Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Garda Strike

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

walshb wrote: »
    You a Garda by any chance?;)

No I'm not, and as you can see above I am against strikes or industrial action by the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

prinz wrote: »
    Allowance for relocation, Irish lessons, etc.

So wait I thought the rent allowance was for the moving ?
    What bout garda moving to other places, lets say non Gaeltacht areas, do they get moving expenses ?

I thought they were meant to have reasonable standard of Irish to get into and through Templemore ?

Do they continue to get the Gaeltacht allowance after say 6 months, because we would assume they would have moved and had got the Irish lessons over by then ?
    See where I am going with this and your explanation ;)
    Actually there was tax breaks there, but IIRC it was done away with because people were taking the p*ss.

A bit like some public sector workers do :rolleyes:

The so called "lanzarote allowance" is another blatant falsehood with people claiming that gardaí on holidays get paid allowances that they missed out on if they had been working. The truth of this is that a lot of gardaí do shift work. Some don't. Therefore to pay everyone extra to cover shift work would be ridiculous. So the gardaí doing shift work get an allowance for this. Those who aren't doing shift work don't. The same situation applies in the private sector with people doing shift work getting a premium for it, over a 9-5 job. So a garda is on shift work and gets x pay ( where x pay = basic pay y, and premium or allowance for shift work z). Then when he goes on paid holidays, like we're all entitled to, he gets paid x, where x is his usual weekly wage.

If the garda wasn't a shiftworker he would get his usual pay, i.e. basic pay without shift allowance.

Now when it comes to the bandwagon jumpers you'll hear - the gardaí get an allowance while on holidays for the allowances they missed out on, when in fact that 'allowance' for shift work is actually part of basic pay.

Thanks for the comprehensive information, but seen as your explanation to the Gaeltacht allowance leaves a lot of unanswered questions, could I surmise the same for this ?

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    So wait I thought the rent allowance was for the moving? What bout garda moving to other places, lets say non Gaeltacht areas, do they get moving expenses ?

AFAIK no.
    I thought they were meant to have reasonable standard of Irish to get into and through Templemore?

Same standard require for pretty much any third level institution, which is to say, basic. Attempting to say they should have such a working knowledge of Irish to be able to work, explain legislation, etc through Irish by virtue of the fact they are gardaí is nonsense.
    Do they continue to get the Gaeltacht allowance after say 6 months, because we would assume they would have moved and had got the Irish lessons over by then?

Yes I think they do. They deserve it. If I got sent to work in the gaeltacht I'd want more money too.
    See where I am going with this and your explanation ;)

No, not really.;)

Same standard require for pretty much any third level institution, which is to say, basic. Attempting to say they should have such a working knowledge of Irish to be able to work, explain legislation, etc through Irish by virtue of the fact they are gardaí is nonsense.

Actually don't you have do exam to get into gardaí, part of which is Irish.
    I never had to do entrance exam to get into engineering degree in college. :rolleyes:
    The only courses AFAIK where entrance exams has come in is for medecine or priamry teaching, again which has Irish language portion.

So don't start trying to be economical with the truth that same level of Irish is necessary as for any other college course and thus they have out of their own pockets do extra Irish language coursesif they are moved to Gaeltacht.

Do they not take Irish courses in Templemore ?
    Yes I think they do. They deserve it. If I got sent to work in the gaeltacht I'd want more money too.

So this is the truth of the matter, it is becuase they deserve it :rolleyes:
    Firstly your whole excuse for the allowance is that it is for moving to the far off gaeltacht and secondly it is to take extra courses to become confortable with the language is now defunct since it appears they are still getting the allowance even if they are their 5 years.

Why should they deserve an allowance for being stationed in the gaeltacht ?
    Please tell us why ?
    Is because it is windy, dark, wet and deary for big chunk of year ?

Why not give allowance to gardaí being stationed in Limerick or Blanchardstown since they have more dangerous job what with murdering drug gangs and shootings of nightclub doormen ?

Your whole arguement sounds typical public sector entitlement.
    "We are entitled to it, because it was given once to some fella, so evermore thus it should be." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 56,044 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The VERY problem is: that they are entitled to it; that's the issue, and they are hiding behind this lame excuse, "we're entilted to it.":rolleyes:

Well, I think it's about time that these farcical entitlements (not all) were looked at very closely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Average weekly earnings up 3.2% in year to June 2009
    Average weekly earnings in the Public Sector (excluding Health) rose by 3.2% in
    the year to June 2009 from €942.81 to €973.09. This compares to a rise of 3.2% in
    the year to March 2008. Weekly earnings for the Civil Service rose by 4.7% (from
    €889.82 to €931.46) and for the Defence sector by 4.3% (from €799.65 to
    €834.06). Average weekly earnings for An Garda Síochána, inclusive of overtime,
    fell by 3.1% from €1,247.74 to €1,208.50 per week. However, their weekly
    earnings excluding overtime rose by 0.6% from €1,093.16 to €1,099.25 for the
    same period. See Table 1 and Graph.
    Over the four year period from June 2005 to June 2009, average weekly earnings in
    the Public Sector (excluding Health) rose by 16.1% from €838.35 to €973.09.
    Regional Bodies’ earnings rose by 19.2% (from €720.92 to €859.70) and Semi
    State by 17.8% (from €898.01 to €1,058.26), while the earnings for An Garda
    Síochána, inclusive of overtime, rose by 11.6%. Earnings for sectors within
    Education rose by around 13% in this period with the exception of Third Level
    which rose by 22.8% from €918.27 to €1,127.68 per week.

Read the statistics for yourselves:http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/earnings/current/psempearn.pdf

My next door neighbour is a Guard with a Mortgage on three Rental Properties.
    I Hope he has paid his NPPR and that the Taxman isn't surprised when I tell him about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

ddef wrote: »
    no i was in the car. walked around the streets. tried to make it exciting by bringing me to some "dodgy" areas. but try it was a sunday drive and a stroll in the park. Sorry, but gaurds don't have a right to go on strike. The should learn from their Military counterparts.

Now your just talking pure horse****, Work experience is done in the the station, your never allowed out to patrol as you dont sign any disclaimers and are not cover. Even if daddy was an assistant comissioner you'd not be allowed set foot on patrol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dinhanoi

mrmanire wrote: »
    The arrangement with Coppers stands. The drinking, deviancy and debauchery continues.

oh thank god, whatever about all out anarchy, if coppers were to be affected by the gardaí striking, then we would have real reason for concern

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Actually don't you have do exam to get into gardaí, part of which is Irish.
    I never had to do entrance exam to get into engineering degree in college. :rolleyes:

Maybe its all changed nowadays, but back when I went to college, you had to sit the Leaving to get points to fight for a place....in effect creating an entrance exam. Additionally, many of the courses had minimum requirements, meaning you had to achieve certain minimum grades in specific subjects.

I'm somewha surprised to learn they dumped that in favour of just blindly handing out places to applicants

bonkey wrote: »
    I'm somewha surprised to learn they dumped that in favour of just blindly handing out places to applicants

There are minimum requirements for Templemore.

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote: »
    Maybe its all changed nowadays, but back when I went to college, you had to sit the Leaving to get points to fight for a place....in effect creating an entrance exam. Additionally, many of the courses had minimum requirements, meaning you had to achieve certain minimum grades in specific subjects.

Very smart aren't we :rolleyes:
    Is that why you are a mod on this forum,becuase of your incisive contributions :rolleyes:

You know damm well what I mean about having to do sit an extra exam and interview as well as the fecking leaving cert.

I also mentioned how you had to sit extra exam,or probably more correctly termed an interview, to get primary teaching courses.

Have you any other contribution to the debate bar the one above ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

moceri wrote: »

Given that this is inclusive of overtime....

...and before application of income levy's ...

... and employment has dropped (probably causing a rise in overtime)

This says absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DUBDUBDUB

AFAIK no.

There is no requirement for a person joining the Gardai to have Irish as a language. A leaving cert standard in any other european language is fine. you do study Irish at templemore though

Advertisement