Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

games with Irish characters in them

Options
  • 08-12-2009 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

been playing the saboteur for the last couple of days and im lovingthe game. its great to play an Irishman (even if the accent is terrible but the yanks expect us all to sound like darby o gill ) but it got me thinking which games have Irish characters.

the Green Beret from the commando games
    atlas from bioshock (kind of)
    the pilot from mercenaries 2
    the gaa game for the playstation years ago

any more

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Henry from No More Heroes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

The irish team in FIFA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

most sports sims probably
    you can play as the irish in freeciv...probably a few other games like that that allow it.
    I think Anna and Nina Williams in Tekken are Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Bioshock. The guy that leads you around with instructions at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

Smackdown vs Raw series-Finlay *he's northern irish though*

I presume one of the McRearys in GTA could have been born in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

the main character in the saboteur is irish.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The majority of Irish characters in games are actually Oirish. And even then, the accent's get pretty bad. Not as bad as Brad Pitts though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The snake from Shadowman - awful, awful game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

The snake from Shadowman - awful, awful game.

it was terrible alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Ewan [when being called in for helicopter transport] "Always counting on me to come save your bacon!"

Ewan "Fair bit of scratch in this place isn't there?"
    Fiona "And you are?" *Points Gun at him*
    Ewan "Intrigued..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

The scene in Broken Sword that was based in Ireland. Lots of Irish characters there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Isn't one of the player characters in Far Cry 2 Irish?

Can't remember the name coz the game was so sh1te

Nina from Tekken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

The entire cast of Folklore.

fun fact - the village of Doolin where the game is set was called lemrick in the Japanese version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

its great to play an Irishman (even if the accent is terrible but the yanks expect us all to sound like darby o gill )

Could be worse, they could have got our national flag backwards
    MW2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Could be worse, they could have got our national flag backwards
    MW2 :(

Ivory Coast FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Isn't Colin Moriarty in Fallout 3 Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

One of the characters from Bushido Blade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

There a mercenary in Tomb Raider Underworld with an Irish accent (and a real one too as far as I can tell).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

The hero Patrick Galloway from Clive Barker's Undying (great game - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Barker's_Undying)

Funny interview with Barker about the hero:

http://www.sharkygames.com/games/articles/undying_interview/
    We had this fellow called Magnus. Count Magnus Wolfram. Who was bald, tattooed, looked like a comic book hero. And I got them all in a room, and I said, "Look, does anyone in this room know a count? No. Does anybody in this room know anybody called Magnus? No. Does anybody really want to be in this guy's skin? Since this is a first person play, why would you want to be in this man's skin? Why would you want to play [as him]?" And so we threw him out, and I said, "Look. You've got a gay man in charge here. Bring me somebody I want to sleep with. Bring me somebody fabulously sexy."

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

clive barkers undying - set in ireland in the '30s iirc

'Packie', irish lad in GTA4 (Im sure theres way more across the series)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

cant think of a single "decent" irish person in a game only stupid plastic paddies or diddly idle bleedin idle sterotypes - would love to see an irish person done right - sick of square jawed cut paste marines etc.

Any voice actor that bases their irish accents on the lucky charms leprechaun can gtfo (the guy that does the voice of saboteur is a prick)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Vyse wrote: »
    The scene in Broken Sword that was based in Ireland. Lots of Irish characters there!

haha was gonna say that one myself, had a blast playing through that game, and the second one.

I wish they stuck with the point and click style as the others just didn't keep me hooked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Isn't Colin Moriarty in Fallout 3 Irish?

Yeah think he is to be sure to be sure to be sure.

Fa fa fi fa fa fo fa fa fum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I recall there were a few characters in Dreamfall: The Longest Journey with Irish accents - not overtly Irish but they clearly had an Irish voice actor in the cast.

Aside from that, Broken Sword and Folklore are the obvious ones for me - the main female character in Folklore especially was pretty good I thought, although there were some really bad Irish accents in the game to go along with it. A couple of the sequels to Broken Sword also had Irish characters in them too.

Oh, and the narrator from Viva Pinata, nearly forgot that!

Oh and was the guy in Bioshock Irish?

I only played through it in my friends so cant really remember as we wizzed through it and my memory aint what it used to be :P

EDIT:
    atlas from bioshock (kind of)

Doh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'm assuming the people raging about 'dem yanks' and oirish accents also spare a bit of righteous anger for the retarded french/german/every****ingaccentonthefaceofthe****ingplanet in games and movies?

there are sweet **** all people living on this Island, what do you expect them to do? every time they want an irish person in a game or movie they have to fly someone over here with a mic and a talent competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Best is deffo the ones in Broken Sword.

One of them sounds like Podge haha.

i'm assuming the people raging about 'dem yanks' and oirish accents also spare a bit of righteous anger for the retarded french/german/every****ingaccentonthefaceofthe****ingplanet in games and movies?

there are sweet **** all people living on this Island, what do you expect them to do? every time they want an irish person in a game or movie they have to fly someone over here with a mic and a talent competition?

No but they could perhaps do some "research" and refrain from using darby ogil and the little people as an example of what an irish accent sounds like :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they're not making games soley for the irish market

whatever you think you sound like, or you think someone from mayo sounds like.. we all sound alike to people from other countries, and we all sound like diddly eye tweed cap wearing mother****ers.

deal with it

Advertisement