Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumour of cutback in Telephone allowance scehem in budget

Options
  • 08-12-2009 1:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

I have heard that the government is looking at cutting back the Telephone Allowance from €26 a month to €20 a month ..I am unsure whether the latter is ex vat or gross. If ex vat they are only cutting from €21.50 to €20 in effect.

Their attitude is that all the mobile networks and even NTL now supply a package for €20 a month with calls included and that there is an alternative to paying €26 line rental.

They are also looking at the TV Licence and considering reducing that allowance to €100 or €120 a month ...so the beneficiary of the allowance pays less than €1 a week on the balance.

We shall all know tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think this is reasonable. The cost of comms has come down and there is need for those savings to be passed on to the government.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Their attitude is that all the mobile networks and even NTL now supply a package for €20 a month with calls included and that there is an alternative to paying €26 line rental.
    The mobile networks have been benefitting from teh scheme for several years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why not give just them a tenners fone credit and let Eircom die, 80 million saved with one stroke of the pen

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Why not give just them a tenners fone credit and let Eircom die, 80 million saved with one stroke of the pen

some people want a phone line so they can get ADSL....I know my parents do :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Untouched in the end. Lots of elderly people have DSL nowadays. I know 80+ year olds with Skype .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Untouched in the end. Lots of elderly people have DSL nowadays. I know 80+ year olds with Skype .

We all know Midband products are not a suitable replacement for ADSL ;)
    Glad they didn't touch it

• Advertisement
Advertisement