Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing in the name for no.1 this xmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

ludichris wrote: »
    cant stand children in need!

Harsh buzz.

I just read this article that was posted earlier in the thread. Usually I can't stand the NME, but they do a pretty good job of pointing out how stupid an idea this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

I think people are reading a bit too much into this. Yeah its sadly ironic that a song with the lyrics "fu*k you i wont do what you tell me" being the same song everyone is being told to buy. But isn't it all just a bit of a laugh is it not? No need to get so serious about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Music iz srs biznez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I think people are reading a bit too much into this. Yeah its sadly ironic that a song with the lyrics "fu*k you i wont do what you tell me" being the same song everyone is being told to buy. But isn't it all just a bit of a laugh is it not? No need to get so serious about it...

It would certainly make a refreshing change from some over hyped, vapid, utterly talentless karaoke singer getting to no 1 cause he/she was on a tv show. X-Factor is the HIV virus of the music industry - no matter how hard you try to stop it, muppets still go out and get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

DarkJager wrote: »
    It would certainly make a refreshing change from some over hyped, vapid, utterly talentless karaoke singer getting to no 1 cause he/she was on a tv show. X-Factor is the HIV virus of the music industry - no matter how hard you try to stop it, muppets still go out and get it.

Not sure how refreshing it is really. It would be refreshing if a great song made it to number one without the need for a coordinated internet campaign.

• Advertisement

cashback wrote: »
    Not sure how refreshing it is really. It would be refreshing if a great song made it to number one without the need for a coordinated internet campaign.

It would be refreshing if only for the fact the artist performing it wrote it themselves. What's so great about a song getting to number 1 because the "singer" was on a glorified karaoke show?

It would be refreshing if only for the fact the artist performing it wrote it themselves. What's so great about a song getting to number 1 because the "singer" was on a glorified karaoke show?

Ah yeah exactly.If its a choice of a song written years ago, and can we all agree a brillant one :D, or some karaoke tripe ill go with the former. Correct me if i'm wrong but bohemian rhapsody took the christmas number one twice, much better then any other crap that was probably out those years.

Still someone mentioned Bob Dylans Christmas single which I think would be a great number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'm quite fine without RATM sullying my music library.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

Why bother?
    Just sabotage the DHL warehouse on the 11th! Therefore the HMV's and Golden disks don't recieve the x-factor at all! :D
    (I hearby take no responsibility for any person taking this literally) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

This is a link to the Irish version of the group. Please note the download dates are different to the u.k group...

We are aware that simon and rage are on sony but its not about money. Its about the fact that the x-factor has taken over the xmas number 1 for years and needs to be stopped plus it would be hilarious if it happens.

The clues in the name...

Rage against the machine-Killing in the name.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=231784611232&ref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

what difference will irish people make. we don't live in UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

what difference will irish people make. we don't live in UK.

We have to put up with the x-factor being number 1 year after year...

powerfade wrote: »
    Sony own the rights to both RATM and x-factor contestants so the only winner is.........Sony.

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=10&title=rage_against_the_machine_for_christmas_n&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

'F*ck you I won't do what you told me', ahem but if you buy the record, is that not what you are doing?

Sorry. Felt the need to quote this and post this.

Irony anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

Originally Posted by powerfade viewpost.gif
    Sony own the rights to both RATM and x-factor contestants so the only winner is.........Sony.

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?bl...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

'F*ck you I won't do what you told me', ahem but if you buy the record, is that not what you are doing?
    Papa Smut wrote: »
    Sorry. Felt the need to quote this and post this.

Irony anyone?

Look, everyone is on about this whole, "Isn't it ironic that you're still supporting Simon Cowell/Sony/just following another crowd blah blah blah etc." I don't care who the money for the single goes to. I don't care if it goes straight into Mr. Cowell's big, fat wallet. I don't care if it's just following another crowd like a sheep. It's this simple: I would prefer to see RATM at No. 1 this Xmas than to see some X-Factor cover there again. If Rage is at No. 1 it will have to be played over Christmas and I would rather listen to Rage than X-Factor karaoke. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Trevor O wrote: »
    If Rage is at No. 1 it will have to be played over Christmas
    No it won't.

God Save the Queen by the Sex Pistols was number 1 for the Queens Silver Jubilee and it didn't get played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Elbows

beerbaron wrote: »
    He didnt. Sopranos did.

Its a bit ironic aswell that it looks like it'll be Journey's song that is Xmas Number 1 this year. And I agree that it was Sopranos that brought that back, he didn't mention Journey until after Sopranos finished in the US, then it built up til it was shown over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Elbows wrote: »
    Its a bit ironic aswell that it looks like it'll be Journey's song that is Xmas Number 1 this year. And I agree that it was Sopranos that brought that back, he didn't mention Journey until after Sopranos finished in the US, then it built up til it was shown over here.

I'm not saying Soprano's didn't have a hand in it, so did Family Guy and Scrubs...

But if he hadn't mentioned it on the radio at the time, nobody would have hardly noticed it, and it would have just been "another song" in the program.

He had a major play in getting it to number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

I really,really hope Killing In The Name dosn't get to No 1.It's awful stuff.

I hope it does, especially after readin that Simon Ghoul feels it is "dismissive of the audience that watch X-Factor".

Well Simon, the people that watch X-Factor are generally pre-teen twats who wouldn't know real music if it came up and stabbed them in the ****ing face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I hope it does, especially after readin that Simon Ghoul feels it is "dismissive of the audience that watch X-Factor".

Well Simon, the people that watch X-Factor are generally pre-teen twats who wouldn't know real music if it came up and stabbed them in the ****ing face.

So is everyone who watches a tv program you don't like a pre-teen twat?

• Advertisement

Trevor O wrote: »
    Originally Posted by powerfade viewpost.gif

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?bl...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Look, everyone is on about this whole, "Isn't it ironic that you're still supporting Simon Cowell/Sony/just following another crowd blah blah blah etc." I don't care who the money for the single goes to. I don't care if it goes straight into Mr. Cowell's big, fat wallet. I don't care if it's just following another crowd like a sheep. It's this simple: I would prefer to see RATM at No. 1 this Xmas than to see some X-Factor cover there again. If Rage is at No. 1 it will have to be played over Christmas and I would rather listen to Rage than X-Factor karaoke. Simple as that.

If that is your reason, why not get this strength behind an artist NOT signed to a major label? Even (God forbid) an unsigned/independent label artist? They're there, you just have to look.

And if someone tells me Sony aren't behind this, they can go and take a long walk off a short pier.

This has been the most cynical attempt at gaining interest in the Christmas singles market I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I vote for getting Flock of Seagulls to number one. The song doesn't matter - but 2010 needs to be defined by the fashion of this band returning to full swing.

I vote for getting Flock of Seagulls to number one. The song doesn't matter - but 2010 needs to be defined by the fashion of this band returning to full swing.

I SAW YOUR EYES
    AND IT MADE ME SMILE
    AND FOR A LITTLE WHILE
    I WAS FALLING IN LOVE

Space Age Love Song FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

They don't look like they used to, just a few old fat blokes. Still good though.

They don't look like they used to, just a few old fat blokes. Still good though.

I went to see them at Electric Picnic. I thought they were muck :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Boourns!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

These campaigns are a fxckin joke

Xfactor is a TV show that gets millions of viewers

Say what you want about the public bein brainwashed, but people will buy a song because they like it

Jeff Buckley didnt beat Alexandra last year, so RATM havent a hope in hell

If anything you're the ones who are brainwashing people. YOU'RE telling them what music to buy, and that you're right

Grow the fxck up

unreggd wrote: »

Say what you want about the public bein brainwashed, but people will buy a song because they like it

If anything you're the ones who are brainwashing people. YOU'RE telling them what music to buy, and that you're right

Grow the fxck up

Its just for a laugh?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

unreggd wrote: »

Grow the fxck up

Fúck you I won't do what you tell me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

looks like facebook deleted the group, had around 700,000 members. strange stuff.

Advertisement