Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork Shoulder - slow roasting question

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I wouldn't, because since it's cooked at such a low temperature 2 hours wouldn't be enough. I'd still cook it for at least 3 hours, maybe a bit more.

Nice recipe by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Thanks Dizzy. I'm not sure though, would it not dry it out completely if i was to cook it for the same amount of time?

Does anyone else have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Kimia wrote: »
    Thanks Dizzy. I'm not sure though, would it not dry it out completely if i was to cook it for the same amount of time?

Does anyone else have any ideas?

no, cooking weights work like
    base + time per kg
    e.g. if cooking a turkey they say something like
    cook for 4
    30mins + 30mins for each kg .. (this is an example) + rest

so you shouldn't halve it, maybe 2.5hrs rather than 3kg
    here are some examples
    http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Slow-Roasted-Pork-with-Fresh-Herbs-L2738.html
    that has 150c 1.5kg for 3.5hrs
    so 3hrs does seem a decent time.

Thanks Hussey, I see what you mean. It does seem to be around 3 hours. Yum!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Kimia, if you were cooking it at a higher temperature such as 180C you'd reduce the time by more, but when you're doing it at 140C it just wouldn't cook in 2 hours.

Let us know how it turns out - I'm thinking of trying it myself :)

• Advertisement

Very true Dizzy - I'd say about 3.5 hours. I'll let you know how it goes! i'm very excited about it.

Advertisement