Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Finally got my upgrade filled out the form 2 days ago so they are pretty spot on with that, as regards the wireless router do they send it out now that you have signed up or do you have to ring up about it?

Anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Wheres the form for filling out to get the upgrade? Not searching through 30 pages for it and can't see it on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Wheres the form for filling out to get the upgrade? Not searching through 30 pages for it and can't see it on the website.

Its well hidden ..:rolleyes:

http://www.upc.ie/about_us/Price_Changes/Speed_Changes/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

GigaByte wrote: »
    Come on now, seriously you knew what he meant. There's no need to be a smart arse.

Just having a bit of fun.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Ok just did some testing there. On 30Mb connection.

Plugged directly into Modem (Scientific Atlanta):

676111034.png

Using Router (Netgear WGR)
    676098963.png

Wired or wirelss.

So the Netgear is definitely a bottleneck for my broadband, was fine for 10Mb but can't handle much more never mind 30Mb.

So can I ask people getting full speeds on wireless are you using the Scientific Atlanta/Netgear solution or Cisco all in one Modem/router?

I only got it installed in November and if the wireless router can't handle the 30Mb broadband then not much use to me. If the Cisco is better I may ask for a swap but if not can anyone recomment a good G/N Wireless router that will be forward compatible for the 100Mb coming later this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Well I have the cisco all in one (but I only will ever have it wired) I'm looking for the SA router instead....

So if you decide you want the cisco, PM me, we might swap.

Cant tell you if the wireless connection works well at 30meg, as I say, this is a strictly wired only room i'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Ya'll need N routers/adapters if your hoping to get 30megs on wireless, G maxes at 24megs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Ya'll need N routers/adapters if your hoping to get 30megs on wireless, G maxes at 24megs.

And that 24megs is the max if everything is totally perfect in reality you will get nothing like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

No G is up to 54Mbs

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    No G is up to 54Mbs

I checked this out and aparently it lists it's "throughput" as 54Mbps but actual speeds would be much lower. The 54Mbps include a lot of other functions it's constantly doing too. I loved the router with my 10Mb connection but it's not cutting it with these high speeds.

I just mailed NTL asking if they plan to address this issue and I will let you know what I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

G is rated at 54mbps which you won't get in reality, actual max speed (throughput) is 24megs which I have tested myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

Just ordered upgrade to 30 from 20 about 4 hours ago and now getting these speeds:

676166663.png

Connection was perfect pre upgrade request :mad:

timmy69 wrote: »
    Just ordered upgrade to 30 from 20 about 4 hours ago and now getting these speeds:

676166663.png

Connection was perfect pre upgrade request :mad:

That's normal. Reboot your modem and you'll notice your upload is perfect but your download may take a day to reach full speed. Only when wired to the modem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

Speeds are back to the normal 20 mb and apparently i cannot get the 10 mb speed increase in my area :mad:, any one else experience this?

676197672.png

On my previous 10mb connection I would never get near the 10mb limit , usually around 6mb and it was maxed out , but my upload was always consistence usually around the .8 mark.

Since my 15mb upgrade , i am still not getting near the max 15mb (no chance there ) but my upload has gone to the sh*ts , can anyone please explain or any suggestions on what the hell is going on ?
    I have had 3 Tech call outs in 8 months , another next week ...still no luck

Here is what i mean ....

676219754.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Since my upgrade to 15mb, not bad :)

676241012.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

My new 15Mbps is still much worse than my 10Mbps was. Going to have to call them tomorrow

676260548.png

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    My new 15Mbps is still much worse than my 10Mbps was. Going to have to call them tomorrow

676260548.png

+1
    let me know how you get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Slow enough again tonight

676297570.png
    DownloadResult.png

Had a guy from UPC ring me today from their Dublin office, had a long chat with him and he was telling me that from their end my line is perfect but they have some sort of fault in some areas with the fibre power upgrade and he has recieved numerous calls from other customers and it will take a few days to sort out and i'll have full speeds 24/7.
    He told me that i have a few heavy users in my area and they could be affecting my speeds but assured me that by next week my speeds will be sorted

John2009 wrote: »
    Slow enough again tonight

676297570.png
    DownloadResult.png

Had a guy from UPC ring me today from their Dublin office, had a long chat with him and he was telling me that from their end my line is perfect but they have some sort of fault in some areas with the fibre power upgrade and he has recieved numerous calls from other customers and it will take a few days to sort out and i'll have full speeds 24/7.
    He told me that i have a few heavy users in my area and they could be affecting my speeds but assured me that by next week my speeds will be sorted

don't hold your breath !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

mixednuts wrote: »
    don't hold your breath !

Ah the guy was sound, and he seemed like he really knew his stuff about broadband and networking etc etc.

was bloody talking to me for nearly 50mins and said something that there could be some sort of batch file fault or another, could have been bluffing but i found him to be believable :o.

My speeds from tonite are pretty bad now to be honest, 3/4 drop off in speed is abit much.

Fair enough , makes a pleasent change from the other Techs who just tell you " restart the modem".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just to jump on the speedtst bandwagon....I'm in Malahide:

676428990.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Well I have the cisco all in one (but I only will ever have it wired) I'm looking for the SA router instead....

So if you decide you want the cisco, PM me, we might swap.
    sorry to burst your bubble, but no you won't, neither one will work if you do that.

each modem is tied via its individual hardware ID to your line, you can't just swap modems round like you can with DSL, a cable modem has to be installed by an engineer and when he puts it in, he he will call HQ and get that individual modem assigned to your line.

if you want/need to change it (even if it's faulty and it's a like for like swap) you still need an engineer out to do the work.

also, 54mbps wireless is NOT actually 54mbps.

54mbps is a theoretical maximum burst speed, not an indication of real world sustained data transmission rate in perfect conditions.

obviously when I say 'perfect', we're talking about in a room with no other radio signals for a hundred miles with the perfect atmospheric conditions an inch from your router

the absolute best sustained wireless data transmission rate you can hope to get out of a standard 54mbps wireless connection (even if it tells you it's connected at 54mbps on your PC) is about 30-35mbps.

once you add in radio interference from other 2.4ghz devices like the bluetooth on your mobile phone, dect cordless home phones, video senders, baby monitors, car alarms, video game controllers, wireless keyboards and mice, microwaves (yes, also giving off 2.4ghz waves) and probably a dozen other things i can't think of, you'll be lucky to get anywhere near even that.

add into the mix a couple of dozen neighbours with wifi, not just the ones you can see when you scan for wifi, but all the ones outside of that that can still affect your connection from quite a distance further than you could detect them (albeit to a lesser extent), poorly written drivers and firmware on your router and/or wifi card and you'll see why you're lucky to even get 20mbps out of it and that wireless N, 5ghz wireless (or both) or wired ethernet might be a good idea. :)

obviously, plenty of wifi manufacturers are doing their oen flavour of 'enhanced' 802.11g wireless which they call fancy names like 'rangemax' or 'speedbooster' which will push that speed up somewhat, but you're still fighting a losing battle.

the best thing to do would be to decide if you need your full speed out of the wireless part of your connection or not, and if you do then look into getting an 802.11n wireless router and wifi card or dongle for your PC.

personally, i'm waiting for a dual band 2.4 & 5ghz 802.11g & 802.11n router with gigabit ethernet onboard and plenty of grunt, but i didn't find the perfect one yet, so don't ask me to recommend one just now, till i've found it myself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

vibe666 wrote: »
    personally, i'm waiting for a dual band 2.4 & 5ghz 802.11g & 802.11n router with gigabit ethernet onboard and plenty of grunt, but i didn't find the perfect one yet, so don't ask me to recommend one just now, till i've found it myself. :)

Have you looked in to Sonicwall range !?
    I use myself a tz190w and i consider to be the best wifi routers on the market.

http://www.sonicwall.com/us/products/13281.html

Rgds.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

ref FUP..

Rang them today about there 250gb cap, and asked if it was raised....

No was the answer... still 250gb...

they offered me the extreme package ..80euro ... no limits or caps...

Funny coz thats what the 30mb package has ....no download limits....

Seems bizarre that they can offer a super fast speed of 30mb, and say NO download limits....as long as u stay under 250gb!!!

i will stick with Magnet for the time being...
    Who really have NO DOWNLOAD LIMITS!!!

CRAMP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

cramp wrote: »
    ref FUP..

Rang them today about there 250gb cap, and asked if it was raised....

No was the answer... still 250gb...

they offered me the extreme package ..80euro ... no limits or caps...

Funny coz thats what the 30mb package has ....no download limits....

Seems bizarre that they can offer a super fast speed of 30mb, and say NO download limits....as long as u stay under 250gb!!!

i will stick with Magnet for the time being...
    Who really have NO DOWNLOAD LIMITS!!!

CRAMP

Ive downloaded over 1Tb in a month with them and never got a letter tbh, and on the plus side look at my connection at 4:40 in the morning :eek: wish it could be like this in the day haha.

676584161.png

And on the magnet speedtest Last Result:
    Download Speed: 25841 kbps (3230.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 2846 kbps (355.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

My experience: got the upgrade confirmation email after about 5 hours.

Reboot modem and can see I'm on the 30/3 config, but speeds around 18/3 (this was 8pm last night).

Steady improvement overnight, now between 5 streams of rapidshare and 2 of Heanet I can max it at 29ish.

Sustained on 5 streams rapidshare it's around 21 average... could be better, but I won't complain.

For me the best part of this upgrade is much improved ping times... While lowest pings to Irish servers (eircom.net, rte.ie) have come down from 8ms to 6ms, jitter was about 20/30ms. Now, jitter is 5ms or less resulting in much more stable online gaming... This is why xboxes are being chosen as hosts I think. That and the increased upload.

Anyway, for a free upgrade it's fine by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

vibe666 wrote: »

also, 54mbps wireless is NOT actually 54mbps.

54mbps is a theoretical maximum burst speed, not an indication of real world sustained data transmission rate in perfect conditions.

obviously when I say 'perfect', we're talking about in a room with no other radio signals for a hundred miles with the perfect atmospheric conditions an inch from your router

the absolute best sustained wireless data transmission rate you can hope to get out of a standard 54mbps wireless connection (even if it tells you it's connected at 54mbps on your PC) is about 30-35mbps.
    To clarify further 54mbps is upload + download, so the theoretical maximum is 27mbps which is around 3 megabytes per second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well I just got confirmation about the upgrade, however when I plugged the cable directly into the laptop to check, it was coming in at 19mb/s.

This is my result from the computer

676937479.png

So essentially nothing has changed.

I'll give it till Monday then give them a call about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement