus far was cancelling the Talks with Public Trade unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

6% pay cut is that all they're bitching about? :eek:

Before I lost my job i had gone through 11% and then another 8% on top of that! If people can survive on the dole then im sure the ags can survive too on a lower wage. its a recession. everyone has to take a pay cut. either deal with it or join the que.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 PuterMan

congo_90 wrote: »
    6% pay cut is that all they're bitching about? :eek:

Before I lost my job i had gone through 11% and then another 8% on top of that! If people can survive on the dole then im sure the ags can survive too on a lower wage. its a recession. everyone has to take a pay cut. either deal with it or join the que.

Bearing in mind also that at least some things are going down in cost then 6% seems reasonable and as congo_90 rightly says - if we can survive on the dole (just) then they can on a 6% pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jesus, the vision I have of an nationwide all out super strike seem to be coming to fruition! :eek:

More seriously, I don't know what to think about this. One one hand its against the law as you said on the other hand, I think its about time the front line Garda stood up to the system and all its corruption that is recking within it.

Stood up to the system ?
    Yet another that believes it is some mythical system that is screwing us. :rolleyes:
    We are the system, the front line Gardaí are the system as well.

Some of that corruption is the bloody front line Garda.
    You know the type of thing like dropping into a pub and getting free booze or they will continously raid the place.
    That is corruption.
    Were the schengagains up in Donegal not front line detectives ?
    mrmanire wrote: »
    Do the Gardai deserve better conditions and not have their pay slashed; well open for discussion.

No they don't deserve better pay and conditions, they don't even deserve to have their pay maintained when all other public servants are expected to take a pay cut.

What they do deserve are more collegues on the beat, better cars, better protective equipment, better computer access, a legal system that doesn't fall over backwards considering the perps as victims and thus allow danagerous criminals out on the streets through the revolving courthosue doors.

Ah, but they are citizens with a difference.
    They are supposed to uphold the law of the land and are not meant to strike or take political stands.
    If they do so they ARE breaking the law.
    Letting Police strike would be akin to having the army go on a "go slow" during wartime.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

One question. If Gardaí go on strike and you don't drive a car, will you notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Pat Kenny has promised a feature on his radio programme later this morning on how most Gardai have pensions which makes them millionaires when they retire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Jesus your sig scares the Bollixs of me

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As I said in the thread in the Irish Economy forum. The leaders of the GRA should be arrested and made face the full rigour of the law because they are inducing Gardai to with hold their service to the country.

They should face the maximum penalty of 5 years and a fine of 50k Euro as a lesson to all the other unions stirring up mischief.

On the Pat Kenny show now they are talking about the 57 ( yes , 57 ) different allowances they are entitled to..... very interesting
    eg availibility allowance of between 8 to 11 k a year if you are available outside normal hours, ; gaeltacht allowance ; aran islands allowance ; boot allowance , plain clothes allowance , dog-handlers allowance, lanzarote allowance, etc ...I am typing as its being called out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Personally I find the whole prospect gas. If turbulence ever erupts in this country between working-class people whether in the form of marches, strikes etc it'll be the cops on the frontline dealing with that; and now the law-enforcement types are the ones threatening to break the law that they signed up to enforce! A small bit of a paradox to say the least.

Joining the cops is a small bit like joining the military, you're explicitly consenting to be the armed wing (of sorts) of the state etc, and with that decision comes responsibilities as well as rights. So no sympathy here from me anyway.

Then again I've never been the biggest fan of John Law so perhaps I'm a small bit biased. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

jimmmy wrote: »
    Pat Kenny has promised a feature on his radio programme later this morning on how most Gardai have pensions which makes them millionaires when they retire.

I have seen my old fellas pension. He could get the pension for as many years as he worked and still not get close to a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

In the media we see Mr Stone threatening the State and at the same time admitting that No legal advice was sought by them before they made this threat.

Either Stone is a total fool or he knows that the political bosses of the day are a walkover.

Then we see the Minister on TV pleading with these potential State wreckers to consider their position and pleading with them to consider all the 'history' of the Force and the past members,dead and retired, and pleading with them Not to forget how well they have been looked after in the past and clearly implying that they wont be forgotten about in the future.

Stone is not a fool.

The Government are weak and a walkover.

prinz wrote: »
    I have seen my old fellas pension. He could get the pension for as many years as he worked and still not get close to a million.

Average pay in the Gardai across all ages / grades is 60,000. The average salary they get on retirement is obviously greater than that , due to promotion , age etc.
    They can retire after 30 years service - many are retiring now in their late forties / early fifties. The tax free gratuity is 18 months salary at retirement, and the pension is 50% of retiring salary. Nice pension if ya can get it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Average pay in the Gardai across all ages / grades is 60,000. The average salary they get on retirement is obviously greater than that , due to promotion , age etc.
    They can retire after 30 years service - many are retiring now in their late forties / early fifties. The tax free gratuity is 18 months salary at retirement, and the pension is 50% of retiring salary. Nice pension if ya can get it.;)

Not to mention all the income from being a landlord and various other double jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

My da retired in 1997. He was a sergeant. He did 36 years "exemplary service" as per the piece of paper he got. He'd be well over 100 before he got close to earning a million from his pension, assuming he didn't spend a penny along the way of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

PuterMan wrote: »
    Bearing in mind also that at least some things are going down in cost then 6% seems reasonable and as congo_90 rightly says - if we can survive on the dole (just) then they can on a 6% pay cut.

its common knowledge that a huge number of guards own second properties , hell , guards have been landlord long before it became a staple of irish life , they cant take a pay cut as they have financial commitments on theese investment properties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

They can retire after 30 years service - many are retiring now in their late forties / early fifties. The tax free gratuity is 18 months salary at retirement, and the pension is 50% of retiring salary.

So you agree that the millionaire statement you made earlier was completely baseless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

they let you out of jail i see jimmy :D , BOARDS jail i mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So you agree that the millionaire statement you made earlier was completely baseless?

I think he is basing his comment on this article in todays Independent.
    THEY may not realise it, but most gardai retire as millionaires. This is because the cost of buying a garda's pension on the open market would amount to €1.1m, figures calculated by pensions experts show.

Advertisement