Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egret on Tolka

• 08-12-2009 11:47am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I spotted an egret (not sure what type) yesterday aftenoon on the Tolka at Ashtown crossroads. I've never seen one before around here and they really are quite elegant compared to the herons which nest here. I wonder will it settle here with the herons so close by?
    I'm awaiting a new charger for my camera, so if it's still around I should be able to get some shots of it & post them here.

anyone know if they are common/rare around dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

It was more then likely a little egret you saw. Beautiful birds. They are pretty common around dublin these days. 20-30 years ago it would have lead to great excitment to see one but now they are pretty common.

The best way to recognise them is by looking at their feet once they aare out of the water. They have dark legs with lovely yellow feet. We are now getting reports of cattle egrets moving into the country so who knows maybe in 20 years time these will also be a common sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Little egrets seem to nest where herons are established. If there is a heronry nearby, you'll probably soon (if not already) have nesting egrets too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

I saw a Great White Egret in Galway a few weeks ago. Fabulous bird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I haven't seen the Great White Egret in Ireland, but the salt marshes in Dollymount is full of Little Egrets. You can get very close to them early in the morning if you approach the playing fields in the cover of trees in St. Annes park in Dublin.

Advertisement