Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post registered post

Options
  • 08-12-2009 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I ordered a laptop from Pixmania,the sent the wrong one,so the told me to sent it back using 'registered post' from An post, 15 days later Pixmaina hav'ent received the laptop. An post tell me the don't know where the bag of post has gone,it contained thirty parcels altogether,it 'disappeared' some where between England and France(Girl from An post said what do you want me to do, when i complained). Now i'm down €500 for the laptop plus €60 for registered post and An post only insure the item for €150 once it leaves Ireland. Pixmania have washed ther hands of the issue and An post won't even return my calls. So everybody got paid and i'm left with a very bad taste in my mouth. My question, if any one could inlighten me is should i file a police report and will the do anything if i do? I can't just except what's happened.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 phil16phil

That,s nothing short of scandolous.

From citizensinformation.ie
    The following types of claims can be dealt with under the Small Claims procedure:
    Consumer claims such as for faulty goods or bad workmanship.

If losing a large parcel is not bad workmanship I dont know what is !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 gunslinger1987

This is totally crazy!!!

I agree citizens info should be able to help sort something out.

Whats with this 'what do you want me to do about it' attitude these days, if you cant sort out my problem let me speak to someone higher up!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 vHOST

An post... An Post....:mad:

had similar issue while back register post got delivered to me (may be it was my ghost) which i never received. filled claim form but rang few time but no positive reply and then i gave up.
    OP i hop if you follow up this you might get sorted.

An Post:mad: (i wish i have other choice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Make a complaint to ComReg about An Post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

wildmutt wrote: »
    Pixmania have washed ther hands of the issue and An post won't even return my calls.

Well, it's nothing to do with Pixmania (as bad as they may be at times) as they never received it, and for all they know, you never sent it. They can't be held liable for something that you did. It was up to you to send it via a service that offers adequate insurance. Pixmania would have refunded the postal costs anyway (because they have to), so a courier would have been a better choice.

If you submit a claim to An Post, they'll cover you up to the value placed on the insurance. After that, I don't really see that there's a lot they can do. It's not as though the person on the phone can get on a plane and go checking sorting centres in Paris.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wildmutt

Well, first of all, Pixmania sent me the wrong model laptop which is why I had to send it back. They told me to send it via registered post. As I didn't want to do this I queried this with them, they told me that registered post was the way to do it. I asked them what if something happened and they said they will guarantee it. I have sent them a copy of the receipt of registered postage so they do know I sent it. The package can be traced up to Heathrow terminal despatched to Paris. A courier is obviously a better choice now that this has happened but when both Pixmania guaranteed replacement and An Post guaranteed delivery what do you do.
    This whole attitude of there's not a lot they can do is absolutely not good enough. They were paid to provide a service, it's their job to ensure delivery is made. €500 is a lot of money to some people and why did they accept to deliver the parcel knowing the value was €500? An post are letting 1000 workers go next year because there isn't enough work for them to do. I have yet to receive one phonecall from An Post to update me on the status of the investigation.
    'There's not a lot they can do' very bad attitude to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Well, first of all, Pixmania sent me the wrong model laptop which is why I had to send it back.

Yes, but that is a separate issue to the laptop going missing on the return journey.
    They told me to send it via registered post. As I didn't want to do this I queried this with them, they told me that registered post was the way to do it. I asked them what if something happened and they said they will guarantee it.

Do you have that in writing, the bit where they told you specifically to use An Post and that they would cover any problems? If you do, then you should be covered. If that was over the phone, then you may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Long story short is that you shouldn't have sent the laptop back through a service that didn't offer adequate insurance.

As to what you can do now, get in touch with An Post claims dept and see what they can do for you. Also, check out Comreg and see what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Who says it is limited to €150 outside of Ireland - I had a parcel valued at €300 go missing in the UK and was fully compensated for it.

