Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Registered online there now, says two working days.

Cant wait, I've noticed my speeds have gotten slightly better over the last few days but defo didnt get upgraded.

Running wireless through the house so hoping we get a nice boost.

Heres my results as of now, I'll update when I get the upgrade, really cant wait.

675052357.png
    7268296.png

Comments welcome
    Swords area, use mostly for downloading and gaming and couldnt be happier, so if it gets better, i'll be chuffed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JBUCD

I always get good speeds of upc. Just got my upgrade and am loving it. I remember paying 40euros a month for the 6meg and due to free upgrades I am getting more for my buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Just got my upgrade after one day.

675083492.png

Not much speed increase yet but thats probably due to peak time load.
    Malahide area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Ah well had to phone UPC today with regards my speeds. 30mb/3mb connection.

675084257.png
    675082568.png
    675083390.png

Spoke to a decent chap today from UPC, went through the usual reboot and done a dozen or so speedtests with speedtest.net, upc.nl/speedtest and 2 random large files from Heanet.
    Had pretty bad results from the test while speaking with him, ranging from 6 - 8.5mbps at 2.30pm in the afternoon in which i said that it wont get better till easily after 2am. He told me that those speeds were shocking and at most during peak hours to maybe expect a 5% - 15% decrease in speeds because of contention but in my case its really bad.

My case has been passed onto their top technical line department and for me to expect an engineer out tomorrow or definately friday. So hopefully they can sort out my line with an increase in bandwith or whatever is needed to give me reasonable speeds at all times of the day.

Just for someone here that might know what these figures mean from the system info page on the router, my readings are,

Recieve Power Level - 3.4 dBmV

Transmit Power Level -
    51.2 dBmV

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

3 to 5, no problems. Great job ntl....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Just rang them there to get the upgrade and the guy on the phone says there is no need to fill in the form it is an automatic upgrade.

I asked him when will mine be upgraded and he says "everyones BB will be upgraded before March"

March!!!!!

:confused::rolleyes:

vibe666 wrote: »
    i replied to the upgrade email to say my speeds had actually gone down and they called me back today with an explanation and an offer to downgrade me again for free until the problems are resolved.

the explanation was (this is what i heard and it was a few hours ago, so my brain not be remembering 100%, so bear with me): that the 30mbps upgrade uses a different frequency band than the old 20mbps service and some areas have had some unexpected interference on the new frequency from other services meaning that people who were getting the getting full speeds on 20meg can actually end up with lower speeds on the 30meg upgrade.

he said he could downgrade me for free and i could try again in a month and see if it was any better when the problem had been resolved, or i could stick with it at the lower speeds and keep trying and sometime in the next few weeks i should get better speeds.

tbh, my speeds aren't noticeably slower than on the 20mbps service, they're just not any faster so i opted to stick with it, being as it was a free upgrade anyway, otherwise i'll end up with a new 12 month contract next month instead of this month which seemed silly, particularly if the problem is solved within the month anyway.

maybe it was just guff on his part to placate me, but since i didn't really lose anything i'm not too bothered and i'm going to hang in there and keep dreaming of extra-super-mega fast speeds in august to get me by for now. :D

I got upgraded and am still on the ole 426MHz Freq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

John2009 wrote: »

Just for someone here that might know what these figures mean from the system info page on the router, my readings are,

Recieve Power Level - 3.4 dBmV

Transmit Power Level - 51.2 dBmV

Dunno if this is still valid?
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html

Let us know if an engineer does call and fix it. Because NTL were bad at that, be good if UPC have improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I got upgraded to 15Mb yesterday, out in D15. This is what I am getting this evening :(

675161992.png

I thought it might just be load on the Dublin test server, so I tried London.

675167443.png

446ms ping, right I am off for a game of CoD:MW2 while the going is good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

my speeds are still getting lower

675166541.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Me too, was up at 22Mb this morning and thought it was gonna get to where it should be. Now I have this.

675169995.png
    7278270.png

Was getting my full 10Mb and an A+ before my "Upgrade".

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

Well i was upgraded today for free from 20mb to 30 mb..just checking now and here are the results.
    675177397.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

GHOST MGG2 wrote: »
    Well i was upgraded today for free from 20mb to 30 mb..just checking now and here are the results.
    675177397.png

Seems alot of us having trouble hopefully upc realise the fault and fix it soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Having trouble also....

My old UPC 10mb connection never did hit the high notes , and line quality was sh*t as I was always getting good then v.bad pings and jitter .
    Have had 3 Tech callouts , still crap & I cant get the phone in my area either ??? ..I think because they now the line (broadband) quality is crap and the VOIP would show it up .

Now my new 15mb connection has the same disease ...

675203121.png

Just called them and they will call back in the morning to arrange Taech call out, No.4

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

HERE Try UPC own speedtest , they cany deny that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭jos22

still on 20mb line here don't want to enter a new contract

speed tonight only

675218832.png

50 % less than it should be

worse again when test with the dublin server
    675222931.png

another server
    675224741.png

and worse again
    675226747.png

this off a wired connection

not upgrading to 30mb when they fail to deliver 20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

cisk wrote: »
    I got upgraded and am still on the ole 426MHz Freq.

Yeah? Your local freq your saying, what freq is the line from the local UBR to their headend???? You wont know that at all. It woulnt make sense to change everones local freq for a national package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

hightower1 wrote: »
    Yeah? Your local freq your saying, what freq is the line from the local UBR to their headend???? You wont know that at all. It woulnt make sense to change everones local freq for a national package.

Is the cable to headend from the local node not fibre optic?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

675235050.png

Download hasn't improved but I'm using wireless so it may be that. Still well pleased with it.

30mb broadband? Brilliant! I'm still with Eircom 7mb but Chorus is available in my area. I have one crucial bugbear though....they throttle torrents don't they?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

30mb broadband? Brilliant! I'm still with Eircom 7mb but Chorus is available in my area. I have one crucial bugbear though....they throttle torrents don't they?
    Not that I've heard of. Don't use torrents myself though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

never have problems with torrents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If your still using torrents you deserve to be throttled...never had a spic of trouble with rapidshare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

675263160.png

thats the 20 Mbs package in D8. Think I won't be signing any new contracts until they can at least give me half what what I'm already paying for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

TheDoc wrote: »
    If your still using torrents you deserve to be throttled...never had a spic of trouble with rapidshare

Rapidshare is for n00bs , Newsgroups are were its at ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

I've found no problems after setting encryption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Torrents doesn't seem to be throttled for me at night, after midnight.
    I think they throttle all heavy downloading during peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Tony wrote: »
    Is the cable to headend from the local node not fibre optic?
    It is indeed Tony.

I'm getting the speeds below and pretty much the same from usenet.
    Heanet seems to be capping my speed around 15Mb anyone else notice this?.

675270689.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,633 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Rapidshare is for n00bs , Newsgroups are were its at ;-)

+1

Was getting consistent 2.3-2.5MB/s under 20Mbps so with 30Mbps that should be a 750MB film linux distro in just over 3 minutes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

DingDong wrote: »
    It is indeed Tony.

Thanks, I was wondering why this was being mentioned by hightower?
    hightower1 wrote: »
    Yeah? Your local freq your saying, what freq is the line from the local UBR to their headend????

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Another +1 for newsgroups + UPC..

Although.. since I recieved the 'upgrade' my line has been painfully painfully slow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement