Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Application of Thermal Paste

Options
  • 08-12-2009 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hey guys/gals,
    Bought a new PC which arrived yesterday. Small problem: the cooler for the CPU (GH-PSU11-PD) was loose when it arrived. I think one of the clips un-clipped during transit. I'm just wondering, before I re-attach the clip, should I put on more thermal paste between the base of the cooler and the CPU? Cheers! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Trevor O wrote: »
    Hey guys/gals,
    Bought a new PC which arrived yesterday. Small problem: the cooler for the CPU (GH-PSU11-PD) was loose when it arrived. I think one of the clips un-clipped during transit. I'm just wondering, before I re-attach the clip, should I put on more thermal paste between the base of the cooler and the CPU? Cheers! :)

No, it should be fine just to clip it back on. Keep an eye on your temps however, and re-apply if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

Cool (Pardon the pun!). What should regular operating temps. be or does it vary chip to chip? (I'm using an Intel Core i7 920). Also, is there any good program for monitoring the temps. of PC components (Maybe with some kind of alarm indicators)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Trevor O wrote: »
    Cool (Pardon the pun!). What should regular operating temps. be or does it vary chip to chip? (I'm using an Intel Core i7 920). Also, is there any good program for monitoring the temps. of PC components (Maybe with some kind of alarm indicators)?

core temp or real temp are the best for monitoring temps imo. Real temp has an alarm indicator too, not sure about core temp.

At stock an i7 920 should idle around 30-35 and load would be 65-70 for an average cooler I think. It very much depends on the cooler, but if it goes above 80 for full load then have a look at resetting the cooler.

Prime95
    btw is a handly little program for testing temps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

I personally use RealTemp (as it monitors the GPU Temp as well)

Advertisement