Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mess left behind by guys selling Holly/Xmas trees on O'Briens Bridge

Options
  • 08-12-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Have ye seen it:eek:

It's an abolute mess, when they pull in their Christmas trees in the evening, the mess left behind is terrible.

And it's actualy slippy in the wet too so watch your back;)

Are these guys legally allowed to sell trees like that without cleaning up the mess after them?

I always thought traders cleaned up after them, why not these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Someone should do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Hey leave them alone, boss. They're a different ethnic group entirely, tis their culture to leave the place in a state. We have to learn to accept this cultural diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Complain to the local litter warden in the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sure, take a broom down this evening, and offer to help 'em clean up. They'll probably be so grateful that they'll give you a free tree for your efforts.
    (Or a starring role tomorrow as the angel at the top of the tree ;)

Col200sx wrote: »
    Are these guys legally allowed to sell trees like that without cleaning up the mess after them?

A better question might be "are these guys legally allowed to sell trees on the street? I thought all street traders had to be licenced". That said, I wouldn't like to be the community warden asking 'em to leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How is there space on O'Briens Bridge with all the illegally parked taxis?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 padraig61091

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Hey leave them alone, boss. They're a different ethnic group entirely, tis their culture to leave the place in a state. We have to learn to accept this cultural diversity.

lol i assume that was a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Its a ****ing disgrace

They have been there as long as I remember - the veg sellers can leave a mess in the market.

There don't seem to be any sellers on Rosemary avenue any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Seen that alright, not as many trees as other years, they must have robbed all the trees outta the forest in Recess by now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Any odd branches left around? Love the smell but haven't room for a real tree,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Funny how quickly it came to knacker bashing.
    Any more of that and it's infracts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'd rather the tree bits than the taxis tbh! They seemed to have moved the taxis on temporarily. There may be travellers selling solely now, but years ago there were a couple of tree traders and from different places. Less of the bashing please?

Years ago we used to decorate our flat from the tree 'leavings' near the bridge!!!:)
    Maybe dem young students nowadays are just too lazy (oops, student bashing) :p

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Seen that alright, not as many trees as other years, they must have robbed all the trees outta the forest in Recess by now.
    According to ear to the ground there weren't enough planted around the millennium because of a glut on the market - there is a shortage now. The bigger firms have supplies locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

No bashing from me, not at all. Only just annoyed at the mess left there.

Plus walking past there last night I nearly landed on me arse after stepping on a bit of Christmas tree that was wet:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Personally i think its a lovely tradition that makes Galway at Christmas. Fair play to them its cold spot to be all day selling. Enough with the giving out wheres the festive spirit :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

An opportune time for people to re-read the Charter, specifically point 9.

/moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Posts removed.
    The really correct term is prejudice and narrow-mindedness.

Take it away yourself. Makes good mulch.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Dont think much will be done even if a complaint is made about this guys. Unfortunate enough

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Plus walking past there last night I nearly landed on me arse after stepping on a bit of Christmas tree that was wet:rolleyes:

And what about the lovely frictionless granite paving laid around Galway at our expense?

Litigious society--

Weed out the weak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Leave O'Briens Bridge alone, first sign of Christmas for many! That & getting a free bunch of holly. (What's the story there? - nobody does holly anymore?) & how come people don't have accidents anymore, they're always watching where theyr'e going & it has to be somebody elses' fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

In fairness it was cleaned up this morning (07/12/09) as I droved passed it. (7am)

po0k wrote: »
    And what about the lovely frictionless granite paving laid around Galway at our expense?

Good point. Outside Logues and Ulster Bank is lethal in the wet.
    In fairness it was cleaned up this morning (07/12/09) as I droved passed it. (7am)

Ya I drove past this morning at 7.45 and from what I could make out it looked like it was swept up alright.

I'm guessing the Council were out early and not the sellers did it themselves:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Council vacuum cleaners hit the city streets around 5am. Cleaning up the mess made by party-animals of all shapes and sizes, including tree sellers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Please don't buy holly from those people!!! They've pretty much wiped out female holly in the wild - those sawn off branches they sell are up to 10 years old, and have been taken from wild trees at a rate which is not sustainable. I get into a rage every time I walk past there...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Lads, do the country a favour and DON'T BUY TREE'S FROM THESE PEOPLE. The people cutting these trees down didn't sew/grow them.

Instead, buy them from somewhere reputable (sp?) like a Coillte centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Hopefully gonna get round to buying a tree this week, anyone know where else in or near the city that are selling real trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

If you buy a tree, consider replanting two or more in its place, (not necessarily the same species, and do a bit of research) or sponsoring someone who does this. That way we can all take responsibility in a different way if we f*ck up where we source them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Predalien wrote: »
    Hopefully gonna get round to buying a tree this week, anyone know where else in or near the city that are selling real trees?

There's a Coillte depot out near B&Q in Knocknacarra.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    There's a Coillte depot out near B&Q in Knocknacarra.

Yep, it's directly at the back of the building of Pure Skill/Monkey Business.

Get ours there every year:)

Advertisement