Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Garda Strike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

Perhaps I was a bit too sarcastic in my post. Earlier in the thread there's a discussion about an article that public servants retire as millionaires. Go back and find it it's quite amusing.

I don't sèe us striking but some kind of work to rule maybe. Or what happened in 77 every member hands in their resignation 1 Months notice. That's not striking. That's not even industrial action.

I'm getting madder as the days go by. Look at the link I have to the frontlinealliance site 2 posts back. It shows that Current Public servants pay 6.5% of the 10% needed to fund current Public Service pensions. That was BEFORE the 7.5% increase from the pension levy. This looks to me like the pension bill is not only self sustaining it is profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

pah wrote: »
    My God man are you out of your Vulcan mind? :rolleyes:

Everything you have said relating to poor/foolish decision making by others in relation to property/borrowing/lending is like a mini version of the economy of the country.

The Goverments lask of foresight in all of this is going to hurt MY wallet.

How did the government get to be the government? because the same idiots kept voting them in. People had the chance to change our economic policy several times. But instead they kept voting in fine fail.

Our greedy politicians are just a mirror reflection of the greedy citizens who inhabit this island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

redarse wrote: »
    and the public sector bashing continues!! are we not going to address the reasons why we got here in the first place??

and how did we get here , let me guess , the banks , the developers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

irish_bob wrote: »

Stupid Irish people in every walk of life, private, public, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

gandalf wrote: »
    Why should we, what makes them special over the rest of us. The State doesn't have the money so there has to be cuts, is that so hard to understand?

It doesn't have money because nearly 300,000 tax payers have lost their jobs in the last 18 months and no longer pay taxes. They now draw money from the state. It doesn't have money because a large proportion of those still in employment have taken paycuts and are paying less tax. How is this so hard for people to understand.

All this bitching about mortgages and loans and commitments, do you not think that those in that horrendous 300,000 number don't have commitments?

Everyone is Frontline. To every child their parents are Frontline. To every family the bread earner is Frontline. Thank your lucky stars you have jobs that are secure. An awful lot of us are wondering what 2010 holds for us and whether we will still be employed.

What beautiful rabble rousing bullsh*t Where did the 300,000 figure come from? Judging by this there would have been 200,000 extra unemployed (Including a of others who would otherwise have been employed in the public sector). Where are these figures come from???

I don't have a job btw, although thanks for the assumption :rolleyes:

Stop spouting spurious figures and other sob story crap, till we look at this fairly. Yes cuts have to be made, and yes a lot of people are in trouble. But why not look at the other side of the story?

(Expects the usual reply - ie a carbon copy of the above but just angrier :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭redarse

irish_bob wrote: »
    No the lack of regulation in the financial regulator which allowed the over heating of the propert market e.g giving 125% mortgages to people with no hope of paying them or maybe increasing social welfare by 100%????!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭redarse

true true

• Registered Users Posts: 56,044 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Any member of AGS who strikes should be tried and if convicted they should be expelled from the force.

Plenty of people would be glad to take a Guards wages (with a 6% paycut). Everyone was happy enough to run with "market forces" when times were good, where are they now that times are bad...

Don't forget the 57 allowances I hear they are also entitled to.

Of all the PS workers, this shower are first in line at the gravy queue.

They seem to be the most 'perked' of the lot, yet they are the ones whingeing the most

walshb wrote: »
    Don't forget the 57 allowances I hear they are also entitled to.
    Of all the PS workers, this shower are first in line at the gravy queue.

Please take time to actually look at what the allowances are before you dig your hole any deeper. There are things like dog-handlers allowances, for the garda dog handlers for dog food etc. No other members get this. There is a plain clothes allowance...suprise suprise this only applies to gardaí who work in plain clothes... there is a gaeltacht allowance...again suprise suprise only applies to gardaí who get stationed in the Gaeltacht etc etc etc. No garda is "entitled" to 57 allowances.

prinz wrote: »
    Please take time to actually look at what the allowances are before you dig your hole any deeper. There are things like dog-handlers allowances, for the garda dog handlers for dog food etc. No other members get this. There is a plain clothes allowance...suprise suprise this only applies to gardaí who work in plain clothes... there is a gaeltacht allowance...again suprise suprise only applies to gardaí who get stationed in the Gaeltacht etc etc etc. No garda is "entitled" to 57 allowances.

