Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

games with Irish characters in them

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

i'm assuming the people raging about 'dem yanks' and oirish accents also spare a bit of righteous anger for the retarded french/german/every****ingaccentonthefaceofthe****ingplanet in games and movies?

there are sweet **** all people living on this Island, what do you expect them to do? every time they want an irish person in a game or movie they have to fly someone over here with a mic and a talent competition?

Pretty much this.

And i like the "oirish" accents, personally. They're usually unintentionally hilarious.
    And i can't really find it in myself to get all butthurt because a developer didn't spend money getting a "real Irish" person when it'd only matter to a tiny % of their market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

they're not making games soley for the irish market

whatever you think you sound like, or you think someone from mayo sounds like.. we all sound alike to people from other countries, and we all sound like diddly eye tweed cap wearing mother****ers.

deal with it

But it's so much more fun to mock them :P

And your informaton is false, just so you know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

If you have a game like saboteur with an Irish main character, its hardly pushing the boat out to outsource your voice recording or even some of it, to an irish studio.

We have got internets here after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

they're not making games soley for the irish market

whatever you think you sound like, or you think someone from mayo sounds like.. we all sound alike to people from other countries, and we all sound like diddly eye tweed cap wearing mother****ers.

deal with it

+1 Iaugh when people call that D4 accent american. If americans heard them speak they they talk with stereotypical accent. same way people in ireland always do that high pitched 'so cal' accent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i'm assuming the people raging about 'dem yanks' and oirish accents also spare a bit of righteous anger for the retarded french/german/every****ingaccentonthefaceofthe****ingplanet in games and movies?

there are sweet **** all people living on this Island, what do you expect them to do? every time they want an irish person in a game or movie they have to fly someone over here with a mic and a talent competition?

simon cowell is very very interested

• Advertisement

If you have a game like saboteur with an Irish main character, its hardly pushing the boat out to outsource your voice recording or even some of it, to an irish studio.

We have got internets here after all.

But it's cheaper to do it locally and nobody but the Irish seem to care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

To be fair, we can distinguish American accents, I mean we're all aware that the 'so cal' accent isn't say a Texas accent. They're very different, as are most Irish accents. There may be less, but a D4 accent, a Dublin accent, Cork accent, etc. are all really different, surely the American or whatever country the producer of the game is based in can hear the difference.

Plus NO ONE talks like any American actor does an Irish accent! NO ONE!!!

Surely the person who thinks, lets stick in an Irish character has some affinity with Ireland, from parents, grandparents or SOMETHING! So they really should make more of an effort. They would get in serious trouble if they had some really stereotypical African, remember RE5?

Plus have they not seen a Colin Farrell movie... he sort of has an authentic accent... 'AH DAREDEVIL ME BLEEDIN HANDS YE PRICK!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I suppose it does sort of seem like anyone from outside of Britain (well, England anyway) or the United States in a game or film is not allowed to be a normal person, but has to be a stock character or walking stereotype.

To be fair, we can distinguish American accents, I mean we're all aware that the 'so cal' accent isn't say a Texas accent. They're very different, as are most Irish accents. There may be less, but a D4 accent, a Dublin accent, Cork accent, etc. are all really different, surely the American or whatever country the producer of the game is based in can hear the difference.

Plus NO ONE talks like any American actor does an Irish accent! NO ONE!!!

Surely the person who thinks, lets stick in an Irish character has some affinity with Ireland, from parents, grandparents or SOMETHING! So they really should make more of an effort. They would get in serious trouble if they had some really stereotypical African, remember RE5?

Plus have they not seen a Colin Farrell movie... he sort of has an authentic accent... 'AH DAREDEVIL ME BLEEDIN HANDS YE PRICK!'

Oh hey, yank accents! Well we're talking about a country about as big as Europe, So guess what?
    That Texan accent you think you can identify...As close to the real thing as the Oirish one you're complaining about.

Jesus Christ people, these accents like the Oirish one, the sterotypical british upperclass one or the mockney one, all those? They exist for one simple reason, they are almost universally understood in the western world.

Want to get across that Guy X is from Texas, stick him in a cowboy hat and give him a southern drawl that makes it sound like glacial drift is talking.

There, job done. Guy X is from Texas, everyone knows it.

It's not a vendetta against us or anything, grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

smooch71 wrote: »
    Isn't one of the player characters in Far Cry 2 Irish?

Can't remember the name coz the game was so sh1te

Frank Bilders. If You played as him You never got to see him which happened to me. Didn't fancy starting again, the game was so repeditive I gave up*after 45-50%. Got to see him while the young fella was playing tho, didn't miss much

FarCry22008-10-2216-47-28-73.jpg

• Advertisement

Oh hey, yank accents! Well we're talking about a country about as big as Europe, So guess what?
    That Texan accent you think you can identify...As close to the real thing as the Oirish one you're complaining about.

