Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPGs (Shooter or Slasher) - Recommendations? (Killer gameplay+great storyline)

Options
  • 08-12-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hey lads! Since I pretty much can't play online as I only have mobile broadband, I've grown more interest into RPGs since playing online isn't the main part of the game.

I've played through a few RPGs over the years (Shenmue series, MGS2 and 4, Splinter Cell 1&2 and the Ninja Gaiden series). I wasn't too pushed about Splinter Cell's storyline but the other games, I enjoyed very much. I know that many would recommend the FF games so I plan to delve into them a bit but in terms of modern games, what kind of games would you recommend? If anyone would know of RPGs that has links with Chinese/Japanese mythology, I would really be interested in those particularly but that said, the MGS games were stellar so if the story is good enough, I wouldn't be bothered by the origins of the storyline.

So what would you lads suggest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Am MGS, Splinter Cell and Ninja Gaiden wouldn't exactly be classed as RPGs would they?

To give us an idea of what to suggest, what systems do you have to play them on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Jade Empire is a good enough RPG based around Chinese mythology, it was on PC and the original Xbox i think.

Fallout 3 is a good modern shooter/RPG, plenty to do in it so ya wont be short of stuff to shoot.

Yeah, without a list of consoles its hard to recommend anything, what ones ya got??

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

360/PS3 and their predecessors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Borderlands has fantastic gameplay, but a very weak narrative... Doesnt sound like you're after an RPG at al though

So any FF game

Any of the Bethesda games, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout3

Any of the BioWare games, KotOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Demon's Souls

/thread

Huge thread on it here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The games you mention aren't RPGs :)

Anyway I would recommend Demons Souls but I know that you can't play online. You'd be missing out on most of the experience of demons souls if you can't get the online features unfortunately.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Demon's Souls

/thread

Huge thread on it here

That does indeed look savage, is it released here or is there an american version that can be bought and played here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I know that you can't play online.

Aw crap, forgot about that. Yeah forget Demon's Souls if you don't have online. All of the features that make Demon's Souls unique are online. It also adds a lot to the game being able to see how other players died, or have the ghosts of other players momentarily walk into your game then disappear again.

@Vegeta: It's released in the US and Asia. On a recommendation from retr0 I got mine from ncxs and I didn't have any issues with it.

If you are getting it from ncxs, get the Asian version which will play in English on your PS3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

+1 fallout 3 and the add ons.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions lads. I'll check out Jade Empire for sure. I vaguely heard about it a while ago but never read much about it. I guess they wouldn't be defined as RPGs fair enough but I would at least define Shenmue as being quite RPG-esque :).

I suppose what I'm looking for are good third-person shooter games or slashers like Ninja Gaiden (after some reading, Dynasty Warriors seems to be quite a good alternative) but if anyone know of any good games of the same genre, I'd love to hear your suggestions :). I know about Assassin's Creed as well which a friend has lent me so I'll be trying it out for a bit over the next few days.

I guess a good way to know more about games is to pick up game magazines more often :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Andy(mike)Lowry

ok so the game im recommending has, well nothing to do with Chinese/Japanese mythology, but its going at a great price and the graphics, storyline and gameplay are incredible, Batman Arkham Asylum for PS3. its the best game ive payed all 2009.

You wont get bored of it and come on, who doesnt like batman!!
    I think its nearly gone plaitnum which is why its going cheap, i got it up north when i was doing my annual beer run for christmas last week and snatched it for 20 pounds. i think its going for 30 euro down here, but what a buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

If you want some action-slashing games, try to find the Onimusha series on PS2, very awesome games and the 3rd features Jean Reno....so its automatically amazing.

Also, God of War 1+2 were the kings of actiony games on the PS2, there is even a compolation coming to the PS3 next year (or you can import the USA version now).

you can get GOD of WAR II&III on CDWOW, irish company have it in stock so it must be ready to go out here. Its Currently out of stock now but they get stock in every week. free delivery too,

http://www.cdwow.ie/games/GOD-OF-WAR-COLLECTION-1-2-Playstation-3/dp/5800221

Cheers for that Andy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

You want fallout 3 and at least the broken steel add on, which extends the main quest.

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Cheers for that Andy :)

No prob, you should definatley look at Batman Arkham Asylum too, I just finished the Story mode after pullin an all-nighter, and its only 68% complete because theres so much other challenges to do, and it delves deep into the story of batman, all its characters and once completed you can download an expansion pack from PS3 to play as the joker.

http://www.cdwow.ie/search?q=batman+arkham+asylum&t=all

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you liked MGS you might also be interested in Zone of the Enders or the Ace Kombat series (Squadron Leader has quite a lot of story to it). Some more of Konami's great offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Some dude said God of War.. YES!! Epic Games and dont forget the classic Max Payne!!

Dragon Age
    Mass Effect
    Assasins Creed 2
    Batman Arkum Asylum
    Fable 2
    Any Tom Clancy game i suppose if u liked MGS

Advertisement