Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco 93.6% Increase

Options
  • 08-12-2009 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Went to buy Birds Eye pack of 4 chicken burgers this morning in Tesco Ardkeen in Waterford.I have been buying these for the last 3/4 months as my son eats them every week.

They were never on special and were €1.25.
    They are now €2.42

€2.42-€1.25=€1.17
    1.17/1.25 * 100% = 93.6% Increase.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Maybe they had an error in pricing as they are £1.79 stg in sainsburys mysupermarket.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 phil16phil

Thats a fair point, except
    1. Thay have been €1.25 since I started buying them 3/4 months ago
    and
    2. They had a ad in the Sunday Independant a while back comparing their price of €1.25 to the Dunnes price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Did you buy them anyway?

No way.......they can stick them up the highest part of their ......

Only use tesco nowadays anyway when I can,t get what I want in Aldi or Lidl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I priced them in 4 places this morning (took 5 minutes to do!) and they were:

€2.42
    €2.69
    €2.75
    €2.99

So Tesco are actually the cheapest!

I can get them at £1.27 in Britain but nothing here like it!

• Advertisement

Thanks Srameen...interesting
    It looks like their price is fair.
    I wonder why then they didn't market it in any way. As I said, they never indicated that there was a price reduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm inclined to think it was a mistake rather than any intentional price reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

they did this with few items, reduced them lots 4 months ago and then brought them up to still cheap levels. E.g. natural comfec jelly squirms, were .80 for 4 months, now 1.40 or thereabouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

phil16phil wrote: »
    Went to buy Birds Eye pack of 4 chicken burgers this morning in Tesco Ardkeen in Waterford.I have been buying these for the last 3/4 months as my son eats them every week.

They were never on special and were €1.25.
    They are now €2.42

€2.42-€1.25=€1.17
    1.17/1.25 * 100% = 93.6% Increase.
    Theysometimes do the same with birds eye waffles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Tesco regularly loss lead on products for a while so that they can use the price in a comparison advert verus the other supermarkets. They don't advertise it as a special offer so that they can use the price to compare like for like with another supermarket. Dunnes are currently doing an advert doing the same for tins of biscuits and a particular wine if memory serves me but it's not that Dunnes are 30% cheaper on everything available just sounds like it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It looks like their price is fair.
    Indeed, I find it really odd how many people seemingly do not have a clue of the value of items. Did 4 branded birds eye chicken burgers for €1.25 never strike you as being particularly cheap? It doesn't even need looking in other stores, just look at similar products in the same shop. Is your 93.6% not as impressive now?

Birds eye chicken dippers have been going very cheap in tescos over the last month or more, they go up & down in price and it is rarely advertised as an offer, but they are often cheaper than tesco own brand nuggets which are not even chicken breast. If you do not know how to evaluate "good value" then they will prey on you
    I wonder why then they didn't market it in any way. As I said, they never indicated that there was a price reduction.
    I have said in numerous threads that the best bargains in tesco are no longer advertised. They still make best profits on the idiots stocking up on what they are TOLD are bargains.

The only theory I can come up with is that some independent price surveys ignore advertised offers when comparing supermarkets. This is a illogical practise of course, but the idiots in the National Consumer Agency do this. So in one report tesco did not top the list, though they should have.

Advertisement