Jesus Christ people, these accents like the Oirish one, the sterotypical british upperclass one or the mockney one, all those? They exist for one simple reason, they are almost universally understood in the western world.

Want to get across that Guy X is from Texas, stick him in a cowboy hat and give him a southern drawl that makes it sound like glacial drift is talking.

There, job done. Guy X is from Texas, everyone knows it.

I'm not really complaining, I just think it's a bit mad that they can't get the accent right at all. It's not a big deal really, just odd that it's so different from the real thing, even though there are Irish people like Colin Farrell and Cillian Murphy who are household names outside Ireland and speak nothing like an oirish fiddle di di accent. You'd just think someone would notice... begorrah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I think there's a character in WET that's Irish. He's got red hair and the stereotypical 'Paddy' accent, so I'm going to assume he's Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

we only know them accents because of americansation. 99% of us people never heard an irish person speaking. its like before my parents returned to ireland the only british accent i knew was the posh one, since ireland has so much brit media i can now recognise a manchester accent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

The vault dweller's dad from f3 voiced by Liam Neeson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Wossack wrote: »
    'Packie', irish lad in GTA4 (Im sure theres way more across the series)

Just playing the Packie missionsin GTAIV now. Packie is Irish-American. New York accent.

Well, at least we're popular!

Now where's that shil... how do you even spell shileleah????

Um, now where's that... pot o gold? I know less Irish stereotypes than any American, maybe they know they accent better than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Burgo wrote: »
    The vault dweller's dad from f3 voiced by Liam Neeson.

I wonder how in the case of moriarty, someone 200 years into an apocalypse, would travel to the US?

Ireland must be worse off, super mutant mary harneys or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭elpresdentde

The entire cast of Folklore.

fun fact - the village of Doolin where the game is set was called lemrick in the Japanese version.

thats more then i was hoping for a half decent game set in Ireland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvdFH3TKFfw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yKFtAV0Lvs&feature=relate
    the accents not too bad either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I wonder how in the case of moriarty, someone 200 years into an apocalypse, would travel to the US?

no jobs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

There was an early PS1 Tomb Raider, think it was Chronicles? Part of that was set in Ireland and had some Irish Priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I think the girl in Folklore was voiced by an Irish actress, so at least there's a degree of legitimacy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's not a vendetta, but that's not the issue. It's an issue of quality. The accent used in Saboteur is lazy shorthand. Game journalists from all over the world have commented about how bad it is. The accent is over-the-top, and the dialogue is a stream of cliches.

In the end, it was a design choice, and it adversely affected the overall quality of the game. As such, it's fair game for criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Frank Bilders. If You played as him You never got to see him which happened to me. Didn't fancy starting again, the game was so repeditive I gave up*after 45-50%. Got to see him while the young fella was playing tho, didn't miss much

FarCry22008-10-2216-47-28-73.jpg

This guy was surprisingly hilarious. Totally over the top, but probably my favourite part of the game. At one point he phones you and says "Ring-a-ding, it's ****ing Frank Bilders.."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

learner driver in destruction derby was irish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

In Gun Valkyrie, an obscure shooter by Sega and released on the XBox, one of the two playable characters was Kelly O'Lenmey, born in Ballymun :)

Got a laugh out of that when I read the manual.

Here she is:

Gunvalkyriecover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Rael wrote: »
    In Gun Valkyrie, an obscure shooter by Sega and released on the XBox, one of the two playable characters was Kelly O'Lenmey, born in Ballymun :)

Got a laugh out of that when I read the manual.

Here she is:

Gunvalkyriecover.jpg

Yeah, I see women like that every time I'm on the bus out to Ikea.

P.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

The Crimson Oars in Dragon Age: Origins! They're feckin hilarious!

Think Nina Williams from Tekken is an IRA agent.

Stage 2 of Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars is full of Oirish.

Oh yeah, Shane Lynch from Boyzone is in Kingdom under Fire on xbox!

kingdom-under-fire-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Seeker

I loved Shadowman! Excellent exploration and platforming. Cool twist at the end too. Only the combat was mediocre. ( Well maybe some of the poetry too.....). One of my favourite games on the Nintendo 64. It got an 8 in EDGE and 93 in N64 Magazine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

the first one that comes to mind is Eamon from Broken Sword: Sleeping Dragon.

Your man you meet in Glastonbury who works for the BBC, deadly character :D

Advertisement