Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prices went down?

Options
  • 08-12-2009 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

There's a lot talking that prices went down and loads of goods and services are priced chaper because of the famous Recession. So in fact all the paycuts are nearly totally painless. Sure.

Here's what I've noticed:

Chocolate bars - same price
    Soft drinks - same
    Can of Guinness - no change
    Bus tickets - up
    Hoagie in Spar - no change
    Coffee in Munchies - no difference
    Smokes - up?
    Toys - same price
    Video games - same
    No change in petrol.
    Clothes - haven't seen much difference
    Also no difference in mobiles, laptops, phonce calls, text messages, GP visits, bread, milk, lemons and cheese.

Either my perception of reality is disturbed or someone's talking bollix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

i believe the "Reduction in prices" is mainly due to the fall in interest rates and oil prices.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Don't know abouy anyone else , but my money is going further in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Well the CSO use a bigger basket than you. Electricity is down, especially for those with the gumption to change supplier. Many foodstuffs are down. Laptops have always come down. Yes fags are up, as the government wish to dissuade people from buying them, but these should have no part to play in a price index used to determine pay rises etc.

You have a point about GP visits, GPs dentists, hairdressers etc have not reduced their charges as everyone else's wages have fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Yes our weekly shop is going a lot further than it used to. for 45 a week me and the OH are well fed from tesco. And that includes some quality fresh meat. But you are right about other things. Transport has definitely gone up for us with the train being silly expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Yep. My E50 is going way further in the supermarket. And barbers are down too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    Either my perception of reality
    I'm going with this?

How about rent? Mortgage interest? Fuel prices? Clothing price have been dropping for more than a decade - you can get a pair of jeans in Dunnes for €6. Unless you buy a a dozen bars a of chocolate a day, you spend a lot more on housing than in chocolate.

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/prices/current/cpi.pdf

Decreases

Housing, Water, Electricity, Gas & Other Fuels (-28.8%),
    Clothing & Footwear (-12.8%),
    Food & Non-Alcoholic Beverages (-6.4%),
    Furnishings, Household Equipment & Routine Household Maintenance (-4.1%)
    Transport (-3.1%).

Increases

Education (+11.2%),
    Alcoholic Beverages & Tobacco (+7.1%),
    Miscellaneous Goods & Services (+6.0%)
    Health (+3.0%).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Everybody has their own personal inflation/deflation rate based on the goods and services they use. The CPI is a weighted average for whole economy. Rent has come down a lot as have non fixed rate mortgages. Food is down 6% over past year according to CSO and most pubs and restaurants have offers/deals on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

koHd wrote: »
    for 45 a week me and the OH are well fed from tesco
    PM me how you manage do it. I've never ever left Tesco paying less than 100e. Made a small progress switching to Lidl: between 60-80e for a week.

Tesco is a phenomenon, no matter how many thing I get for "free" (buy one get one free) I always seem to pay the same amout without having the menu changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

PM me how you manage do it. I've never ever left Tesco paying less than 100e. Made a small progress switching to Lidl: between 60-80e for a week.

Tesco is a phenomenon, no matter how many thing I get for "free" (buy one get one free) I always seem to pay the same amout without having the menu changed.

Well there is just the two of us. And we buy stuff to make meals from scratch. No chocolate or chrisps or anything like that. We also do our shop online, which we find helps us be more frugal with our money. You can find deals easier and tend to make less impulse purchases that way. It's also only 4 euro delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Victor wrote: »
    I'm going with this?

How about rent?

Mortgage interest?

Fuel prices?

Clothing price have been dropping for more than a decade - you can get a pair of jeans in Dunnes for €6.

No change. Was on the same rent 6 years ago and it hasn't changed, so it means there was no reason to drop down.

Mortgage - well, I just start my adventure with mortgage so wish me best of luck ;)

Fuel? No, didnt notice any change...Since it exceeded 1e 4 years ago never came back any lower.

Clothing? Same type of shoes I buy, same trousers. Always ca. 80/50e respectively. If you dont go down with quality, the price seems to stay on the same level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Don't know where they're getting those from!!! Personal experience is as follows:

NO CHANGE

down, but I wouldn't say as much as that

Might be right, down slightly

Seems about right

Transport (-3.1%).
    Definitely not. Petrol and taxis are up

In fact, with the exception of laptops, I think the OP's post is spot-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Food is way down.

