Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating Maps on Garmin GPS's

Options
  • 08-12-2009 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi I've recently purchased a Garmin Nuvi 265W GPS and am wondering how and where I will be able to update the maps when the situation arises? Does this cost money? Also, how do I download maps for USA and Oz for example and do these also cost money? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It costs money to do it legally.
    You can purchase the maps on a(n SD) card or download and put it on to a card you purchased. You simply put the card in to the GPS unit and leave it in.

Start: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/uk/mappingsolutions

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭nimbinsurfer

Cheers for that Karoma. Is it worth doing it with the free illegal downloads or should I just purchase off Garmin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

You should have a look at the, free, OpenStreetMaps.
    Here's a site that seems good, as recommended by robinph.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mickeyfitzray

Hi folks,

Just one question. Can you use these downloadable maps on any Garmin or only on certain models? I'm looking to buy one as a gift & the person in question is going to China next year so I'm hoping they will be able to use it there as well.

OSM are not actually made specifically for Garmin. It just so happens that Garmin make a lot of hand-held GPS units, and a group has grown who convert OSM maps to suit Garmin units.

OSM maps can be converted to almost any manufacturer, as far as I know.

Once the map has been converted, like on the above website, it should work on any Garmin sat nav.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lee_

Hi folks,

Just one question. Can you use these downloadable maps on any Garmin or only on certain models? I'm looking to buy one as a gift & the person in question is going to China next year so I'm hoping they will be able to use it there as well.

Your friend wont be able to drive in China on an EU driving licence, you would have to do a test in china and it is state specific.

Not Easy and also they are crazy drivers over there, would you want to drive, Ive been taken the wrong way down a 3 lane motorway by a taxi driver over there..

Thanks for the advice Lee... I'll let her know!

Thanks for the quick response too. Just one more question... how do you get the map file onto the Sat Nav? Do you need a flash card or does your PC recognise it as an external drive so you can drag and drop?

Your PC should recognise the unit and add it in explorer.
    The best way to experiment with this stuff, is to place ANY downloads, maps, voices, etc, onto an SD card, in the Garmin. This should also show up in explorer.

If you do it this way, when you startup the sat nav, you will be asked if you wish to transfer the info to your Garmin or leave on the card, so leave it on the card, and tick, do not show again. That way you're not messing with the original sat nav files, and you can just remove the SD card, to restore to original condition.

Before you do anything, it's always wise to make a backup copy of all the files currently on the sat nav. Just copy them to a folder on your PC somewhere safe.

Even if your friend does not intend to drive, it's still useful to bring a sat nav, as it's handy to know where you are, especially in a strange country/city.

Thanks very much for the replies... they have been a great help. Think I've found a good deal too!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pat127

mrmac wrote: »
    Your PC should recognise the unit and add it in explorer.
    The best way to experiment with this stuff, is to place ANY downloads, maps, voices, etc, onto an SD card, in the Garmin. This should also show up in explorer.

If you do it this way, when you startup the sat nav, you will be asked if you wish to transfer the info to your Garmin or leave on the card, so leave it on the card, and tick, do not show again. That way you're not messing with the original sat nav files, and you can just remove the SD card, to restore to original condition.
    QUOTE]

I'd like to jump in if you don't mind. I'm about to download a map from openstreetmap.nl. With no previous experience in this area can I please ask what the exact procedure is, to place the map on an SD card, to include:-
    Do I download to the PC first before connecting the GPS?
    How do I transfer the data from PC to the card?
    The card already contains data, Do I need to delete the data and do so using Win Explorer for example?

Many thanks. I greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement