Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV for New Zealand, my God the drama!!

Options
  • 08-12-2009 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

So, decided to apply for my WHV here to do summer in Paihia and applied yesterday, all grand. Got an email to say i needed to provide medical check and chest x-rays so i called them and asked why, they said its a system error ring back in the morning.

Turns out a new law has been passed that everybody applying for WHV for here either in or out of NZ has to do a full medical.. costing NZ$330!!!!!

Anyone had this before? Didnt think it would be this hard at all... and takes up to a month to get the visa, thats after the 5 day wait to get the blood tests!!

Summer wil be over by the time i get it :(

Anyone do all this and NOT get it???

SM x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Are you planning to stay for over 12 months?

If not there is no medical requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Are you planning to stay for over 12 months?

If not there is no medical requirement.

Eh? The law says the WHV is for a maximum of 12 months. Therefore she must do the medical. How exactly would she prove she'd get another visa to stay for longer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Confab wrote: »
    Eh? The law says the WHV is for a maximum of 12 months. Therefore she must do the medical. How exactly would she prove she'd get another visa to stay for longer?

You can get a Visa for a WHV longer than 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Confab wrote: »

Im confused. What are you talking about?

It says on the gov website that you only need xray and medical test if you are staying for over 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

See, exactly!! This is where im coming from!! I can only think that cos i entered the country on a tourist visa on 19th Oct and if i do fill my 12 months whv it will take me over the 12 months???

They only tell me that its cos im already in New Zealand!!

Medical tomorrow so fingers crossed after all this i get accepted, its a holy joke! Would i be able to claim it on travel insurance would ye reckon??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

supermouse wrote: »
    See, exactly!! This is where im coming from!! I can only think that cos i entered the country on a tourist visa on 19th Oct and if i do fill my 12 months whv it will take me over the 12 months???

They only tell me that its cos im already in New Zealand!!

Medical tomorrow so fingers crossed after all this i get accepted, its a holy joke! Would i be able to claim it on travel insurance would ye reckon??

I doubt it as technically it is voluntary. You could check with your travel insurance company though.

I know the medical is a pain but I think it's valid for 12 months if you apply for a further visa - you'd need to check with immigration but it says somewhere that you do not need to re-submit a medical if you've submitted one in the last 12 months (I think that's the timeframe)

Advertisement