Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avenged Sevenfold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I like them too... Didn't think there would be so much hate towards them... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

i think there posers but i like their music

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jemser

they are posers and their names are ridiculous but i do like some of their stuff..................also the chick in the beast and the harlet video is unbelievable!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I mean scrutinising the s***e out of every single thing they do. I'm not saying 'you cant judge them', but some people go into so much detail e.g Syn. Gates' method of playing guitar....Like wtf? Who cares, I think he's a good player, is he better than Jimi Hendrix? no, and he doesn't think so either. There is just a crap load of jealousy and musical snobbery in the 'Rock&Metal' section, which I think there is no need for. Music should be appreciated whether you like it or not.

why should i appreciate mediocrity?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Heres a little aside. Lots of comments about their names being ridiculous,pathetic etc....Them being posers etc...
    So,what about Bono,The Edge,Dimebag,Nikki Sixx,Slash,Flea-list endless.Another can of worms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

This is hillarious, people backing up why they are bitching about a band - GET OVER YOURSELVES. No one else cares, and for the comments about 'they will never compare to the mighty maiden- Never' thats even worse, why wear your heart on your sleeve. I'm not a huge springsteen or dylan fan but I appreciate that Bruce has a huge following and dylan is a great lyricist - do I complain and say that Jackie Wilson is a way better singer, No. 'cause people still love dylan and my silly little rants would be seriously futile.

I dont even know why I'm even replying to this, I'm not even a huge fan, I'd rate Killswitch or s.o.a.d to be 10 times better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This is hillarious, people backing up why they are bitching about a band - GET OVER YOURSELVES. No one else cares, and for the comments about 'they will never compare to the mighty maiden- Never' thats even worse, why wear your heart on your sleeve. I'm not a huge springsteen or dylan fan but I appreciate that Bruce has a huge following and dylan is a great lyricist - do I complain and say that Jackie Wilson is a way better singer, No. 'cause people still love dylan and my silly little rants would be seriously futile.

I dont even know why I'm even replying to this, I'm not even a huge fan, I'd rate Killswitch or s.o.a.d to be 10 times better.

Yeah, theres a difference between respect and accept. As can be seen, many here don't appreciate them. But these are one of the bands that cant even be respected. You gave a good example of Dylan there. I had a discussion bout this sort of thing bout Pearl Jam with my mate. Theres a difference between respect and accept. Bands you like, you accept. Bands you don't like, but still recognise that they are quuite good, you respect. A7X just don't really deserve respect.

So to respect a band, you don't have to accept. Doesn't work vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

The popularity of band's like this are the product a generation of kids who grew up without Nirvana. All that emo shíte should be called nu-glam.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

and the way they bitched and moaned about how simple the riff from walk is
    But it is simple...:confused:

anyway, I do like A7X, far from my fav band, but I like them well enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Denny M wrote: »
    But it is simple...:confused:

anyway, I do like A7X, far from my fav band, but I like them well enough

its not the point thats its simple or not.. its how arrogant they were about it.. heres a vid about 40 seconds in..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Why can't we all just get along?

Pretty decent musicians, but awful songwriters. They can put good riffs together, but the songs just don't gel for me. And the vocal line from "Afterlife" is simply dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah, theres a difference between respect and accept. As can be seen, many here don't appreciate them. But these are one of the bands that cant even be respected. You gave a good example of Dylan there. I had a discussion bout this sort of thing bout Pearl Jam with my mate. Theres a difference between respect and accept. Bands you like, you accept. Bands you don't like, but still recognise that they are quuite good, you respect. A7X just don't really deserve respect.

Wise words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've had to clean this thread up considerably. If you can't debate like adults, don't bother posting here. Infractions are being handed out to everyone who conducted themselves with flaming or abusive behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I think that they are class, well the early stuff anyways (don't like the latest self produced crap) I do agree that they do come across as arrogent and cocky, but they can back it up i.m.o.

Syn Gates is an unbelievable guitarist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Mushy wrote: »

Think this was a debate we had alright, man! Haha. Do we always have to argue about every-fúcking-thing?!:D

Totally agree with this above statement tho. It is very hard to have respect or acceptance for a band who would always act so arrogantly onstage, putting on airs of a band who has an incredibly illustrious recording career behind them (something they sorely lack).

Add to these facts that they are mediocre/average musicians at best. There is nothing special about the vocalist, nothing unique or nothing that has been done before. Same with the guitarists (they throw the right shapes; but again, very much been there, done that) and all other members. Nothing in any way to make them stand out at all.

