Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Quick question lads, I'm in D14 and the UPC site says we're good for all services, grand. Thing is, our phone line was routed to Rathmines when we moved here, something to do with keeping our number I think. Rathmines only get Digital Tv and Digital+. Does this mean we cant get the 30Mb

NTL/UPC don't use a phone line. All connections (TV, Phone, Broadband) come in on your cable line. Then they put a Modem that you attach your Phone to. Eircom has absolutely no effect on UPC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

that is not what I asked him nothingman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

dub45 wrote: »
    Interesting site for testing your connection

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Cheers handy site indeed

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    that is not what I asked him nothingman

I know, I was responding to Letal's post. I thought he might think that the broadband came in on his phoneline, as he was mentioning Eircom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

NothingMan wrote: »
    I know, I was responding to Letal's post. I thought he might think that the broadband came in on his phoneline, as he was mentioning Eircom.

Just to make it clear, if you want to keep your eircom number you may "forward in the exchange" to another number while you arrange porting(<explained) it. That can be any Galway or Dublin number local to you and can be an eircom number or some other carriers number , you may cancel the actual line as soon as the port is in place.

This immediately saves you €16 a month of the €26 a month line rental.

Once the eircom number has been ported to the likes of Blueface you may cancel the forward as there is nothing to forward. Typically Blueface give you 'another' Dublin number for free and you forward to that . It could be a UPC number not a Blueface number but UPC are crap at dealing with number porting and anyway you may decide to leave UPC at some stage too.

People ringing your old number get put straight through to the new one so you don't bother giving that out to anybody.

• Advertisement

Just to make it clear,

Not sure why you're quoting me in this Spongebob. I was trying to help Lethal, but think I got the wrong end of the stick, but you should probably direct your help to Lethal as you seem to know what he's talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

If our download speed is 30M..what upload speed web sites have ?
    ie,Boards.ie,how can we test what speed they have configured for upload so that we can take advantage of the 30-50-100M our dload speeds ?
    tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Just got my BB installed im well impressed downloading from rapidshare getting 4Mbs

674684591.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is your phone line forwarded ( by eircom) from say a Ballyfermot number to a Rathmines number ...do you still pay eircom €10 a month plus for this service ??
    NTL/UPC don't use a phone line. All connections (TV, Phone, Broadband) come in on your cable line. Then they put a Modem that you attach your Phone to. Eircom has absolutely no effect on UPC.
    Just to make it clear, if you want to keep your eircom number you may "forward in the exchange" to another number while you arrange porting(<explained) it. That can be any Galway or Dublin number local to you and can be an eircom number or some other carriers number , you may cancel the actual line as soon as the port is in place.

This immediately saves you €16 a month of the €26 a month line rental.

Once the eircom number has been ported to the likes of Blueface you may cancel the forward as there is nothing to forward. Typically Blueface give you 'another' Dublin number for free and you forward to that . It could be a UPC number not a Blueface number but UPC are crap at dealing with number porting and anyway you may decide to leave UPC at some stage too.

People ringing your old number get put straight through to the new one so you don't bother giving that out to anybody.
    Not sure why you're quoting me in this Spongebob. I was trying to help Lethal, but think I got the wrong end of the stick, but you should probably direct your help to Lethal as you seem to know what he's talking about.

Thanks lads, yeah, late night posts can be a little thick. Yeah, we could just cancel our Eircom BB, leave the phone with them(we have two lines and I think the billpayer will be more comfortable sticking with them for CS reasons) and then add a BB only NTL package.

Here's another thick question, this all goes via Co-ax? The aforementioned billpayer has also been too scaby to ever pay for anything more than the TV licence:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

Filled in form on UPC site tue night and got email this morning rebooted and now

674701939.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

shanemort wrote: »
    Filled in form on UPC site tue night and got email this morning rebooted and now

674701939.png

Nice Shane..especially the ping ...Anyone else see the ping Improve , post upgrade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Well I have to say I'm impressed too:
    674336813.png
    7212913.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24 niall0s

I'm getting great download speeds from Galway

674708620.png

Not as good from Dublin (where i am)

674710043.png

Thing is my upload is capped at 1.6Mb/s, i rang them and they just said there is nothing they can do about upload, it's very odd as they seem to have limited it on purpose but could not give me any reason...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

mixednuts wrote: »
    Nice Shane..especially the ping ...Anyone else see the ping Improve , post upgrade ?

Big improvement for me. Before the upgrade when I was playing modern warfare 2 online with a friend in Arizona I would have a 2 bar connection, post upgrade I have 3 bars :).

674712765.png
    7242800.png

Love you UPC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

can i use a belkin router i bought with UPC? Want to switch soon after hearing all you happy people with your fast BB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

miralize wrote: »
    can i use a belkin router i bought with UPC? Want to switch soon after hearing all you happy people with your fast BB

The 30Mb pacakge gives you a free router, somebody will know make/model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,633 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Another free upgrade from UPC - thanks very much. The best just got better.

674724126.png

Here's another thick question, this all goes via Co-ax?

Yep, Everything with UPC comes in through your Co-AX cable that use to be just for TV. That goes into their modem which then has a Line out for a phone and broadband.

As for make and model, they use to give a Scientific Atlanta Modem with a Netgear WGR wireless router. They still use these sometimes. I got one about 2 months ago.

But generally they use a Cisco all in one Modem/Router.

Filled in the form for my dad on tuesday, He was on the 10Mb pack so i hit the 10mb old speed, 15Mb new speed.

Today he got an email saying his speed has been upgaded to the 30Mb Fibre power pack.

The speedtest concurs:
    674750674.png

guess next bill will tell all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

just filled out the form. How long on average will i be waiting for it to be done ?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Got my 10Mbps upgraded to 15Mbps yesterday and speed immediately went up, but since then has been dropping the whole time average download 8.2 Mbps but more annoying average upload is now .45 Mbps which is much lower than I got before the upgrade. Will give it another day or so and see if it improves, but even at 4 am download speed was only 9 and upload .52

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Got my 10Mbps upgraded to 15Mbps yesterday and speed immediately went up, but since then has been dropping the whole time average download 8.2 Mbps but more annoying average upload is now .45 Mbps which is much lower than I got before the upgrade. Will give it another day or so and see if it improves, but even at 4 am download speed was only 9 and upload .52

Did you reset the modem?

It seems for a lot of people to drop real low and slowly build up over 2 days with repeated rebooting of modems every few hours. I'd give it the 2 days. Mine this morning was 22Mb out of 30 so hopefully this evening i'll be flying. I ordered on Tuesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Yeah have reset the modem a few times, but will give it time, just thought it was strange as when it rebooted first the speed was almost 100%, 14.25 down and 1.2 upload.

Yeah have reset the modem a few times, but will give it time, just thought it was strange as when it rebooted first the speed was almost 100%, 14.25 down and 1.2 upload.
    That is strange, mine started at full upload but 2Mb download and went up every few hours. I'd still wait the full 48hours then call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i replied to the upgrade email to say my speeds had actually gone down and they called me back today with an explanation and an offer to downgrade me again for free until the problems are resolved.

the explanation was (this is what i heard and it was a few hours ago, so my brain not be remembering 100%, so bear with me): that the 30mbps upgrade uses a different frequency band than the old 20mbps service and some areas have had some unexpected interference on the new frequency from other services meaning that people who were getting the getting full speeds on 20meg can actually end up with lower speeds on the 30meg upgrade.

he said he could downgrade me for free and i could try again in a month and see if it was any better when the problem had been resolved, or i could stick with it at the lower speeds and keep trying and sometime in the next few weeks i should get better speeds.

tbh, my speeds aren't noticeably slower than on the 20mbps service, they're just not any faster so i opted to stick with it, being as it was a free upgrade anyway, otherwise i'll end up with a new 12 month contract next month instead of this month which seemed silly, particularly if the problem is solved within the month anyway.

maybe it was just guff on his part to placate me, but since i didn't really lose anything i'm not too bothered and i'm going to hang in there and keep dreaming of extra-super-mega fast speeds in august to get me by for now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

vibe666 wrote: »
    i replied to the upgrade email to say my speeds had actually gone down and they called me back today with an explanation and an offer to downgrade me again for free until the problems are resolved.

the explanation was (this is what i heard and it was a few hours ago, so my brain not be remembering 100%, so bear with me): that the 30mbps upgrade uses a different frequency band than the old 20mbps service and some areas have had some unexpected interference on the new frequency from other services meaning that people who were getting the getting full speeds on 20meg can actually end up with lower speeds on the 30meg upgrade.

he said he could downgrade me for free and i could try again in a month and see if it was any better when the problem had been resolved, or i could stick with it at the lower speeds and keep trying and sometime in the next few weeks i should get better speeds.

tbh, my speeds aren't noticeably slower than on the 20mbps service, they're just not any faster so i opted to stick with it, being as it was a free upgrade anyway, otherwise i'll end up with a new 12 month contract next month instead of this month which seemed silly, particularly if the problem is solved within the month anyway.

maybe it was just guff on his part to placate me, but since i didn't really lose anything i'm not too bothered and i'm going to hang in there and keep dreaming of extra-super-mega fast speeds in august to get me by for now. :D

what general area are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Better explanation then i got, i got 22mb last night at 3:30 but now im only getting 5mb its pretty erratic. Im in Dub 11 btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Has anyone in Dublin 8 (specifically around Cork Street area) gotten the upgrade yet? If so, did it work ?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

Dub 24 here Upgrade went through and after a bunch of reboots and waiting my speed got worse..

Called them and the result is im getting a new cable modem on Monday.

Current one is the blue ntl 250 model, tech said it been tested and certified by them but some are giving problems..

Ill tell you how it goes after monday.

Misty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement