Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avenged Sevenfold

• 08-12-2009 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

We've had threads on 100 albums,100 songs and 2nd 100 songs and so far i havnt seen any mention of Avenged Sevenfold(I stand to be corrected).Has nobody heard of them? lol,or do people simply not like them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

We've had threads on 100 albums,100 songs and 2nd 100 songs and so far i havnt seen any mention of Avenged Sevenfold(I stand to be corrected).Has nobody heard of them? lol,or do people simply not like them?

*ding ding ding* we have a winner!

EDIT: resists chance to be pedantic bout thread title!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Seconds out-AX7,A7X. Either or,methinks.:D

Mushy wrote: »
    *ding ding ding* we have a winner!

EDIT: resists chance to be pedantic bout thread title!
    Seeing as we have to call a spade a spade,ha ha ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

A useless band that don't deserve to be breathing my precious fúcking oxygen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭killswitch

I love Avenged Sevenfold!

To start with I am not or have ever been an emo/goth or any kind of kid who paint their faces or doodle on themselves at gigs.

I loved them since I 1st heard "Unholy Confessions" back in the day.

Great band!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I hate avenged sevenfold. always did, but their "show" at Marlay pk this summer sealed the deal. I hate all their poser crap.

Horribly over-hyped, ridiculously far up their own a**es.

Nice title change Johnnycrash...now I look like an idiot:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

... so far i havnt seen any mention of Avenged Sevenfold(I stand to be corrected).

You can stand, sir...

AX7 (as they're called by their deluded, clueless teenage fans) crop up a lot in this forum, normally in the "Bands You Can't Stand" threads, and rightly so IMO.

They make my ears sad; a pox on them... and their fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

dont worry we can do list of worst songs too just to see how many avenged sevenfold get in in it..

honestly what an overrated bunch of pricks who care more about they're images then the quality of the music..

oh and for anyone who says "what about the drummer and guitarists? they're amazing" please dont, because you'll just open a uncontrollable can of worms..

You can stand, sir...

AX7 (as they're called by their deluded, clueless teenage fans) crop up a lot in this forum, normally in the "Bands You Can't Stand" threads, and rightly so IMO.

They make my ears sad; a pox on them... and their fans.
    Didnt say in this forum.Named a few threads. I neednt worry about the pox so,ha ha ha:D
    dont worry we can do list of worst songs too just to see how many avenged sevenfold get in in it..

honestly what an overrated bunch of pricks who care more about they're images then the quality of the music..

oh and for anyone who says "what about the drummer and guitarists? they're amazing" please dont, because you'll just open a uncontrollable can of worms..
    I think I just have!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

They can play well but nobody in the band can write a song that I find interesting. Synyster Gates just plays fast solos for the sake of them being fast and then they have those generic harmonised solos to make it look like they know a bit about music.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I hate avenged sevenfold. always did, but their "show" at Marlay pk this summer sealed the deal. I hate all their poser crap.

and the way they bitched and moaned about how simple the riff from walk is, during the gig didnt really endear them to me..

They can play well but nobody in the band can write a song that I find interesting. Synyster Gates just plays fast solos for the sake of them being fast and then they have those harmonised solos to make it look like they know a bit about music.

at the end of the day Synyster Gates can sweep pick, and its a complicated techneque ill give him that, but thats all he does, he has absolutely no feeling or other techneques to back it up, Seriously give me David Gilmour, Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore any day of the week, they dont need to do flashy bull**** to hide the fact they cant really play they're instrument, or write a decent song..

at the end of the day Synyster Gates can sweep pick, and its a complicated techneque ill give him that, but thats all he does, he has absolutely no feeling or other techneques to back it up, Seriously give me David Gilmour, Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore any day of the week, they dont need to do flashy bull**** to hide the fact they cant really play they're instrument, or write a decent song..

Well I'm not gonna get into the whole "playing with feeling" argument but there are loads of people who can sweep pick and make it sound good rather than just do the same thing over and over. Paul Waggoner, Jeff Loomis, Mohammed Suiçmez and John Petrucci are all examples of how all these complicated and fast techniques can actually sound good.

Well I'm not gonna get into the whole "playing with feeling" argument but there are loads of people who can sweep pick and make it sound good rather than just do the same thing over and over. Paul Waggoner, Jeff Loomis, Mohammed Suiçmez and John Petrucci are all examples of how all these complicated and fast techniques can actually sound good.

Thats because Petrucci, Loomis, Vai and the list goes on, dont just rely on one techneque, and if you listen to any of Petrucci(for example) solos, you'll hear he incorporates, a lot of alternate picking, legato aswell as sweep picking, but if you hear him on the slower more melodic Dream Theater moments, the guy has incredible feeling and taste in his playing, something Synester Gates does not have

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

something Synester Gates does not have

even the pathetic stage names are enough to make your toes curl. "M Shadows"? Give me a f'ing break, lads...

