Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Magnetic L Plates

• 08-12-2009 12:11pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I got the Magnetic L Plates in Halfords today, the ones where the whole back of them is magnetic (not just strips).

However, they don't stick securely to the car. It doesn't even stick to the window (well I suppose that was obvious) but when I stick it to the front of the car, it is still very easy to remove by just pulling it upwards with my hand.

Is this normal? I wanted L-Plates that could be removed when a Learner driver is not in the car, but I don't want them flying off while driving at speeds of anything >20km/h

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I had one of those magnetic plates come off during my driving test. Get the sticky ones for either the body or windows - they're cheaper and don't fall off and can't be stolen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I know they're not as handy to take off, but i would buy the ones that stick on the inside of the windows. Although, it depends on the car, a lot of smaller cars these days have terrible rear visibility out the back window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭tadhgrrr

im using the magnetic ones and they're great! no reduced visibility on the windows, i can take them off when im finished driving so my mother doesn't get treated like an L driver on the road and I haven't had any trouble with them flying off and Ive been driving in wet windy conditions over the past few weeks.

i stick one on back and one slightly left of centre on the front bumper...both magnetic surfaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

So I got the Magnetic L Plates in Halfords today, the ones where the whole back of them is magnetic (not just strips).

However, they don't stick securely to the car. It doesn't even stick to the window (well I suppose that was obvious) but when I stick it to the front of the car, it is still very easy to remove by just pulling it upwards with my hand.

Is this normal? I wanted L-Plates that could be removed when a Learner driver is not in the car, but I don't want them flying off while driving at speeds of anything >20km/h
    I'm thinking that your car possibly has aluminum/plastic body panels (good quality aluminium is not magnetic). You might have to hunt around for a good spot - somewhere with a steel support just under the skin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for all the replies! With magnetic plates, where abouts do you put them? Obviously the old rule of putting it on the top left of the front windscreen and the bottom right of the back windscreen doesn't apply as magnetic plates don't stick to windscreens.

Also: 2000th post! Yay! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭tadhgrrr

i put one on the boot door which sticks no problem...and one on the bonnet (but on the panel that lifts up when you want to look at the engine rather than at the extreme side)...driving a toyota auris.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

OK I got Window Cling plates. Are these difficult to remove once they are applied? Are they designed to stay up all the time, and not be removed if there isn't a learner driver driving the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

I have magnetic ones, but they didn't stick very well. So I sellotaped them to the inside of the windows...problem solved ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have the window cling ones and they come on and off no problem for when my Dad is using the car.

Advertisement