Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wide Lens for Nikon D60

• 08-12-2009 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

looking for some advice about Nikon D60 and wide angle lenses

I want to get something for architectural shots

I already have the standard 15mm - 55mm lense that came with the camera

but i am in need of a wider lense, does anyone have any suggestions or know where gives good advice in Leinster area? dont mind travelling for the right product.

dont want a really big lense or anything just something that can get the whole shot... in need of advice???

thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

anglinarch wrote: »

but i am in need of a wider lense, does anyone have any suggestions or know where gives good advice in Leinster area? dont mind travelling for the right product.

dont want a really big lense or anything just something that can get the whole shot... in need of advice???

thanks in advance

15mm is fairly wide already to be honest although I'm sure you meant to say 18mm!
    You can buy a Sigma 10-20mm lens. There will be serious distortion though on all your perpendicular lines and nothing will be straight away from the centre of the image.
    You could also stitch a few shots together with your current lens.
    The ideal solution of course is a tilt shift lens but you are looking at €1K+ for one of these.
    Architectural photograph requires more than a basic lens and a camera I'm afraid.

Not being smart, but do you have any idea what you are doing? As in do you understand the basics of photography? If not, then all the lenses in the world won't help you out. You'd be better off hiring somebody for the job initially until you can get yourself trained up on how to do it.

I'd also invest in photoshop if I were you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Ballyman wrote: »
    Not being smart, but do you have any idea what you are doing? As in do you understand the basics of photography? If not, then all the lenses in the world won't help you out. You'd be better off hiring somebody for the job initially until you can get yourself trained up on how to do it.

:eek: eek bit harsh, i think the OP was just asking for a wide angle lens suggestion to fit more in.

I would go with the sigma 10-20mm (there is an old and new version now I think) to get everything in. there is also a tamron 10-24mm and no doubt a more expensive nikkor version. I think a few people on here including myself would recommend the sigma for the money. I got mine for around €400 in my local shop. but can probably be had cheaper than that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Whenever I manage to get myself into that range it'll likely be with a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have shot quite a lot of Architechure with the Sigma 10-20mm Lens on a D300.

With any lens that wide you will get distortions. Though the Sigma is 10mm at the widest it has lower Angle of View than the Nikon 10.5mm as that is a Fisheye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Whenever I manage to get myself into that range it'll likely be with a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8

Pretty sure that wont autofocus on a d60 but i could be wrong :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Crispin wrote: »

Oooh you may be right, apologies...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I could do with some advice on a wide angle lens for the Canon eos400d (Digital Rebel) and the Nikon D40, please.

The Sigma 10-20 is highly regarded, though I have come across mention of the dread front focusing problems that beset other Sigmas. Any guidance would be great, as I would like to get a wide lens for streetscapes and would not like distored buildings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Anouilh wrote: »
    ...The Sigma 10-20 is highly regarded...

It is highly regarded for the price. The lens itself is a little soft.

It is highly regarded for the price. The lens itself is a little soft.

What would be a sharp option. Primes seem to get very expensive. For sharpness, they may be a better choice than a zoom?

I'm staying withing the hobbyist zone, so must take this into account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Sigma 10-20 will be fine as long as you don't go pixel gazing. Just go out and use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I believe the Tokina 11-16 is sharper than the Sigma 10-20.
    I picked up on a sigma 10-20 (the older slower model) on adverts recently and I'm quite pleased with it so far, soft and dark in the corners though, not for the pixel peepers, but a fun lens for the money.

Indoor you can include the ceiling and light fixtures, rooms look positively cavernous, its the lens of choice for estate agents.

NJ

The Tokina has the advantage of being functional on a full frame body as well:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1233392.html

There are some test shots with the Sigma here:

http://www.pbase.com/audible/sigma_1020_f456_sample_shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

anglinarch wrote: »

thanks in advance
    If you wish to try a Sigma 10 20 lens I have one that you may test on your Nikon D60. Its not for sale but at least you will see if its the lens you need or not.
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 14 anglinarch

Thanks for the advice, i think ill go with the Sigma 10mm - 20mm

ballyman, yes i know what im doing thanks for your concerns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Crispin wrote: »

I think the Tokina range has been updated with inbuilt focus motors. I am not sure if this has filtered down to the 11-16 yet though.

Advertisement