Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help please?

• 08-12-2009 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

hi everyone im looking into creating my own dance music and other types as well but is there any websites that would recommend equipment or software for someone starting out? thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Heya, welcome to the forum :)

Check the resources thread here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055583866

There you will find lost of links to free software and sounds (all legal!) that can get you started.

For the actual software used to bring it all together there are many, many choices - each has strengths/weaknesses.

Here's a short list:-

Ableton - All the DJs and self respecting dance producers have this.
    Fruity Loops - Does the job, many gimmicks.
    Reason / Record - Comes with a lot included, but limited in other ways.
    Cubase - Hardcore / Expensive
    Logic - People rave about it - used by the pros etc... (you'll need a mac)

Please bear in mind that most these programs are a MONEY PIT (apart from Reason and Ableton which come with most things you need included) - you'll end up having to buy lots of extras.

Each piece of software can probably do what you want, but everyone will tell you theirs is better ;)

Personally i'm yet to try logic - but used / seen all the others and currently in Ableton and Cubase. I have to say that Ableton is a joy compared to everything so far - even with it's problems.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

id advise that you download the demos of each of the main daws and see which one you think suits you best and then you can buy the full version of the one you like the most. for ease of use id say start with Fruity Loops or Ableton (you can get a free 30day trial of that from the ableton site)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Please bear in mind that most these programs are a MONEY PIT (apart from Reason and Ableton which come with most things you need included)

i know this ties in with "everyone will say theres is the best"but logic does come with absolutely everything you need to make a complete track(synths,samples,effects,mastering effects).:)

id also argue that abletons inbuilt effects on the whole are ****e and youll end up having to buy vsts to do some of the jobs.but this is all personla choice.at the end opf the day you can get great results from any of them

Advertisement