They have nothing to make them worthy of respect or admiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rebecca9

Seriously I don't get why these are being mentioned in a rock/metal forum at all, they're a poser pop band

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

I really think the words of the late and great Bill Hicks are needed here-

"When did mediocrity and banality become a good image for your children? I want my children to listen to people who ****ing ROCKED! I don't care if they died in puddles of their own vomit! I want someone who plays from his ****ing HEART!"

I think Avenged Sevenfold are a mockery to music in general.I really don't see the appeal of them and I am amazed at how anyone would have the patience to listen to them.In fairness I did listen to them on more than one occasion and my younger sister does seem to think they are quite "spiffy"(Bear in mind she is 13 and I only think she likes em because lets face it,they aren't the ugliest men in the world)so I do know a good bit about them.But I do not like the way they portray themselves or they way they "play" music.They have a horrible sound,horrible lyrics and and a god awful attitude.I was disgusted with their performance at Marlay Park this year and thought AIC should have deserved A7x slot..
    They are way to cliché and really don't deserve the fame or fanbase they have.
    I am not having a go at fans of them but I am entitled to the opinion that they are not all what they are made out to be and a very arrogant and pig ignorant band to be into...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Avenged Sevenfold are a bunch of posing tossers who are all style and no substance. They remind me of a bunch of kids trying to impress the girls by boasting about how many pints they had down the pub last night when they didn't even get in the front door in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 gith75

Dragonforce are supposed to be awful live. I've never seen them live but i did see Through The Fire And Flames live on youtube and it was terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

We've had threads on 100 albums,100 songs and 2nd 100 songs and so far i havnt seen any mention of Avenged Sevenfold(I stand to be corrected).Has nobody heard of them? lol,or do people simply not like them?

Don't even bother. People on this forum will slate any band with a coverage in kerrang and bit of fringe going on as "generic" or "over-hyped" whilst bigging up dozens of boring, but thoroughly credible metal bands, with decidedly older and uglier fanbases. True facts. FLAME ON.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Jack Vegas wrote: »
    Don't even bother. People on this forum will slate any band with a coverage in kerrang and bit of fringe going on as "generic" or "over-hyped" whilst bigging up dozens of boring, but thoroughly credible metal bands, with decidedly older and uglier fanbases. True facts. FLAME ON.

To dismiss any hate towards popular bands as deliberate hating of the mainstream is absurd but you said true facts so that obviously raises the credibility of your points. :P

On the thing of generic, there's not much wrong with being generic as long as it sounds good. All That Remains and Ghost Brigade are damn generic but man are they good. Tbh I don't really think of A7X as that generic alot of the time, I just think they suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Ok to sum Avenged Sevenfold up.

They use to be a metal/harcore metalcore or what ever you want band. I used to listen to them then, I was young I though they were good, still think the old stuff is. Back then they wore none of this makeup sh1te, the singing was screaming for about 90% of all songs.
    Then they brought out a album called the beast and the harlot, I still remember the day I listened to it I was like wtf is this sh1t? No screaming, cartoon guitar as I call it and overall just terrible music. Selling out to the ****ing maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Feck A7X, preferably with something hard and sand-papery

the drummer was found dead yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

lol5605 wrote: »
    the drummer was found dead yesterday.

pitty it was him and not their career :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

http://www.ocregister.com/news/sullivan-226142-beach-drummer.html

Can't believe this, I'm not even a fan but a musician passing away is never a good thing. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 ShroomPicker

I really hate A7X. Especially their oh-so-modern txt spk shortening of their name. Everything I have read/seen about these guys makes me sick. Bunch of over-rated posers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

http://www.ocregister.com/news/sullivan-226142-beach-drummer.html

Can't believe this, I'm not even a fan but a musician passing away is never a good thing. RIP.

****ing hell. What's with all the musicians passing away suddenly? I was never a massive fan of A7x but for someone so young to die is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

lol5605 wrote: »
    Ok to sum Avenged Sevenfold up.

They use to be a metal/harcore metalcore or what ever you want band. I used to listen to them then, I was young I though they were good, still think the old stuff is. Back then they wore none of this makeup sh1te, the singing was screaming for about 90% of all songs.
    Then they brought out a album called the beast and the harlot, I still remember the day I listened to it I was like wtf is this sh1t? No screaming, cartoon guitar as I call it and overall just terrible music. Selling out to the ****ing maximum.

They wore makeup back in the "Waking The Fallen" era. The Beast and the Harlot is a song by them. It's from the album City Of Evil. Also, they stopped screaming because M.Shadows screwed up his vocal chords.

• Advertisement

ADTR wrote: »
    They wore makeup back in the "Waking The Fallen" era. The Beast and the Harlot is a song by them. It's from the album City Of Evil. Also, they stopped screaming because M.Shadows screwed up his vocal chords.

The vocal cords thing if just a rumor. If you watch the thing that comes with the newest album you will find it is bull.

Advertisement