Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitty issues

Options
  • 08-12-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Guys,

Maybe some of you knowledgeable folk can help.

As a background, my family and I have always had cats throughout the years, but they always seemed to be fully grown when we adopted/ rescued them. We have had one or two kittens and I never remember this being a problem...

This time, we adopted a kitten from the DSPCA about 5 weeks ago and she's really lovely. However, I have a minor concern.

She is now 12 weeks old and full of beans. She follows us absolutely everywhere! She cannot bear to be left outside a closed door for more than 2 seconds before she starts crying at the top of her lungs and scratching the door. I have to put her out of the room when we're eating, because she simply clambers all over you to get to your plate. No matter how many times I put her down, she just climbs back up! Same thing if we try to sleep - can't have her in the room with us as she will climb all over your face. Problem is she cries at all hours of the night (3am, 5am...) outside the bedroom door, even though I make a hot water bottle every night for her to sleep with.

SO... the upshot is, we have to pop her in another room and I hate hearing her cry! Honestly, the little thing follows me upstairs and cries outside the loo door every time you go in. She's utterly healthy and has had all her shots etc. She is playful and affectionate and falls asleep around my neck at every opportunity.

The question is, is this a normal neediness from a kitten that she'll grow out of or is she more than usually clingy?

I appreciate any wise advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

I had one just like that and he grew out of it, so there is hope! He used to follow me everywhere and was bonkers as well (running up the curtains and the like). He just seemed to settle more and more the older he got, until he turned into a lazy slob!

But you will just have to be firm and patient with her as well. Say no in a loud, sharp voice if she is trying to get on the table and stuff like that. As for crying at night, can you lock her in a room away from your bedroom? She will cry for a while, but she will get used to it. You could also try tiring her out a lot before bedtime by playing with her?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I had same problem with my kitten when I got her... and the sleepless nights nearly killed me! But she did get better, as she got older and more comfortable: we've had her over a year now and she is much quieter and calmer. It just takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

OP, yours has been my experience with every kitten I have fostered. It does take time, but they do grow out of it. I have a little fella with me at the moment who is twelve weeks old and cannot bear to be left on his own, he cries and cries and cries! He does settle down eventually though. When your kitten is all grown up, independent, self-contained and often aloof, you'll miss these crazy, cuddly kitten days - make the most of them! :D

Edited to add: If the DSPCA rehomed your kitten to you at such a young age (the recommended age is ten weeks minimum) the kitten must have been separated from mum and siblings very early. (Not the DSPCA's fault - your kitten was probably handed in to them as a stray.) I find that the kittens that get to spend those extra few weeks with mum and their siblings are more independent. If they are rehomed very young they imprint on your family and you're filling the void of mum and brothers and sisters! That explains why your kitten doesn't want to be separated from you but she will get better. Encourage her to be independent by making sure she spends short periods of time alone during the day. At night time I would confine her to one room with a litter tray, cosy bed etc. so that she won't come looking for you. She will cry for a while at first but she should settle down to sleep eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I've the exact same thing with my stray kitten. She's 11 wks, found her at 7/8 so she is a little clingy. She thinks my dressing gown has teats & keeps trying to suckle it all the time! Bless

When she is keeping you up at night, you have to stick her in another room (where you can't hear her) with litter tray, food, water, couple toys & something to sleep on. She definitely won't like it at first but will get used to it. Eventually she'll get into the habit of making that time when she's in the room her sleep time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Callie

Thanks!

It really is lovely to have such a tiny thing follow you around! You're right Boomerang - The lady from the DSPCA said she had been abandoned by her mother at around 5 weeks. I guessed that was part of the problem alright!

Last night was the first time I had the heart to leave her closed in the one room - I made sure she had everything, but the guilt! At least I slept all night for the first time in a month - the bf was so relieved!

This is the little terror ;)

13638_166406782715_577262715_2687712_5454471_n.jpg
    13638_166406742715_577262715_2687706_6978205_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

What a little cutie - you are so lucky, and so is she! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi, what a cutie.:D
    We have had cats my whole life(and dogs and assorted smallies), usually more than one at a time.
    Would you consider getting a friend for the kitten?
    From my experience kittens in pairs are more settled and content(but just as crazy!), and its not much more effort to look after two but twice the entertainment.
    We also adopted two 8 week old orphan kittens a few years ago, We first took one but he was so clingy and crying all the time I went back for his brother!
    He was so much better after that.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Ah, what a cutie! I know all about the guilt, but she's fine once she has everything she needs. You have to look out for yourself sometimes too. My madam (3yo) still wakes me some nights too, 'just cause' I think, but she's much better than she used to be. Now she will come to bed with us more often than not and stay quiet until the alarm goes off, at which point I'm fair game for her to sit on my tummy, chew my hands etc!

Advertisement