Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing in the name for no.1 this xmas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

I can imagaine cowell and the label wondering what they'll do this christmas, since x factor will be certianly in the top 3 anyway. How to make more money ........ hmmm .. how about re-releasing something they'll make money from anyway and convince people its a 'power to the people' type internet viral thing!

yeah - as I said, lemmings.
    Oh please, don't be deluded. So this campaign would be fine if we were pushing for an unknown band for the No. 1?

Well at least you wouldnt be helping the people you're apparently trying to spite. The irony in this is just fecken amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Is it possible to have a thread anywhere on this site where there is no bitching

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

iamhunted wrote: »
    I can imagaine cowell and the label wondering what they'll do this christmas, since x factor will be certianly in the top 3 anyway. How to make more money ........ hmmm .. how about re-releasing something they'll make money from anyway and convince people its a 'power to the people' type internet viral thing!

Well at least you wouldnt be helping the people you're apparently trying to spite. The irony in this is just fecken amazing.

And for the 3rd (4th, 5th?) time, not bothered about the money aspect. Simply X-Factor or Rage for No. 1? Rage please.

Just out of curiosity, what alternative would you prefer to see to the whole scenario?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

:rolleyes:
    Please take off that tin foil hat.

i cant. It fits too snuggly.

Besides, are you telling me that they'd never do that? Look what the movie studios done with paranormal activity - made up a viral cvampaign then put it online so allt he paranormalists would give it free advertising. Seriously, there's no need for a tin foil hat.

Ive said my piece so theres no point in saying more after this - you are being fooled by the music industry into buying a different product of theirs.

If you are a ratm fan, then thats actually quite a cool thing to happen.

but if you think you are in any way stopping the x factor or teaching 'them' a lession, then you are sorely wrong.

• Advertisement

i cant. It fits too snuggly.

Besides, are you telling me that they'd never do that? Look what the movie studios done with paranormal activity - made up a viral cvampaign then put it online so allt he paranormalists would give it free advertising. Seriously, there's no need for a tin foil hat.

Ive said my piece so theres no point in saying more after this - you are being fooled by the music industry into buying a different product of theirs.

If you are a ratm fan, then thats actually quite a cool thing to happen.

but if you think you are in any way stopping the x factor or teaching 'them' a lession, then you are sorely wrong.

Well I can't speak for everyone else but sufficed to say (again) I don't care about teaching anyone a lesson or anything of the sort, I would just rather see Rage at number 1 than X-Factor. I don't care who the money goes to.

But I'm still interested, what alternative would you prefer to see to the whole scenario?

which scenario? Yours is to get RATM to no 1 - I assume you are a fan so theres nothing wrong with that idea. THe other scenario is something to do with x factor and not letting them have a number 1. The best solution to that is dont watch the crap in the first place and for people to develop a taste in music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Tony Fenton just announced there that Joe's song got the number one spot for Cgristmas in Ireland. It's hardly in already is it, if the date that it counted from was today?

which scenario? Yours is to get RATM to no 1 - I assume you are a fan so theres nothing wrong with that idea. THe other scenario is something to do with x factor and not letting them have a number 1. The best solution to that is dont watch the crap in the first place and for people to develop a taste in music.

Haha! Therein lies the problem my friend! It would be easier to get Rage to No. 1 for the next ten years than to get these people to develop a taste in music! :D

which is why i dont give a flying fig who is no 1 in the charts - I dont listen to chart music anyway. It just makes the big labels richer and more powerful, leading to more X factor type successes, so contributing to RATM, which contributes to their label which in turn contributes to Sony who then pump their money into X Factor makes the whole thing counter productive and a waste of everyones time ... bar those who make the money out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Phantom fm are actually running ads asking people to support the drive to be rid of X Factor's grasp on the christmas number 1...a whole page of details here:

http://phantom.ie/entertainment/3130-rage-against-the-xmas-no-1.html

Personally I think it's ****ing ridiculous we in Ireland cannot conjour up one original idea on our own. England coughs, Ireland catches a cold.

It's embarrassing.

Hi, I am CEO of Phantom 105.2 and the reason we aligned ourselves with the rage campaign is that it already has a strong presence in the mind of the general public because of the momentum behind the UK group.

We believe that the almost automatic chart placement of X Factor winner tracks should be challenged but with such a short space of time available to make an impact the chances of success in inventing a new campaign and getting the message across to the wider public,is minimal. The X Factor machine is probably the most successful music promotional vehicle ever and it will be very difficult to work against it. Personally, I think it's important that at least an attempt is made - even if it is only a gesture in the end. I can see the wider arguments about Sony profiting from both tracks, but only one aspect can be focused on at a time. Making the world absolutely perfect will be another day's work and will take longer than the week long window of opportunity that this campaign is working in.

Likewise the suggested focus on an Irish and/or unsigned act is a nice idea but again time and attention spans are short and the best shot has to be taken in this particular case.

In the end I think most fans of real music would like to strike a blow for people who write their own songs and play instruments. The current campaign gives people an outlet to express their opinions. It may not be the best way of doing it, but it is the one that is up and running at short notice.

Everyone is free to accept or decline the invitation to participate. We are simply highlighting the opportunity and hopefully helping to introduce an element of competition into what for recent years has been an inevitable TV promoted conclusion.

Regards,

Ger Roe.
    CEO Phantom 105.2

which is why i dont give a flying fig who is no 1 in the charts - I dont listen to chart music anyway. It just makes the big labels richer and more powerful, leading to more X factor type successes, so contributing to RATM, which contributes to their label which in turn contributes to Sony who then pump their money into X Factor makes the whole thing counter productive and a waste of everyones time ... bar those who make the money out of it.

Wouldn't be a radio listener myself but, to be fair, any decent band out there you listen to is signed to some label. I don't have a problem with labels making money out of it. If the labels didn't make money then neither would the bands! Hell, we all have to make a living! X-Factor is going to survive anyway if we sit back and do nothing. So why not get a decent No. 1 out of this thing instead of having X-Fator again and maybe open a few ears out there to some decent music?

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Hi, I am CEO of Phantom 105.2 and the reason we aligned ourselves with the rage campaign is that it already has a strong presence in the mind of the general public because of the momentum behind the UK group.

We believe that the almost automatic chart placement of X Factor winner tracks should be challenged but with such a short space of time available to make an impact the chances of success in inventing a new campaign and getting the message across to the wider public,is minimal. The X Factor machine is probably the most successful music promotional vehicle ever and it will be very difficult to work against it. Personally, I think it's important that at least an attempt is made - even if it is only a gesture in the end. I can see the wider arguments about Sony profiting from both tracks, but only one aspect can be focused on at a time. Making the world absolutely perfect will be another day's work and will take longer than the week long window of opportunity that this campaign is working in.

Likewise the suggested focus on an Irish and/or unsigned act is a nice idea but again time and attention spans are short and the best shot has to be taken in this particular case.

In the end I think most fans of real music would like to strike a blow for people who write their own songs and play instruments. The current campaign gives people an outlet to express their opinions. It may not be the best way of doing it, but it is the one that is up and running at short notice.

Everyone is free to accept or decline the invitation to participate. We are simply highlighting the opportunity and hopefully helping to introduce an element of competition into what for recent years has been an inevitable TV promoted conclusion.

Regards,

Ger Roe.
    CEO Phantom 105.2

Right on! Fight the power! (Albeit one step at a time!! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Sheesh, I despair sometimes. Why all the hating?

Nobody thinks we're taking down the system. It's a bit of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Joe McElderry has taken the lead. 19,000 between them in the UK.

Got the #1 spot in Ireland, RATM #2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

just downloaded rage,its still number one according to i tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Just downloaded it there :)

/pats self on back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Where is everyone seein the iTunes charts?

It's not even listed

http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10songs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Sony are loving this haha. Not to mention the rage guys getting an extra few bob for chrimbo. Always nice to see people help the homeless this time of year.

dont disagree or else then you'll be 'hatin'.

Lads, you arent fighting the power, or if you think you are then you obviously cant see the power that actually needs fighting in the music industry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Elektriksheep

For all the cynics out there and those who are thinking "Why should I bother supporting the campaign?"...

There are many many reasons why this campaign is a GREAT idea, SOME of which are: IT WOULD BE A LAUGH, it would be funny for "F*** YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME" to be plastered all over the radio for Christmas, and future Christmas albums etc instead of the usual manufactured bullsh**, it makes a statement to people in the UK and elsewhere in the world that consumer demand can make a difference, it makes a statement about people power, it highlights the fact that not everyone likes manufactured karaoke products like Joe McElderry (but everyone has the right and choice to like that sort of thing if they like) and that thousands and thousands of people all over the UK believe in REAL music, lyrics, and vocals that are motivated out of passion, emotion, and inspiration and not motivated by a desire to become famous, rich, or popular.

