Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

unkel wrote: »
    +1

Was getting consistent 2.3-2.5MB/s under 20Mbps so with 30Mbps that should be a 750MB film linux distro in just over 3 minutes :D

Ugh! Standard definition, I think I'm gonna be sick. You need to start getting your hands on high def ...ehh...... linux distros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Whenever I try the speedtest since my upgrade its coming up as digiweb for the provider - anything to be concerned about?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Whenever I try the speedtest since my upgrade its coming up as digiweb for the provider - anything to be concerned about?
    That's the provider of the speedtest server, it has nothing to do with your internet connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

what general area are you in?
    Johnstown in Navan.

as long as i can still get online and do what i want to do i can hang on for a few weeks whilst they sort it out, it's not preventing me from doing anything really, it's not even noticeably slower as far as i can tell.

i know they are aware of the issue (even if not all of them are, from what I've read here so far ;)) and it's being worked on, i'll make do. :)

as for the "torrents v's rapidshare v's newsgroups" thing, the whole point of downloading movies (ahem) linux distro's etc. is that they're free. paying extra for a 'premium' service to download something that's free goes against the whole "freetard" ethos. :D

i've happily and easily downloaded within 5-50gb of the monthly FUP every single month for the last 14 months that I've had my 20mbps connection and the overwhelming majority has been torrents (of linux distro's, obviously:D) so there isn't anyone here who's downloading much more than me, even if they wanted to, so why on earth would I pay extra? :confused:

if i paid for rapidshare or usenet to download my ISO's faster, all that would mean was that I'd be paying to have my connection sit idle for longer. doesn't make any sense to me at all.

as for the throttling of torrents, from what i understand, yes, at certain (peak) times in over-contended areas they have been known to throttle torrents, but it's not that severe and it's not 24/7, so i don't mind if it allows my neighbours to use the web a little fasyter in the evenings. :)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Lads, with regards to all these speed tests been carried out on sites like speedtest.net, these are not true reflections of actual downloads speeds. The proper way is to download a file from somewhere like heanet and check your transfer rate.

Try downloading this file for a few mins and see what speeds your are getting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

last time i tested heanet, it took downloading 3 ISO's using downthemall in firefox to max out my connection. seems like heanet themselves might be limiting individual downloads somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

quick question I hope

How does one access the UPC Cisco Modem menus?

I just want to check signal quality and things like that.

Thanks

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Lads, with regards to all these speed tests been carried out on sites like speedtest.net, these are not true reflections of actual downloads speeds. The proper way is to download a file from somewhere like heanet and check your transfer rate.

Only getting 2.3MBps downloading that so that's around 20Mbps. Might try using a wired connection later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

quick question I hope

How does one access the UPC Cisco Modem menus?

I just want to check signal quality and things like that.

Thanks

There is the manual.

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/4755_UPC_WiFi_Brochure.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

Hit a max of 3.0 MB/sec with 180KB/s on torrents.

• Advertisement

BOZG wrote: »
    Hit a max of 3.0 MB/sec with 180KB/s on torrents.

30mb connection is 30Mb notice the small b you hit 30MB that is close enough to full speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Only getting 2.3MBps downloading that so that's around 20Mbps. Might try using a wired connection later.

I'm getting around 1.0mbs so happy enough seeing as im on 10 meg connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Heres my result from the Heanet file Aquos76 just posted, it was pretty erratic with minimum speed of roughly 700KB/s to maximum of 1.2MB/s on a 30MB connection "wireless"

DownloadSpeedResult.png

Jaysus im getting similar on 10meg

John2009 wrote: »
    Heres my result from the Heanet file Aquos76 just posted, it was pretty erratic with minimum speed of roughly 700KB/s to maximum of 1.2MB/s on a 30MB connection "wireless"

DownloadSpeedResult.png

Two things your using wireless and the other is the connection is up to 30mb think of the cable as a water pipe when everyone has their taps switched on the pressure drops.

UPC will adding on more bandwidth for the 100meg upgrades coming.
    Your slowest reading there was about 7meg.
    Your at peak time and the broadband upgrades are a work in progress.
    Later this year UPC will be using a different system for broadband.

In the meantime at peak times 7 to 12meg is fine for 90% of your needs and if your download off peak you get the full speed.

Ya its crazy alrite but i'm sure it'll be resolved by UPC, i have an engineer either tomorrow or friday to check out the line on their end to improve the speeds hopefully.

The main thing is that i have a solid connection with average download speeds of about 12meg and that UPC get to up the power for my line soon.

@ Ranicand,

Ah ya its grand for now as i said in my last post at least i have a solid connection so far thank god :)

I cant complain about upc since i got them on my 10 meg the worst i get

is 500kbs not a lot wrong with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That heanet file is downloading for me at 3mb/sec

Well pleased

TheDoc wrote: »
    That heanet file is downloading for me at 3mb/sec

Well pleased

Do you mean 3MB/sec ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

DingDong wrote: »
    It is indeed Tony.

I'm getting the speeds below and pretty much the same from usenet.
    Heanet seems to be capping my speed around 15Mb anyone else notice this?.

675270689.png

Can you explain so as to why he is on the same freq as before the change over?
    UPC staff are saying its because of some frq change the 30mbps uses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I got this:

675457403.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

675488278.png

Thats mine on the 3MB

Waiting on the 5MB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

675729320.png

Wired to the router.

Downloaded that ISO above, was getting 3.1mbs in Safari

And Wireless, about 10 metres from the router.

675737451.png

Any reason why the upload speeds would be almost identical but there's such a difference in the download speeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Getting average 3130 kb/sec on this file on a 30 meg connection.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ranicand wrote: »
    Do you mean 3MB/sec ?

yes

20mb package, wirlessly connected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lantern

Just had a UPC tech lad drop by.

Wired:

675895045.png

3.3 MB/s on that file above.

Wireless:

675888162.png

2.6 MB/s on the same file.

Before the upgrade, we had 19 Mb/s out of 20 the majority of the time (wireless), so I'm just wondering why we're only getting 22/30 when it's wireless now. He said that it was a problem with the computer I was using (a Macbook Pro... don't know if that makes a difference or not), and that the computer itself was the bottleneck. However, he mentioned that there was some kind of adaptor I could get that would improve the wireless speeds. He was being pretty vague about it though... so do any of you know what he meant?

Other info: Using the Cisco router. Also have an Apple Airport base station tucked away, just in case hooking that up to the Cisco router would improve matters?

Any help would be great. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Originally Posted by Aquos76 View Post

getting an average of 1.75MB/s

on the 15mb connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Ranicand wrote: »
    Do you mean 3MB/sec ?

Come on now, seriously you knew what he meant. There's no need to be a smart arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Very happy with the new upgrade.

675956412.png

7341395.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement