Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SonicTitan

I'm considering moving from Eircom to the 15mb deal.
    It says under the "What you need" tab on UPC website that the service is only supported when one PC operates with one modem. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this means? I want to be able to have more than one pc online and the Xbox and PS3 too.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

It means you will have to buy a separate router to use more than one pc or other device.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭JDxtra

SonicTitan wrote: »
    It says under the "What you need" tab on UPC website that the service is only supported when one PC operates with one modem. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this means? I want to be able to have more than one pc online and the Xbox and PS3 too.

Cheers.

You can connect as many devices as you want. This probably means you will need at least one PC/laptop or that they will only support one device. Probably designed to reduce support calls. If you want to connect other devices, then you are on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

SonicTitan wrote: »

Cheers.

you can have more then one PC online.

i dont know why they say that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Got mine upgraded earlier:

672894599.png

Grabbed the first Ubuntu post I seen, so not too bad.

DfNwv.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Tony wrote: »
    It means you will have to buy a separate router to use more than one pc or other device.

You get the wireless router free with the 15mb package so could have more than one pc connected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I was getting the whole 20mb before this upgrade yesterday but since then speeds have been 15mb or under if this aint sorted by tomorrow there getting a call. Its like instead of giving me an extra 10mb they took 10mb away and increased the upload speed, tried resetting the modem loads of times :mad:

672969261.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Just phoned them there and upgraded from 10 to 30Mb. I made sure they weren't extending my contract cos i'm paying for an upgrade not getting a free one.

From lookin on here tomorrow I could either have super excellent speed broadband or about 2Mb download and 3Mb upload. I'm hoping for the former cos I always get my full 10Mb and A grade ping tests.

NothingMan wrote: »
    From lookin on here tomorrow I could either have super excellent speed broadband or about 2Mb download and 3Mb upload. I'm hoping for the former cos I always get my full 10Mb and A grade ping tests.
    I was getting the whole 20mb before this upgrade yesterday but since then speeds have been 15mb or under if this aint sorted by tomorrow there getting a call. :mad:
    A few people have problem, it either sorted itself out the next day or a quick phone call fixed it.

• Advertisement

Yarnhall wrote: »
    A few people have problem, it either sorted itself out the next day or a quick phone call fixed it.

Well they upgrade quick enough. Just called an hour ago and done a speed test there and got low speeds so I rebooted and like most people I have full 3Mb upload and about 6 Download. I will wait til tomorrow for a while before worrying. They did say it takes up to 48 hours so that's a disclaimer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Davy wrote: »
    You get the wireless router free with the 15mb package so could have more than one pc connected

I stand corrected

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I filled out the form yesterday at lunchtime. I didn't get a mail but when I got home my connection was dead. Router isn't connecting. I rang UPC this evening and they couldn't get it to sync. Will take a week at least for someone to come out.

I looked at the router logs. It's doing a dhcp request and not getting a response. Seems to be a signal, it just can't connect. Is there there anything I can do even while on the phone to them to avoid a week without a connection? I have one of those scientific Atlanta routers for phone and broad band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Is there there anything I can do even while on the phone to them to avoid a week without a connection? I have one of those scientific Atlanta routers for phone and broad band.
    i'd ring during office hours and ask to speak to a manager to make a complaint. its unreasonable of them to expect you to wait a week without your phoneline and broadband imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

Sent an transfer request for 10mb to 15mb yesterday. received email to day asking me to reboot modem to complete upgrade. Did that, the bam...15mb. Now i'm only getting over 1 mb download speed! Arrrrrrhhhhh. Whats going on now? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

Daithi07 wrote: »
    Sent an transfer request for 10mb to 15mb yesterday. received email to day asking me to reboot modem to complete upgrade. Did that, the bam...15mb. Now i'm only getting over 1 mb download speed! Arrrrrrhhhhh. Whats going on now? :confused:

A few people have posted the same issue. Give it a while and it should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

I'm on the 20mb plan, haven't requested an upgrade. For the past two weeks my download speed has been sh1te. I was getting around 15, now lucky to get 5.
    When I rang about the this I got the usual bull, looks ok to them, must be my laptop.

Could the upgrade be causing the problem? Anyone had similar issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I'm on the broadband extreme package (80€ a month for no download limits)
    Is it worth extending contract to get bit faster? Anyone getting near 30Mb?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Upgraded today online to 30mb anyone know how quick upgrade kicks in?Not a new customer and not happy that to upgrade you have to sign up a direct debit:mad:

• Advertisement

I called earlier and upped from 10 - 30Mb. Was told it would be up to 48hours but noticed speeds were slow and rebooted. The upload was top 3Mb immediately but the download has been slowly increasing all evening. At around 13Mb now. Looking at everyone elses it should be 25 + by morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

I filled in the form Tuesday evening and nothing yet, no email tried rebooting the modem, no joy :( Will have to ring them tomorrow i suppose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

BeansBeans wrote: »
    I filled in the form Tuesday evening and nothing yet, no email tried rebooting the modem, no joy :( Will have to ring them tomorrow i suppose.

Filled in the form tuesday afternoon. I'll wait til thursday before phoning, might be a backlog.

Upgraded today online to 30mb anyone know how quick upgrade kicks in?Not a new customer and not happy that to upgrade you have to sign up a direct debit:mad:
    I upgraded online too, took a day for mine to come through and I didn't have to setup any direct debits either?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Got my upgrade last night, just noticed this morning :)

673434991.png
    673436813.png
    673437378.png
    Yarnhall wrote: »
    I upgraded online too, took a day for mine to come through and I didn't have to setup any direct debits either?!

No direct debit sign up here either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'd ring during office hours and ask to speak to a manager to make a complaint. its unreasonable of them to expect you to wait a week without your phoneline and broadband imho.

I might try ringing them again today. I suspect they modem's mac address may need to be registered again. Surely they can do that with me over the phone. As far as I remember, that's all the technicians do when they come out to install the modems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I upgraded to 30 MB on Monday evening and by Tuesday midday I finally got a full bandwidth but I know notice that my bandwidth changes depending on the time of day.

I became crap in the late afternoon and continued to be so during the evening but this morning it’s back to full speed.

So while on the 20 MB package I got full speed all day around now I’m affected by other people being online.

During the daytime (when I use it most) it’s great with this:
    Upstream Measurement (towards the Internet)
    Available bandwidth range : 2.43 - 4.88 (Mbps)
    Measurement duration : 20.48 sec

Downstream Measurement (from the Internet)
    Available bandwidth is at most 29.60 (Mbps)
    Measurement duration : 21.77 sec

During the evening it can get as bad as this:
    Downstream Measurement (from the Internet)
    Available bandwidth is at most 6.90 (Mbps)
    Measurement duration : 25.55 sec

So I’m kind of satisfied and hope that UPC is doing some work to improve the peak period performance or that I just was unlucky yesterday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Must get the upgrade sorted myself when I get home.

I had an engineer out to the house over crimbo to fix some things and he was saying there is talk of it hitting 100Mb before the end of 2010 but he could be spouting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Theta wrote: »
    Must get the upgrade sorted myself when I get home.

I had an engineer out to the house over crimbo to fix some things and he was saying there is talk of it hitting 100Mb before the end of 2010 but he could be spouting!

He's not spouting they are meant to go to 120 Mb in August, but reckon allow a few months extra, so the end of the year should be realistic for most areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Just off the phone from UPC - they say D15 is currently being "segmented"(putting in more capacity), the last one to be done apparently - and they wont get the upgrade until this happens - about a week they say.

“Roll it back”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement