Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any suggestion for art supplies (canvas, oil paint) in Galway?

Options
  • 18-02-2009 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

anyone know of a good art supply shop in galway?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

There's a Hobby Shop near Dunnes in Terryland (in behind the marriot) which has lots of art stuff I fink...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Easons have some basics, there is somewhere else out a bit - can't remember - if it comes to me..

Edit; pipped at the post above, that's the one I was thinking of!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭thecountessp

Powells, on Shop Street are decent and central. (Art is upstairs)

Cregal Art on the Monivea Road are pretty fantastic, they've got a lot of space and supply secondary schools too- used to beg my Mum to bring me there when I was a kid, and apparently they've expanded it even more recently.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

lovertits wrote: »

Cregal Art on the Monivea Road are pretty fantastic, they've got a lot of space and supply secondary schools too- used to beg my Mum to bring me there when I was a kid, and apparently they've expanded it even more recently.

This post.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Cregal Art are opposite the Eircom building on the Monivea Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭GunScope

Cregal Art on the Monivea Road are pretty fantastic ... loads of fun materials ... just be careful ... that glitter'll get ya and ya won't even see the sparkly bugger coming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Polka

Do they have a ready canvasses there ??? I used to buy them in the PET WORLD, but they don't have art staff anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Can't go wrong with Cregal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

lovertits wrote: »

+1 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mikebites

Where do you buy your art supplies from? I'm looking for charcoal pencils of different size, oil paint (with terpentine and linseed oils) and also proper art (oil and ordinary) papers to suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with another thread on same subject.
    You can also check out the Arts forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's a new arts and hobbies shop upstairs in Corbett Court (ie Eyre Square Centre).

Lots of stock, the art-supplies stuff is on the far side from the door.

I don't know enough to assess whether it's good quality and/or prices. But 'tis a central location, so will suit some people.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The selection of art supplies isn't fantastic, but they have quality brands. It's a little expensive too but I must agree that the location is great if you're in town though.

Would still recommend Cregal for it's massive selection and decent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Easons probably the best value, got stuff in Powells before and it was a bit overpriced. But if you want to shop local Powells prob need the money more than Easons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

Lidl sometimes do prepared canvases cheaply. Their paintbrushes are useless though.
    Cregal Art has tons of stuff, and good parking! Number 3 bus wfrom town will get you there.
    Powells is nice & Central.
    The new Art 'n' Hobby in Eyre Square has tons of stuff, and is a national chain, so if they don't have something in stock, they will usually order it for you.
    Oddly, Woodies does prepared canvases & art stuff - upstairs in the little mezzanine bit.
    The paint box, upstairs in Terryland has nice bit & bobs.

It's great to support local shops, and also to be able to see what you're buying, but Galway is VERY expensive for most art materials. If you're buying a lot, or buying really specific stuff where you already know what brands you want, then try the internet for best bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Lidl had art supplies on Monday. Might be worth checking to see if they've any left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

cregal art

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I believe that there are a few art supply items in TK Max but no idea what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

coldwood92 wrote: »
    cregal art

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Laureyna

Cregal Art is the best for art and crafts in Galway and probably in Ireland

http://cregalart.ie/marteccart/pc/mainindex.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Laureyna wrote: »
    Cregal Art is the best for art and crafts in Galway and probably in Ireland

http://cregalart.ie/marteccart/pc/mainindex.asp
    True..but they aint cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread is a year old. Anyway, it's seems everyone agrees on Cregal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement