Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 OEM on 2 pcs?

• 08-12-2009 2:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

I bought an OEM (system builder pack) version of Windows 7 when it came out for my desktop pc. Works great and all with only a few minor issues however I would like to also install Windows 7 on my Samsung NC20 netbook (mainly for networking puroposes). I believe this is not possible as I have an OEM version?

Is there a way around this at all? I really can't afford to shell out more money for another copy and it doesn't seem fair that I can't use it on my netbook as well. :mad:

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,020 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dont get upset: Thats what the OEM license is. It covers 1 PC and gets tied to the Hardware. A Retail version is Hardware Independent but still only covers 1 PC at a time. To cover 2 Computers you need a 2nd license (Retail or OEM, it doesnt matter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

So there's absolutely nowt I can do about it then other than buy another copy of Win 7?

Would the edition selling below for €50 be ok to do a clean install on my netbook?

http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Windows_7_Professional_32_bit_Upgrade_Edition-details.aspx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No

It's an UPGRADE - clue is in the name, you need a LICENSED copy of windows to upgrade from. If the Netbook came with XP then use it for networking

You might be able to buy a NON-OEM copy of windows on ebay and upgrade it.

There are loads of FREE OS's out there

If you are a genuine student you can pick up windows 7 for less - check the other threads.

Of course you could always go the Free route; the Linux route.

http://gizmodo.com/5421500/linux-owns-13-of-the-netbook-marketshare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

testicle wrote: »
    ..That covers the Upgrade of 3 PCs.

But seeing as how theyve stopped issuing Family Pack licenses in the US as of last week: if you can still get the FP in Ireland - I would do so immediately.

No

It's an UPGRADE - clue is in the name, you need a LICENSED copy of windows to upgrade from. If the Netbook came with XP then use it for networking

You might be able to buy a NON-OEM copy of windows on ebay and upgrade it.

There are loads of FREE OS's out there

If you are a genuine student you can pick up windows 7 for less - check the other threads.

Not a student, just a bit skint!

So essentially what you're saying is that my only route to Windows 7 on my netbook is to buy another copy for €120 or so or try and obtain it illegally somehow?

Regarding the networking, I just can't get XP and Win 7 to see each other on my network and from what I've read it's meant to be hassle. With 2 Win 7 it's meant to be perfect.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Giles wrote: »
    So essentially what you're saying is that my only route to Windows 7 on my netbook is to buy another copy for €120 or so or try and obtain it illegally somehow?

The only recommended route to Windows 7 is to buy a licence for each system on which you want to run it. You can chance your arm with the pirated copies if you're happy to assume the version you end up with isn't riddled with spyware, rootkits or other nasties, but you're inviting trouble by doing so.

If you don't have the money to spend upgrading the netbook to Windows 7, why not spend a bit of time learning how to get XP and Win7 to see each other on the network? I've been able to share stuff between my Win7 Pro 64-bit desktop install and my Win XP Pro 32-bit laptop install over my home network with hardly any problem. Obviously it depends what you want to do, but why not explore that option instead of apparently veering towards the pirated software option and opening yourself up to all sorts of risks?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Giles wrote: »
    Not a student, just a bit skint!

Regarding the networking, I just can't get XP and Win 7 to see each other on my network and from what I've read it's meant to be hassle. With 2 Win 7 it's meant to be perfect.
    you have XP and you want 7 because it won't network :rolleyes:

make sure both are on the same workgroup name, ( windows / mshome)

have users on both with same names and same password

firewall settings - depends on which firewall you use but you should only allow the other machine through

windows 2008 server can be run in demo mode for up to 240 days for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭canine

My screen is upside down at the moment ,anyone come across this before and how do you correct it

canine wrote: »
    My screen is upside down at the moment ,anyone come across this before and how do you correct it

Something like Ctrl-Alt- Up arrow , can't remember which exact hot key but it should be in the little applet on the taskbar

depends on which video card you have ATI / INTEL etc

Advertisement