Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prices went down?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    There's a lot talking that prices went down and loads of goods and services are priced chaper because of the famous Recession. So in fact all the paycuts are nearly totally painless. Sure.

Here's what I've noticed:

Chocolate bars - same price
    Soft drinks - same
    Can of Guinness - no change
    Bus tickets - up
    Hoagie in Spar - no change
    Coffee in Munchies - no difference
    Smokes - up?
    Toys - same price
    Video games - same
    No change in petrol.
    Clothes - haven't seen much difference
    Also no difference in mobiles, laptops, phonce calls, text messages, GP visits, bread, milk, lemons and cheese.

Either my perception of reality is disturbed or someone's talking bollix.

I'm going with this, I'm afraid.

Prices have gone down. Not perhaps on the luxuries you choose to list (smokes??, video games? Coffee in where???), but on staples such as fuel, energy, bread, milk and associated grocery products. In other words, on the things that actually matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

yeh for sure

one has to have a very weird lifestyle not to notice prices drop on just about everything

on another note, Buckfast got more expensive :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Car Insurance - up 30-40% on last year round the board

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

jimmmy wrote: »
    Some people never had more disposable income.

:D That would be me. Never had much to begin with so have always lived within a budget. This is when I get sick of all this nonsense about kids being disappointed this Christmas if the Christmas SW bonus is cut, kids will get over it ffs. I was often disappointed when what I asked for santa couldn't deliver. I grew to understand that 'santa' always did their best and got what they could. Important life lesson.

No debts, money in the bank and living better than I was a year or two ago. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    one has to have a very weird lifestyle not to notice prices drop on just about everything..

People who spent years spending and not noticing the price of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Car Insurance - up 30-40% on last year round the board

yea? I think car insurance seems to be something that people don't haggle on.

Mines just sky dived for years.

sometimes they chance they're arm on renewal and I simply move somewhere else, but more times than not they keep me by reducing the premiuim.

I've often had sales rep's from the same company compete against each other.

people need to do more and stop bending over taken it up the rear.

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    There's a lot talking that prices went down and loads of goods and services are priced chaper because of the famous Recession. So in fact all the paycuts are nearly totally painless. Sure.

Here's what I've noticed:

Chocolate bars - same price
    Soft drinks - same
    Can of Guinness - no change
    Bus tickets - up
    Hoagie in Spar - no change
    Coffee in Munchies - no difference
    Smokes - up?
    Toys - same price
    Video games - same
    No change in petrol.
    Clothes - haven't seen much difference
    Also no difference in mobiles, laptops, phonce calls, text messages, GP visits, bread, milk, lemons and cheese.

Either my perception of reality is disturbed or someone's talking bollix.

"You're doing it wrong"

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

ntlbell wrote: »
    yea? I think car insurance seems to be something that people don't haggle on.

Mines just sky dived for years.

sometimes they chance they're arm on renewal and I simply move somewhere else, but more times than not they keep me by reducing the premiuim.

I've often had sales rep's from the same company compete against each other.

people need to do more and stop bending over taken it up the rear.

Well I'm a big haggler, and I renewed my insurance in October, got quotes from EVERYBODY, both online and then the phone call afterwards to haggle some more, best I could get this year was €595 after paying just over €400 last year, if you take a look at the threads on the motors forum you'll see most people are finding the same, maybe you're just one of the lucky ones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I find my money definately goes further in the supermarket, although I have started to shop around more and watch out for bargains, will bulk buy something if it is very good value and can be frozen or if it is tinned etc. Rent is also down over 100 euro per month. Car insurance is up for renewal in march so will see about that. Electrical goods have definately fallen with big sales in many retail outles, Harvey Norman have been advertising a sale for the past month. Overall I find better value nearly everywhere at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Rent is down again this year. Noticeable decrease in cost of the essentials - groceries, energy, and clothing.

As for discretionary spending - eating out in Dublin is considerably cheaper (but high by international standards), but unsurprisingly most pubs are still holding on to their VFI "price freeze". No idea about the cost of games, smokes or junk food.

Minor increase in transport costs. Only substantial increase this year has been in cost of insurance - car, home and health insurance. I'd expect further increases in this area in the New Year. VHI/Quinn have already promised health hikes, while insurers have starting telling us that we'll all be paying to cover recent flood damage.

Overall I find it hard to believe that anyone who keeps a close eye on their spending will not have noticed price drops. Though if you do your shopping in Spar, then this probably doesn't apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Did prices really go down?
    To me it seems there is many more offers, true.
    But once the offers are expired, the price is the same as it used to be.

That, to me, doesnt mean the prices have gone down.

inforfun wrote: »
    Did prices really go down?
    To me it seems there is many more offers, true.
    But once the offers are expired, the price is the same as it used to be.

That, to me, doesnt mean the prices have gone down.

can you show some examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

In fairnes electricity has come down 20%

First of all last Jan ESB reduce their prices and then a move to Bord Gais ment another reduction! So ESB is down.

Board Gais reduce their prices twice during the year.

Washing powder has drop alot since tesco drop their prices 3 months a go and actually right now you can get Persil big bottle for 5.25 and was 8.50 in tesco.

Most food has dropped except for Fizzy drinks and chocolate bars but we should all notice at least 10 euro in savings a week these days on shopping.

Process foods havent dropped but who buys that fat food anyhow.

Also if you shop smart and bulk buy when deals are on you be saving at least 100 a month. 2 of use use to spend 400 on shopping a month now its 300, and its not we are cutting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

ntlbell wrote: »
    can you show some examples?

It is more a feeling i have than that i can back it up with real figures to be honest.
    Just looking at the totall bill of my shopping, i am not all of a sudden paying 10/15 euro less each time i do a proper shopping compared to a year ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

http://www.nca.ie/eng/Research_Zone/Reports/NCA-price-survey-2009-07-22-Branded-Own-Brand-Trends.xls

Up to July 2009. Prices have dropped more since then. Compare with the peak in summer 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement