Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying display models

Options
  • 08-12-2009 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

if a company have a product displayed for sale but have none other than the display model available, do they have to sell the display model?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In short - No.

They never HAVE to sell anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As previously said, they do not have to sell you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

my experiecne with display models is never ever buy them...
    if you do decide to do it make sure you get a hefty discount cica 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I got a display model once from Atlantic. I worked there at the time and really wanted this desk and there was only display. So it gets delivered and guys bring it upstairs for me, I go to wipe it down and put things in the drawers only to notice amongst cleaning products for store use, several packs of j cloths along with quite a few other bits, wallpaper stick on decor squares, handles, and some expensive tools.

Needless to say I brought them back to the store, as I worked there I wouldnt want to be accused of anything but I guess it would have been handy for anyone who didnt work there.

I had a neighbour though buy a display model oven, she wasnt as lucky as me, she ended up without the interior panels in the oven, no grill, missing parts so the electrican couldnt even hook it up whilst waiting for the rest. Only after over a week did she mention to me her sickness of take aways, obviously being a kindly neighbour I cooked her family a nice beef stew, being winter.

Its a chance you take, you can be lucky, you can be unlucky as demonstrated above. As for whether they have to, no they dont, although often when a line is discountinued they will, but otherwise it would be too costly for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

They don't have to sell you it. It's up to them.

As others said be very careful buying display models as some may be damaged on the shop floor or have parts lost.

On the other hand you can get great deals on display items. I fell in love with lights that I wanted for my landing but the shop only had the display ones. They offered to sell them to me for 75% less than the marked price. I was delighted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement