Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

whats the deal with the new AUP? Doesn't detail what 'excessive usage' is. I.e. the previous 250gb 'fair use' limit doesnt appear to be mentioned. They going to make it up on the spot now for all those who have upgraded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They should have a "don't ruin it for everyone" clause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ozmo wrote: »
    Just off the phone from UPC - they say D15 is currently being "segmented"(putting in more capacity), the last one to be done apparently - and they wont get the upgrade until this happens - about a week they say.

That might be why I'm having terrible lag lately in COD4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Slightly off topic but don't see any need to start a new thread, I've currently got Broadband light and want to upgrade to their 15Mb package. Do I have to ring up and cancel the broadband light package before I order 15Mb package online? Probably is a silly question but don't want to be charged for both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I filled in the form online 2 days ago to upgrade from 10Mbps to 15 Mbps and nothing had happened, so rang them this morning and the lady told me that they were being done on a phased basis over the next few months. I told her all my friends had been upgraded in an hour or 2 and the web page says 2 days, and she still said she could not tell me when I would be upgraded. So I asked her to check the schedule for my area (Clondalkin) she then went quiet and said she was upgrading me now. Upgrade then happened instantly, but strange she just didn't do it straight away when asked. You might want to press the issue if they say they don't know when you will be done. But thanks UPC always nice to get something for nothing especially bandwidth :)

673600653.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

squared wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but don't see any need to start a new thread, I've currently got Broadband light and want to upgrade to their 15Mb package. Do I have to ring up and cancel the broadband light package before I order 15Mb package online? Probably is a silly question but don't want to be charged for both!

No, just call and upgrade, I was on the 10Mb and instead of going to 15 I upped to 30. They tried to tell me my contract would be extended but I argued it cos i'd be paying extra and she just spoke to a manager and said it won't go up. Changes happened immediately but it took overnight for download speeds to jump to their 20's.

NothingMan wrote: »
    No, just call and upgrade, I was on the 10Mb and instead of going to 15 I upped to 30. They tried to tell me my contract would be extended but I argued it cos i'd be paying extra and she just spoke to a manager and said it won't go up. Changes happened immediately but it took overnight for download speeds to jump to their 20's.

The thing is if I upgrade online I avoid the connection fee. Its the Fibre Web offer I'm looking at which includes phone so they would try get the connection fee out of me as its not just a simple speed upgrade I want. I'm guessing there is no phone self install pack like there is with the Mediaboxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

squared wrote: »
    The thing is if I upgrade online I avoid the connection fee. Its the Fibre Web offer I'm looking at which includes phone so they would try get the connection fee out of me as its not just a simple speed upgrade I want. I'm guessing there is no phone self install pack like there is with the Mediaboxes?

Well if you're adding in services like phone then I don't know. But i'd certainly call them, tell them what you want and that you don't want to pay anything you'd get for free online.

At the end of the day you're giving them more money so why should it matter to them that it's just a bit different than standard so you can't upgrade online.

NothingMan wrote: »
    Well if you're adding in services like phone then I don't know. But i'd certainly call them, tell them what you want and that you don't want to pay anything you'd get for free online.

At the end of the day you're giving them more money so why should it matter to them that it's just a bit different than standard so you can't upgrade online.
    Suppose you're right. I'll give them a call and see what they say but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Omg im sooo pissed off just got off the phone after 20 mins and theres nothing they can do for me she gave me the option of downgrading back to 20mb with no contract or keeping what i have with higher upload and the contract :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

got an email off them there, there seems to be a backlog for the online upgrade. Mine is done though, im very happy. I love UPC :p

28 down and 2.8 up at the moment, very happy with that. Was getting almost the full 20 but anyway, ping stayed as low as it was :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

is fibre optic broadband run the same as normal broadband?

because I am not eligable for highspeed broadband due to my area, could it be different with fibre since it's a different system?

cheers,

Kevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Finally got my upgrade filled out the form 2 days ago so they are pretty spot on with that, as regards the wireless router do they send it out now that you have signed up or do you have to ring up about it?

673880324.png

7172779.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Filled out the form yesterday and just got the email today to say its up to 30Mps not at home to try it tho :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

673051112.png
    Took a day and a bit variable but this is what I'm getting wireless for the 15mg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

Emailed them yesterday, no response this afternoon so I filled out the form again. They got back to me in about an hour. Just home now with current speeds:

673931542.png
    7178160.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

BOZG wrote: »
    Emailed them yesterday, no response this afternoon so I filled out the form again. They got back to me in about an hour. Just home now with current speeds:

673931542.png
    7178160.png

674026165.png
    7184605.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Filled in the form on yesterday afternoon, got email this evening.

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/674087605.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]674087605.png

Upload is good, but d/l is supposed to be 30Mb/s. :(...will give it til friday before calling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

I'll fight you for the extra .46 Mb/s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

bit off topic , upc are due to install my broadband tomorrow anyone think they will come in that weather ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

They may turn up, but they may not do anything.
    Do they need to go up on the roof? They won't in this weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

674134130.png

7194024.png

Not worried about the upload but can someone tell me whats the story with my packet loss??

Im a 10 meg connection btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Mailed me and told me I was already on the 30mb

Not happy with the below on wireless and not even getting half the download speed:mad: Reaches for Phone & Angry rant for UPC

674195947.png

Mailed me and told me I was already on the 30mb

Not happy with the below on wireless and not even getting half the download speed:mad: Reaches for Phone & Angry rant for UPC

674195947.png

There is my connection during peak now.
    674211629.png
    A few weeks ago I was only getting 2 to 3meg at peak until UPC added on more bandwidth in my area.

UPC will add on more in every area in the meantime 12meg is a good connection during peak times.

Think of the network like the roads at busy times things slow down until the road is widened.

Id be quite happy with that seeing as it's a 30mbs connection at best

with no contention so 25mbs at peak seems really good

The packet loss is whats bugging me is it these Cisco routers?

bryaner wrote: »

Turn the firewall off on the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

bryaner wrote: »

I had the same - 58% loss. Its the firewall in the router. Turn it off and you won't have the loss.

Edit: Echo!

Pray tell how every time i log on to thr router page its looking for

a poxy password

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oh must give that a go... was getting 98% loss here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement