Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing in the name for no.1 this xmas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

looks like facebook deleted the group, had around 700,000 members. strange stuff.

Supposedly it's just down every so often and not deleted.

UK 'back-up' Group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=37655682127

Irish Group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=ts&gid=231784611232

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

looks like facebook deleted the group, had around 700,000 members. strange stuff.

It keeps crashing due to the sheer volume of traffic...Crashed twice yesterday and at least once today that i know of..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

unreggd wrote: »
    These campaigns are a fxckin joke

Xfactor is a TV show that gets millions of viewers

Say what you want about the public bein brainwashed, but people will buy a song because they like it

Jeff Buckley didnt beat Alexandra last year, so RATM havent a hope in hell

If anything you're the ones who are brainwashing people. YOU'RE telling them what music to buy, and that you're right

Grow the fxck up
    Hmm lets see 710,000+(and growing at a phenomenal rate) in the uk group who all say they will download at least 3 times...Last year alexandra burke sold 550,000 copies there for the song Hallelujah which would be a very popular song due to the likes of shrek etc
    Apparently this years winner will be singing miley cyrus. I don't think that song would be as popular.

In the Irish group we have only 4600+ but growing all the time as the word is getting out. Lets say half the number joined to these groups actually go ahead and download 3 times (which seems to be the rule), then i honestly think we have a chance...:-) Apparently number 1s here only usually sell 20,000 copies..WE DO NEED MORE MEMBERS IN IRELAND THOUGH IF THIS IS TO HAPPEN..

Please join the Irish group if you are in Ireland but remember to only download from the 18th..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

falan wrote: »
    Apparently this years winner will be singing miley cyrus. I don't think that song would be as popular.
    I don't think that makes a blind bit of difference. The Miley Cyrus version was never played over here so I doubt anybody will make the connection other than being told it's a Miley Cyrus song.

falan wrote: »
    Lets say half the number joined to these groups actually go ahead and download 3 times (which seems to be the rule),
    Well that will mean that the people involved are 3 times as stupid as first suspected.

Seriously, if you're gonna to throw away €3 on something like this why don't you actually do something good with your money and give it to charity? Why not keep the Children in Need song at number 1? At least you'll actually be doing some good then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

BaZmO* wrote: »
    God Save the Queen by the Sex Pistols was number 1 for the Queens Silver Jubilee and it didn't get played.

I'm not sure it was, Bazmo.

It was number 2 and Rod Stewart pipped it to number 1, IIRC

There has long been speculation that the chart returns were rigged to stop The Pistols going to number one that week.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm not sure it was, Bazmo.

It was number 2 and Rod Stewart pipped it to number 1, IIRC

There has long been speculation that the chart returns were rigged to stop The Pistols going to number one that week.
    Hmm, didn't know that. Although my point still stands.....kinda.

Hmm, didn't know that. Although my point still stands.....kinda.

Well, it was the rightful number one if you believe the rumours..... and the record was banned so you could say it wasn't played... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

According to a few articles I've read online, this is actually in with a big chance of making it...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya in the news today seems like this is out selling the single at the moment but they expect the X factor single CD release (today or tomorow???) to overtake it when it does.

I would love for any song to be christmas number 1, once it isnt the X Factor.

Tom Morello Supports Rage's 'Killing In The Name' in U.K. Christmas Sales Battle
    Rage’s Killing in the Name & the X-Factor’s goofy Christmas single are neck and neck for num one spot on UK chart. England! Now is your time.

Link

twitter.com/tmorello

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

RATM ahead now by 4%.

Joe sold 79k in 24 hours, RATM has sold 85k in 48 hours.

Not looking good. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

DKZ wrote: »
    RATM ahead now by 4%.

Joe sold 79k in 24 hours, RATM has sold 85k in 48 hours.

Not looking good. :(

Is that the English charts? Where can you check it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

dioltas wrote: »
    Is that the English charts? Where can you check it?

I just had a look on DigitalSpy's music forum and yes it is the English chart.

Joe's physical CD released tomorrow, so his sales will get a big boost from that. He's expected to pull in 350-400k by Sunday. Can't see RATM matching/beating that. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Seriously, if you're gonna to throw away €3 on something like this why don't you actually do something good with your money and give it to charity? Why not keep the Children in Need song at number 1? At least you'll actually be doing some good then.

You could say the same about people who buy X-Factor debut singles that they'll probably never listen to, it also applys to about half the Top 40 Albums during any Christmas period. If you use that judgement on people than almost everyone is guilty in some way.
    unreggd wrote: »
    These campaigns are a fxckin joke

Xfactor is a TV show that gets millions of viewers

Say what you want about the public bein brainwashed, but people will buy a song because they like it

Jeff Buckley didnt beat Alexandra last year, so RATM havent a hope in hell

If anything you're the ones who are brainwashing people. YOU'RE telling them what music to buy, and that you're right

Grow the fxck up

:pac: It wont make number one but it's worth it just just to read X-Factor fans throwing hissy fits like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

both songs are owned by the same record company can you imagine how much they love this

You could say the same about people who buy X-Factor debut singles that they'll probably never listen to, it also applys to about half the Top 40 Albums during any Christmas period. If you use that judgement on people than almost everyone is guilty in some way.
    Not really. The X-Factor debut single is presumably bought by people that, for bad or for worse, actually like the song. Whereas the RATM song is being bought as a protest song.
    As I've said early, buying the Children in Need song would have at least given some money to charity.

netanyahu wrote: »
    both songs are owned by the same record company can you imagine how much they love this

That's fantastic. 99.9% of the people who work for Sony BMG aren't "evil corporate executives". So if their profits are up because of this, then maybe a few ordinary people won't lose their jobs this year due to cost-cuts.
    As I've said early, buying the Children in Need song would have at least given some money to charity.

The UK RATM campaign has raised £37,000 so far for charity. It's obviously not money coming from the sales but it's money that wouldn't have been raised otherewise without a campaign.

Edit: Tom Morrello praises 'independent spirit' of Christmas No.1 campaign
    Me personally, I am going to donate part of my proceeds from the sales to an organisation in the UK called Youth Music, which is the UK’s largest children’s music charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Next you wil be asking us to kill Santa..

Whats the point ?

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Whats the point?

We're all just pissed Olly didn't win.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Now why on earth would he do that?

The money?

Takk wrote: »
    The money?
    And we have a winner!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

Papa Smut wrote: »
    If that is your reason, why not get this strength behind an artist NOT signed to a major label? Even (God forbid) an unsigned/independent label artist? They're there, you just have to look.

And if someone tells me Sony aren't behind this, they can go and take a long walk off a short pier.

This has been the most cynical attempt at gaining interest in the Christmas singles market I have ever seen.

It'd be great if an independant/unsigned band got the Number 1 spot instead but let's be realistic here. Which would you honestly think would have a better chance of topping the chart: Independant/unsigned or Rage's worldwide (using the term loosely here, before someone starts berating me about how people in The Congo don't know the song!), rocking anthem???

Also, don't know if you were refering to me here but, I never said Sony weren't behind it. But, like I said, I don't care who IS behind it. Would still prefer Rage over X-Factor at Number 1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

SMASH THE SYSTEM :rolleyes:

This "protest" is so much lamer than that X-Factor single could possibly be.

rovert wrote: »
    SMASH THE SYSTEM :rolleyes:

This "protest" is so much lamer than that X-Factor single could possibly be.

X-Factor fanboy! :p

Seriously though, no matter what avenue you choose, we all at some level are conforming. Be it the X-Factor people, the Rage supporters or even those of you (yes you people!) of the "You're just as bad for joining a group to get Rage to Number 1!" camp. Because the truth is.......wait for it............there are no individual thoughts on the matter. You say, "This is a load of sh*te!"-Individual thought. Someone says, "I agree!" - No longer an individual thought!

At the end of the day it's akin to a room full of people. Some say, "We want X-Factor!". Others say, "We want Rage!". The rest say, "I don't care, I think you're all w*ankers!".

I just happen to be a w*nker from the Rage camp!

"An' ya do what they told ya................"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Firstly Tom Morello is donating all his profits from this to a UK Charity.

Secondly RATM are now very slight favourites in all major bookmakers. Last night it was 4/1, this morning 2/1 and now its 4/5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Got me a credit card today, any way to buy the same song more than once on iTunes? Also how close is it in Ireland? I'm guessing it's favorite in Britain rather than Ireland.

RATM now 1/18 for the UK number 1 on PaddyPower! EDIT: Sorry that's without the X-Factor, anyone got a link to proper odds? EDIT AGAIN: PaddyPower have it 4-5 for the X-Factor lad and evens for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

F*ck you, I'm not paying for music.

Kold wrote: »
    F*ck you, I'm not paying for music.

Haha! I'd normally be in complete agreement but it's for a good cause!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Next you wil be asking us to kill Santa..

Whats the point ?

its just a bit of fun, for 3 reasons!
    1. as the most people who buy singles are teenage girls, and the lyrics of killing in the name sum it up pretty well, "now you are under control, now you do what they told ya!"
    2. According to an interview with the x factor winner yesterday, he has never heard killing in the name! what a sheltered life he must live.
    3. All the money that RATM get is going to charity.

Rage were ahead in the charts as of this morning, but the xfactor single is only being relased today. Rage prob wont get the number 1 slot, but should get a top 10 position!

Advertisement