Edit - my bad limit applies outside of UK

Ok, I told the post office it was valued at €500 and they said 'that's ok, it's guaranteed delivery. Even their advertisment on TV says 'guaranteed delivery' . This item was included in a bag of approximately 30 registered packages, all of which are 'lost'
    I was told today to wait 8 weeks and then they hung up.
    What kind of country are we that nobody accepts responsibility for anything any more. What ever happened to the customer is always right attitude. I haven't received any help or feedback from An Post to update me on the status of their investigation, if there is one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

sounds like some has done some early chrismas shopping stealing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ok, I told the post office it was valued at €500 and they said 'that's ok, it's guaranteed delivery. Even their advertisment on TV says 'guaranteed delivery' . This item was included in a bag of approximately 30 registered packages, all of which are 'lost'
    I was told today to wait 8 weeks and then they hung up.
    What kind of country are we that nobody accepts responsibility for anything any more. What ever happened to the customer is always right attitude. I haven't received any help or feedback from An Post to update me on the status of their investigation, if there is one.

Have you contacted your credit card company to see if they can do anything for you? Some have insurance or you may be able to do a charge back to Pixmania as you never recieved what you ordered.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Before I'd entrust an expensive laptop to any courier I'd double-check their insurance coverage and get it in writing or screenshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dudara wrote: »
    Long story short is that you shouldn't have sent the laptop back through a service that didn't offer adequate insurance.
    parsi wrote: »
    Before I'd entrust an expensive laptop to any courier I'd double-check their insurance coverage and get it in writing or screenshot.
    But it seems pixmania instructed the OP to do it, and were taking responsibility themselves. They have to refund the postage to the OP so they picked a cheap service, and seem to have took it upon themselves to insure it -they could have third party insurance.
    They told me to send it via registered post. As I didn't want to do this I queried this with them, they told me that registered post was the way to do it. I asked them what if something happened and they said they will guarantee it.

I would have thought the company would have a say in who is used, otherwise I could pay my mate who could act as a "freelance courier", and book him a limo to the airport carry it there in style, all expenses paid by pixmania.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

@rubabdub - thanks for the clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I was sending a parcel to the UK and it went missing. This was in March! I got compensated in August for it!
    Its a very long winded process.
    I had to provide proof of how much the package was worth and they sorted it eventually.

Update:
    Pixmania have now taken responsibility as they instructed me to send via registered post. They are in the process of sending out a new laptop to me. This happened straight after an email was sent to the CEO & 4 high up people in Pixmania.
    Happy days.

On the other side, An post, after 4 weeks of chasing have yet to return any of my calls, hung up on me yet again 2 days ago and told me to wait at least 8 weeks to see if they can find parcel.
    The customer service I received from An Post was nothing short of disgraceful. They deserve every bit of their 5 % plus wage cut.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 siddysid

The package can be traced up to Heathrow terminal despatched to Paris.

An Post don't operate the loading and unloading of bags in Heathrow - that's BA's staff's job.

An post are letting 1000 workers go next year because there isn't enough work for them to do.

Incorrect again, WILDMUTT. 1300 redundancies are being sought to down size operations in order to cut operating costs, NOT because there's nothing for them to do - far from it.

They deserve every bit of their 5 % plus wage cut.

And wrong yet again - An Post workers do not belong to the Public Sector, and therefore are not subject to the wage decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There often seems to be mayhem with registered mail services going through London.

You could ask whether the loss of the goods has been reported to police (not that it will do you much good if it has).

Siddysid, you have no idea what you are talking about, An Post are responsible for the delivery of this package, not BA staff. They have admitted this themselves.

Yes, I agree they are down sizing their operations. The reason being they have no work for the 1000 and so employees. They are the least helpful people I have ever dealt with. Just last week I witnessed an old man asking the post office employee to write down an address on an envelope for him and he refused point blank saying it wasn't his job to do. A little bit of common curtesy goes a long way. Oh yes, 5 weeks on still no phone call from An Post with some kind of update on their investigation. I suppose that's not their job either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

siddysid wrote: »
    The package can be traced up to Heathrow terminal despatched to Paris.

An Post don't operate the loading and unloading of bags in Heathrow - that's BA's staff's job.

An post are letting 1000 workers go next year because there isn't enough work for them to do.

Incorrect again, WILDMUTT. 1300 redundancies are being sought to down size operations in order to cut operating costs, NOT because there's nothing for them to do - far from it.

They deserve every bit of their 5 % plus wage cut.

And wrong yet again - An Post workers do not belong to the Public Sector, and therefore are not subject to the wage decrease.

Well done Siddysid!! I get so fed up of the public thinking us An Post employees are public sector! That has'nt been the case since 1984!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭w123

Well done Siddysid!! I get so fed up of the public thinking us An Post employees are public sector! That has'nt been the case since 1984!