Personally, in general, I don't watch TV, I don't watch X-Factor, and I don't pay any attention to the charts. To me, in general, the charts are fairly meaningless and do more to highlight the effectiveness of good (and well-funded) marketing than to represent the country's most popular artists. But on this occasion I feel it's important to take part in this campaign as it's an opportunity to make a bold, loud, and positive statement. AND IT'LL BE F***KING FUNNY.

AND JUST TO CLEAR THIS UP, Amazon's 29p MP3s DO count towards the charts, btw. I've called Amazon, myself, PERSONALLY, to confirm it (phone number's 0800 496 1081 if anyone wants to confirm for themselves, they're open till 9pm tonight).

Here's the link to where you can buy it...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001I4NZP4/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p340_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=12XA643E13S1ZRS31HV5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

COME ON, PEOPLE, IT'S ONLY 29P. GET INVOLVED.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

For all the cynics out there and those who are thinking "Why should I bother supporting the campaign?"...

There are many many reasons why this campaign is a GREAT idea, SOME of which are: IT WOULD BE A LAUGH, it would be funny for "F*** YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME" to be plastered all over the radio for Christmas, and future Christmas albums etc instead of the usual manufactured bullsh**, it makes a statement to people in the UK and elsewhere in the world that consumer demand can make a difference, it makes a statement about people power, it highlights the fact that not everyone likes manufactured karaoke products like Joe McElderry (but everyone has the right and choice to like that sort of thing if they like) and that thousands and thousands of people all over the UK believe in REAL music, lyrics, and vocals that are motivated out of passion, emotion, and inspiration and not motivated by a desire to become famous, rich, or popular.

Personally, in general, I don't watch TV, I don't watch X-Factor, and I don't pay any attention to the charts. To me, in general, the charts are fairly meaningless and do more to highlight the effectiveness of good (and well-funded) marketing than to represent the country's most popular artists. But on this occasion I feel it's important to take part in this campaign as it's an opportunity to make a bold, loud, and positive statement. AND IT'LL BE F***KING FUNNY.

AND JUST TO CLEAR THIS UP, Amazon's 29p MP3s DO count towards the charts, btw. I've called Amazon, myself, PERSONALLY, to confirm it (phone number's 0800 496 1081 if anyone wants to confirm for themselves, they're open till 9pm tonight).

Here's the link to where you can buy it...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001I4NZP4/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p340_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=12XA643E13S1ZRS31HV5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

COME ON, PEOPLE, IT'S ONLY 29P. GET INVOLVED.

Can international customers buy MP3 Music from Amazon.co.uk?

At this time music downloads are only available to UK customers (including The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man). We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭flutes

nm wrote: »

This works, takes less than five minutes altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

just downloaded my two copies. Making a better (or at least a more rockin) world for my boy to grow up in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

There are many many reasons why this campaign is a GREAT idea, SOME of which are: IT WOULD BE A LAUGH, it would be funny for "F*** YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME" to be plastered all over the radio for Christmas, and future Christmas albums etc instead of the usual manufactured bullsh**

Are you serious? That's more depressing than it is funny. And I'm a fan of a lot of Rage songs. It's just not a the most cheerful tune. I don't get why people want an anger filled song playing at Christmas. Maybe personal issues.
    , it makes a statement to people in the UK and elsewhere in the world that consumer demand can make a difference, it makes a statement about people power, it highlights the fact that not everyone likes manufactured karaoke products like Joe McElderry (but everyone has the right and choice to like that sort of thing if they like) and that thousands and thousands of people all over the UK believe in REAL music, lyrics, and vocals that are motivated out of passion, emotion, and inspiration and not motivated by a desire to become famous, rich, or popular.

I think that's obvious. Simon Cowell isn't an idiot.

There is a lot of good music out there that does well. You don't have to be number one in the charts to have done well. I don't know why anybody pays atention to the charts. Listen to what you want to listen to, they're not stopping you.

Kids and tweens are the majority of people that buy singles. That's why the majority of singles that get to number one are songs that appeal to kids and tweens.

i don't see the big conspiracy or problem. It's just popular youth culture. It's not being forced on you. You have plenty of choice.

flutes wrote: »
    This works, takes less than five minutes altogether

DAMN GOOD POST. Good work :O)

egan007 wrote: »
    just downloaded my two copies. Making a better (or at least a more rockin) world for my boy to grow up in :)

Damn right ;O)

• Advertisement

koHd wrote: »
    That's more depressing than it is funny.

Maybe you should get a sense of humour then ;O)

Advertisement