Oh, and the Lanzaorte allowance?:eek: Don't forget that one.

BTW, I never said ONE Garda is entiltled to 57 allowances, so you take your time.

• Advertisement

Oh, and the Lanzaorte allowance?:eek: Don't forget that one.

That doesn't apply to all members either.

That doesn't apply to all members either.

Oh, and that makes it so much better.

Look, anyone who can try and justify or defend some of the perks
    the Gradai are claiming are flat out NOT living in a recessionary world.

I know they do a tough job, but they are paid well and they chose the job.

I think they need to really step back and take a look at what others are going
    tru, before they dip into some of those cosy allowances.

Oh, and that makes it so much better...

It makes it a lot better than repeating nonsense like "they are entitled to 57 allowances".

It makes it a lot better than repeating nonsense like "they are entitled to 57 allowances".

Are you saying they are NOT?

Seriously, slow down and read. I NEVER said ONE individual Garda
    is entitled to ALL 57 allowances.

It depends on the job, but to say that some of these allowances aren't
    taking the ****ing piss, is taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bringingitall

Garda Average Weekly Pay was over €1,200 in 2008

Thats a fact

See the CSO figures

They have no excuse to strike except greed

Garda Average Weekly Pay was

Poor sods!

Thats a fact

See the CSO figures

I thought you were on a weeks holidays or was that just from another thread. I see you carry that large chip from thread to thread with you. Perhaps we should change your screen name to Chip?

I thought you were on a weeks holidays or was that just from another thread. I see you carry that large chip from thread to thread with you. Perhaps we should change your screen name to Chip?

you too from pah leaping from thread to thread hoping each leap will be the leap home to the Garda forum

here's a link for all those interested

http://www.cso.ie/quicktables/GetQuickTables.aspx?FileName=PSA01.asp&TableName=Public+Sector+Average+Weekly+Earnings&StatisticalProduct=DB_PS

no reason to strike best paid public servants in the land

you too travelin from thread to thread doin your bit for the force

here's a link for all those interested

http://www.cso.ie/quicktables/GetQuickTables.aspx?FileName=PSA01.asp&TableName=Public+Sector+Average+Weekly+Earnings&StatisticalProduct=DB_PS

I'm defending my salary and making no apologies for what I get for the job I do but neither will you find me moaning about cuts, it is neccessary however much I dislike it and I do believe the budget has not been spread evenly, but I'm willing to pay my share.

Nor do I condone full strike action BTW

good

fair play to ya

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Thats a fact

See the CSO figures

i thought it wasnt possible to be greedy in the public sector

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mrmanire

Well done Brian Lenihan. It's about time someone dropped a pair of balls in this country. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dinhanoi

mrmanire wrote: »
    Well done Brian Lenihan. It's about time someone dropped a pair of balls in this country. :)

Budget = Good,

But what about Coppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

. There is a plain clothes allowance...suprise suprise this only applies to gardaí who work in plain clothes...

That's astonishing - what do other guards wear when they are not in uniform - or is it to cover the purchase of leathers when they go undercover in gay bars ?

there is a gaeltacht allowance...again suprise suprise only applies to gardaí who get stationed in the Gaeltacht etc etc etc.

Umm - why?

Shouldn't guards who are based in sleepy villages with nothing going on not also get deducted for doing less police work than say someone based in Store Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm defending my salary and making no apologies for what I get for the job I do but neither will you find me moaning about cuts, it is neccessary however much I dislike it and I do believe the budget has not been spread evenly, but I'm willing to pay my share.

pah I am glad to see you don't support the strike. Hopefully the GRA see sense and step back from their threat.

