Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu: Strange Applications' Wine + Other submenu behaviour

Options
  • 08-12-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

Some months ago I incorrectly tried to upgrade/uninstall/reinstall WINE and ever since my Applications' Wine and Other submenus has just not been right.

Instead of the Wine submenu having neat little submenus for every Windows program I had installed, just like Program Files/All Programs, it now instead has 3 entries and everything has been put messily into the Other submenu, see below:

v6rbzm.jpg314ffir.jpg

My last attempt at fixing it was yesterday. I removed WINE using synaptic and then through nautilus moved the .wine dir in ~ to trash and deleted it. Then leaving my /home partition intact I formatted my / partition before freshly installing Ubuntu 9.10 from disc.

On boot I reinstalled WINE only to find I still had the same problem and curiously enough even the messy Other menu whose symlinks lead to files which no longer exist. To test the Wine menu I quickly installed a small Windows program and it failed to give me a sub menu for it in Applications >> Wine >> as it should and did before.

Perhaps I need to first remove a file which governs the Applications menu from my /~ dir before reinstalling the system again?

Also, I don't remember having these windowsprogram.desktop and windowsprogram.ink files cluttering up my desktop before I initially had the problem so it may be related?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

The below troubleshooting was recommended to me:
    Wine has its own built-in uninstaller - the equivalent of Windows' "Add/Remove Programs" function for running standardized uninstallers. In recent versions, a shortcut has been added to Wine's menu, along with a shortcut to winecfg.

Note that Wine does not fully implement everything required to cleanly uninstall all applications. Some uninstallers might not function at all. To remove all programs installed under Wine, remove the ~/.wine directory:

rm -rf $HOME/.wine

Also the uninstaller does not remove menu and desktop entries. To remove all Wine-created menu entries run the following commands

rm -f $HOME/.config/menus/applications-merged/wine*
    rm -rf $HOME/.local/share/applications/wine
    rm -f $HOME/.local/share/desktop-directories/wine*
    rm -f $HOME/.local/share/icons/????_*.xpm

After following the above now all but 5 of the symlinks in Applications >> Other have been removed. Should I just remove them by right clicking the Applications menu and selecting Edit or is there a cleaner more complete way to do this?

2n92sm.jpg

Also, as you can see this did not appear to remove any of the .desktop or .ink files from my desktop, again should I just move them to trash or is there a cleaner more complete way to do this?

Lastly, I'm anxious to see if installing Windows programs will once again give me nice submenus within the Applications >> Wine submenu like it used to but I don't want to reinstall WINE yet until the remaining symlinks and redundant files on the desktop are completely removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

LA3G: Hows CS:Source in wine BTW?

It's been too long since I've played that game

Advertisement