If your not brand loyal you can shop now cheaper than any time i can remember. Tesco and Lidl have excellent value at the moment. If you cook food at home yourself and prepare it all yourself it will cost very little. I spend about 60euro a week on food for myself. This includes all my dinner's, lunch's and so on. I dont buy the cheapest stuff but neither do i buy the most expensive.

Electronic items have come way down in price.
    Flights and hotels have come way down.
    Many restaurants have special offers on now.
    Rent is down.
    House prices are down.
    Car prices are down.
    Gas and electricity are down.
    Price of trades men are down.
    Diy products are down. ( i have taken advantage of this)

In general almost Everything is coming down in price!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Don't know where they're getting those from!!! Personal experience is as follows:

NO CHANGE

down, but I wouldn't say as much as that

Might be right, down slightly

Seems about right

Transport (-3.1%).
    Definitely not. Petrol and taxis are up

In fact, with the exception of laptops, I think the OP's post is spot-on.

Theres loads of taxi companies offering 20+% discounts on meter price. Prices will tkae a good while to move towards EU average but thats where we are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Liam Byrne wrote: »

NO CHANGE

What's your situation with this one, are you renting or paying a mortgage?

If it's a mortgage, your repayments should be down due to the interest rate.

If you're renting, you should definitely be having a chat with your landlord about dropping the rent, or else consider moving. A lot of empty apartments at the moment, and there are landlords willing to do deals, waive deposits etc at the moment. Plus yours may not want the hassle of having to get a Building Energy Rating done, if he hasn't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Prices went down?
    There's a lot talking that prices went down and loads of goods and services are priced chaper because of the famous Recession.

NAMA is attempting to keep peoperty prices up. So that price should not be reducing if the billions invested are successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Chocolate bars - same price - Special offers on constantly for different brands, 2 for €1 etc.
    Soft drinks - same - same as above, saw two bottles of pepsi for €1 in spar last night
    Can of Guinness - no change - Don't drink Guinness.
    Bus tickets - up - Agreed
    Hoagie in Spar - no change - Don't eat Hoagies what are they €4.99? I can get a roll at the deli counter made up fresh for <€3
    Coffee in Munchies - no difference - Don't go to coffee shops like this, they were a rob years ago and still are
    Smokes - up? - Don't smoke, don't care
    Toys - same price - Don't buy toys
    Video games - same - Don't buy video games, second hand books and dvds and video games ftw
    No change in petrol.
    Clothes - haven't seen much difference - Depends where you shop.
    Also no difference in mobiles, laptops, phonce calls, text messages, GP visits, bread, milk, lemons and cheese. - lots of phone special offers esp if you switch provider, food is all on special offers more often, deals on mobiles and laptops..

I think it's disturbed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pretty much anything that isnt related to the gov has come down,
    so things that havent public transport, hospital fees, dentists?, gp fees, any taxes, watch the 2nd property tax go through the roof,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

2L milk(Avonmore/Premier) as an essential has come down. Was about €2.19, now €1.79 in my local 'pricey' Spar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

prinz wrote: »
    Bus tickets - up - Agreed.

let me guess you are using heavily unionized (semi?)state bus service? how about this
    The row has provoked a price war on the route, with fares as low as €1 for some online bookings with Citylink.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1117/1224258982405.html

anyways

2v8s66r.png
    http://www.ronanlyons.com/2009/11/17/rents-hit-their-lowest-level-in-a-decade/

seems anything thats not tied to public sector / government or high fuel costs has gone down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Chocolate bars - shop around, plenty of bargains.
    Soft drinks - shop around and be willing to change brand. e.g., Pepsi / Diet Pepsi 2 litres are €1 in Dunnes this week, next week it'll be a different product on special in Tescos or Dunnes.
    Can of Guinness - off license prices have totally plummeted over the last 5/6 years. Guiness may be an exception, I don't know.
    Clothes - definitely falling in price, lovely t-shirts in primark for €5. (Designer stuff still expensive)
    mobiles - same price, but better models.
    laptops - i'd say half the price they were 3 years ago.
    phone calls, text messages - texts are now effectively free, they sure as hell weren't when I got my first mobile.
    Milk - 1.45 for a 2-litre, less than it was 5 years ago.