Thats because Petrucci, Loomis, Vai and the list goes on, dont just rely on one techneque, and if you listen to any of Petrucci(for example) solos, you'll hear he incorporates, a lot of alternate picking, legato aswell as sweep picking, but if you hear him on the slower more melodic Dream Theater moments, the guy has incredible feeling and taste in his playing, something Synester Gates does not have

I agree. I don't really say people play with feeling though, all that matters to me is if it sounds good and synyster gates just hasn't made a solo that I can say sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

because they are fu4kin sh1t ahhhhh:mad::mad::mad:

I agree. I don't really say people play with feeling though, all that matters to me is if it sounds good and synyster gates just hasn't made a solo that I can say sounds good.

ah big time, obviously if something sounds good, it sounds good, and i completely agree ive never heard any song/solo of his that makes me go wow or even thats cool.. but people like him and avenged sevenfold really annoy me because they're clearly a band that rely on pro tools and autotune to sound good rather than musical ability..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Saw this mob live in Paris with Mushy while they were supporting Iron Maiden. Bloody useless so they were. A sin to have them on before the mighty Maiden. Never want to see/hear them again. Crash and burn soon, lads, please!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    because they are fu4kin sh1t ahhhhh:mad::mad::mad:

QFT!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Avenged Sevenfold are alright. I like a few of their songs.

DazMarz wrote: »
    Saw this mob live in Paris with Mushy while they were supporting Iron Maiden. Bloody useless so they were. A sin to have them on before the mighty Maiden. Never want to see/hear them again. Crash and burn soon, lads, please!!!:D

Whatever bout having them on before them, but thinking they were better:eek: strutting around as if they the future of rock/metal....think the memo missed them. They'll fade to nothing soon...thankfully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

There is some ammount of arseholes on here, there is no musician/singer on here better than these lads so whisht up ta ****. Ye swear ye were rolling in cash with gold records on every wall in yer houses. i'm sure ye have created the most poetical albums, but ye're just waiting to release them. Stop talking so much ****e will ye!
    The chap asked a simple question looking for a simple answer, not an egotistical comment.

To answer the question I think they are ok, they wouldn't be in my top 10 fave bands though!

There is some ammount of arseholes on here, there is no musician/singer on here better than these lads so whisht up ta ****. Ye swear ye were rolling in cash with gold records on every wall in yer houses. i'm sure ye have created the most poetical albums, but ye're just waiting to release them. Stop talking so much ****e will ye!
    The chap asked a simple question looking for a simple answer, not an egotistical comment.

So your saying were not allowed have an opinion about music unless we actually make music? I'm sorry but that's fucking stupid.

So your saying were not allowed have an opinion about music unless we actually make music? I'm sorry but that's fucking stupid.

No I'm saying stop being so judgemental, it sounds pathetic. Ye sound worse than the little emo kids who rave about them.

No I'm saying stop being so judgemental, it sounds pathetic. Ye sound worse than the little emo kids who rave about them.

What do you mean judgemental? Not liking them?

What do you mean judgemental? Not liking them?

I mean scrutinising the s***e out of every single thing they do. I'm not saying 'you cant judge them', but some people go into so much detail e.g Syn. Gates' method of playing guitar....Like wtf? Who cares, I think he's a good player, is he better than Jimi Hendrix? no, and he doesn't think so either. There is just a crap load of jealousy and musical snobbery in the 'Rock&Metal' section, which I think there is no need for. Music should be appreciated whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

I've always liked them....I seem to be part of a minority here going by previous comments.

• Advertisement

I mean scrutinising the s***e out of every single thing they do. I'm not saying 'you cant judge them', but some people go into so much detail e.g Syn. Gates' method of playing guitar....Like wtf? Who cares, I think he's a good player, is he better than Jimi Hendrix? no, and he doesn't think so either. There is just a crap load of jealousy and musical snobbery in the 'Rock&Metal' section, which I think there is no need for. Music should be appreciated whether you like it or not.

Scrutinising everything they do?? I play guitar and write a good bit of songs so of course I'm going to do that, I do that with everyone I listen to or have heard. And based on hearing a good few Avenged Sevenfold songs and an uncountable number of solos, guitar players and songwriters that I actually like, I find the band to make very generic and formulaic music, as do I think of Synyster Gates guitar playing. How is that musical snobbery? Musical snobbery would be not liking them because they have the metalcore tag, or not liking them because people that like My Chemical Romance like them but I actually listened to this band before deciding I don't like them.

Advertisement