It's hard for us the general public not to think of an post as the public sector when they seem to have all of the worst customer relations attitudes of the worst of the public sector combined with a staff heavy, unionized, high wage, non accountable, loss making organisation.

If it looks like a duck...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Walks like a duck...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lirael

Siddysid, you have no idea what you are talking about, An Post are responsible for the delivery of this package, not BA staff. They have admitted this themselves.

totally untrue

once the parcel leaves Ireland it is the responsibility of the services in the via country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Lirael wrote: »
    totally untrue

once the parcel leaves Ireland it is the responsibility of the services in the via country
    the contract is with an post regardless of where in the world the package/post is being sent so an post are responsible for your post right up to the point it is delivered! this does not apply in certain circumstances such as war civil unrest and severe adverse weather in any area the post is addressed.

I could care less who owns,works or whatever for An post, if this is the type of service we just accept and worse make excuses for then we've a long way to go. How could any body say and believe that once An post send a parcel outside the country there job is done and it's some one else's problem, An post don't even agree with that. Any way five weeks after I sent a parcel (containing a laptop) through An post's Registered post at a cost of 60euro(non-refundable) the parcel has disappeared off the planet or (to a place the can on longer track). I have not heard from an An post employee for two weeks(after the slamed the phone down mid conversation) or from a manager in the head office in Dublin who promised to keep me up dated and 'not to worry',he now,'won't even return my calls. Bad service, bad customer service bad manners,semi-state, public sector whats the difference just do what your payed to do and the customer is not the enemy,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Write a letter of complaint to An Post - to the MD for example (you may have to do a little bit of research). By law you are entitled to a reply (mention this in the letter). I was having awful problems with Bord Gais and I did this and everything was sorted out promptly.

I would enclose your receipt of your postage and an email or something from pixmania stating they havent received it.

Alternatively, there is a good section in the Irish Independent (I think its either Tuesdays or Wednesdays) about consumer issues. Maybe the lady who writes the column could do something for you. She confronts companies on people's behalves. Or she may be able to offer some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,046 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Update:
    Pixmania have now taken responsibility as they instructed me to send via registered post. They are in the process of sending out a new laptop to me. This happened straight after an email was sent to the CEO & 4 high up people in Pixmania.
    Happy days.

On the other side, An post, after 4 weeks of chasing have yet to return any of my calls, hung up on me yet again 2 days ago and told me to wait at least 8 weeks to see if they can find parcel.
    The customer service I received from An Post was nothing short of disgraceful. They deserve every bit of their 5 % plus wage cut.:D

In the case of international enquiries An Post have to depend on foreign postal administrations (in this case probably Royal Mail/Parcel Force and La Poste) responding in a timely fashion to allow them to reply to the customer. I think there are regulations which allow something like 90 days before they can follow up officially, understandable I suppose in complicated cases which may involve the police.

It's frustrating but if a baggage handler or a postman makes off with a bag of mail in New York, Dublin, London or wherever it's not something which can be resolved easily over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In the case of international enquiries An Post have to depend on foreign postal administrations (in this case probably Royal Mail/Parcel Force and La Poste) responding in a timely fashion to allow them to reply to the customer. I think there are regulations which allow something like 90 days before they can follow up officially, understandable I suppose in complicated cases which may involve the police.

It's frustrating but if a baggage handler or a postman makes off with a bag of mail in New York, Dublin, London or wherever it's not something which can be resolved easily over the phone.

Registered post is not supposed to be able to disappear, there's supposed to be a trail of the package/letter going around the world. It shouldn't be too hard to see who last signed for it and then get the proper people to question them.

Even if that's not the case it doesn't take long to call someone who's lost a laptop to give them a quick update, even if there's no news, it's called good customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,046 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If previous phone calls led to Customer Service reps hanging up on him for whatever reason maybe they would be reluctant to phone back every week saying "sorry we still don't know what happened to your laptop". They did advise him to wait 8 weeks reasonably or not.

Registered mail is not supposed to go missing no more than passengers' luggage in the custody of airlines but it does happen and then the small print and red tape kick in. An Post are probably dealing with lots of these cases from all over the world and until they get information back from abroad they cannot tell the customer in Ireland anything useful.

Advertisement