Sorry Phil, your perception of reality is disturbed.

• Advertisement

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    let me guess you are using heavily unionized (semi?)state bus service? how about this..

I have no choice in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I notice much much more special offers (which actually make sense -> decent savings), also almost constant sales in high street clothes shops in one form or another as opposed to more defined sale seasons. Our money goes a loooong way in Aldi, their offers are geting better and better and food quality is top notch. Even lunch places and takeaways are coming up with 2 for 1 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

jhegarty wrote: »
    Don't know abouy anyone else , but my money is going further in the supermarket.

same with me - ...I shop in Tesco though I'd prefer to shop in an Irish store like Dunnes. However, I find Tesco to be far more competitive than Dunnes and especially Supervalu.

Although many prices have fallen, some have seemingly not such as professional fees, transport etc.

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Perception is as disturbed as gary glitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

prinz wrote: »
    I have no choice in the matter.

yeh that sucks :(

another reason why they should be privatized, semi privatization of ESB brought more competitors and new energy market in, i dont understand why they cant do that with transport

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Looking forward to a trip home for xmas so, sounds like my money will go even further in Dublin than Berlin these days! Never seen 2 bottles of Pepsi for one Euro in a Spar type shop. Clothing in Ireland is definitely cheaper though, especially Irish bargain suppliers like Penny's versus German bargain suppliers like Woolworth (Germany). Penny's wins by a mile. I used to buy t shirts etc. in penney's during the 'boom' and to be fair, they were always cheap-I hope they do very well out of this recession and that Irish people return to non branded clothing (paying for nothing often times) wherever possible.

On the flipside, my mates find the likes of Hugo Boss is much cheaper in Berlin. Perhaps the Berliners aren't as easily conned out of their hard earned.....

murphaph wrote: »
    Perhaps the Berliners aren't as easily conned out of their hard earned.....

Perhaps doesn't come into it, it's definite. Personally find people, especially French, German and the low coutries to be incredibly thrifty i.e. making perfect dinners out of a few cheap ingredients/cheap cuts of meat, buying a few cheap items of clothes and mixing and matching to get a designer look etc. I reckon it's in the national psyche because of the wars. Even when they have money they don't tend to 'flash' it like we seem to love doing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

There's a lot talking that prices went down and loads of goods and services are priced chaper because of the famous Recession. So in fact all the paycuts are nearly totally painless. Sure.

Here's what I've noticed:

Chocolate bars - same price
    Soft drinks - same
    Can of Guinness - no change
    Bus tickets - up
    Hoagie in Spar - no change
    Coffee in Munchies - no difference
    Smokes - up?
    Toys - same price
    Video games - same
    No change in petrol.
    Clothes - haven't seen much difference
    Also no difference in mobiles, laptops, phonce calls, text messages, GP visits, bread, milk, lemons and cheese.

Always offers on chocolate bars now.
    Always offers on soft drinks too.
    Who the hell would drink Guinness from a can?
    Mine stayed the same.
    Wouldn't know.
    Wouldn't know.
    Slightly.
    Wouldn't know.
    Video games have come down plenty if you shop around. Got the new CoD for 40 quid and up til a few months ago the old one was that price second hand. Games consoles have also come way down.
    Little change.
    Clothes have been getting cheaper for years if you don't look at the label.
    Mobiles and laptops and electronics haven't come down? ROFLCOPTER!
    Groceries have come down plenty with constant offers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Can of Guinness - no change - €27 for a crate in tesco
    Smokes - up? - TS
    Video games - same - Batman AA (new) ~€22 as an example. In fact I haven't paid over €35 for a game this year! (FIFA 10 was €35 at release)

My grocery bill is certainly down. a lot! I prefer to shop in Dunnes too (unless the bargains are exceptional in Tesco)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I notice a bar of chocolate is down in my local shop, compared to what it was a year ago. A hamburger in McDonalds is one euro ; great value when I remember paying 68 pence or so old money in 1980 for the same thing. Flights out of the country are a lot less. You could go to Australia and back for a weekend, for the equivalent of a weeks gross salary for many people. 30 years ago I remember unionised Aer Lingus charging me a few hundred quid to go to England, when a few hundred quid was a lot of money. Cars are coming down. Some people never had more disposable income.

Advertisement