If you are up in Dublin let us know I'd love to buy you a pint and have a chat ( a friendly one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phil D

When doctors go on strike the death rates drop. Maybe we could let them have their strike and see what happens to crime rates before making any decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mrmanire

dinhanoi wrote: »
    Budget = Good,

But what about Coppers?

The arrangement with Coppers stands. The drinking, deviancy and debauchery continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Eh is it more epxensive to live in the Gaeltacht ?
    Actually found recently some of the cheapest diesel in Donegal Gaeltacht.

Does it cost more to speak Irish ?
    Lots of people work in plain civilian clothes but do they get an allowance for it ?
    Or maybe it is for Gardaí to dress up in drag as undercover prostitutes or something ?

So you do condone limited strike action or a work to rule ?

BTW what the hell is the Lanzaorte allowance ?

I am not allowed discuss …

That's astonishing - what do other guards wear when they are not in uniform - or is it to cover the purchase of leathers when they go undercover in gay bars ?

Like any job, if you have to wear x type of clothes you will either have them provided or get an allowance. There was a tax break on suits ffs.
    Shouldn't guards who are based in sleepy villages with nothing going on not also get deducted for doing less police work than say someone based in Store Street?

Does someone who works in a quite McDonalds earn less than someone working in McDonalds on O'Connell Street?

jmayo wrote: »
    Does it cost more to speak Irish ?

Allowance for relocation, Irish lessons, etc.
    Lots of people work in plain civilian clothes but do they get an allowance for it ?

Actually there was tax breaks there, but IIRC it was done away with because people were taking the p*ss.
    So you do condone limited strike action or a work to rule?

No. I don't. Not in the slightest.
    BTW what the hell is the Lanzaorte allowance ?

The so called "lanzarote allowance" is another blatant falsehood with people claiming that gardaí on holidays get paid allowances that they missed out on if they had been working. The truth of this is that a lot of gardaí do shift work. Some don't. Therefore to pay everyone extra to cover shift work would be ridiculous. So the gardaí doing shift work get an allowance for this. Those who aren't doing shift work don't. The same situation applies in the private sector with people doing shift work getting a premium for it, over a 9-5 job. So a garda is on shift work and gets x pay ( where x pay = basic pay y, and premium or allowance for shift work z). Then when he goes on paid holidays, like we're all entitled to, he gets paid x, where x is his usual weekly wage.

If the garda wasn't a shiftworker he would get his usual pay, i.e. basic pay without shift allowance.

Now when it comes to the bandwagon jumpers you'll hear - the gardaí get an allowance while on holidays for the allowances they missed out on, when in fact that 'allowance' for shift work is actually part of basic pay.

• Advertisement

Like any job, if you have to wear x type of clothes you will either have them provided or get an allowance. There was a tax break on suits ffs.

Does someone who works in a quite McDonalds earn less than someone working in McDonalds on O'Connell Street?

Allowance for relocation, Irish lessons, etc.

Actually there was tax breaks there, but IIRC it was done away with because people were taking the p*ss.

No. I don't. Not in the slightest.

The so called "lanzarote allowance" is another blatant falsehood with people claiming that gardaí on holidays get paid allowances that they missed out on if they had been working. The truth of this is that a lot of gardaí do shift work. Some don't. Therefore to pay everyone extra to cover shift work would be ridiculous. So the gardaí doing shift work get an allowance for this. Those who aren't doing shift work don't. The same situation applies in the private sector with people doing shift work getting a premium for it, over a 9-5 job. So a garda is on shift work and gets x pay ( where x pay = basic pay y, and premium or allowance for shift work z). Then when he goes on paid holidays, like we're all entitled to, he gets paid x, where x is his usual weekly wage.

If the garda wasn't a shiftworker he would get his usual pay, i.e. basic pay without shift allowance.

Now when it comes to the bandwagon jumpers you'll hear - the gardaí get an allowance while on holidays for the allowances they missed out on, when in fact that 'allowance' for shift work is actually part of basic pay.

You a Garda by any chance?;)

Advertisement