Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well I just got confirmation about the upgrade, however when I plugged the cable directly into the laptop to check, it was coming in at 19mb/s.

This is my result from the computer

676937479.png

So essentially nothing has changed.

I'll give it till Monday then give them a call about it.
    Restart your modem and try again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

mixednuts wrote: »
    Restart your modem and try again

How many times do I need to restart :P

Should the line directly plugged in come in at around 30mb?

And do I turn of the modem then turn it back on, or restart?

Edit: Obviously first thing i did when i got the confirmation email was turn off the modem, wait 30 seconds, then turn it on

• Registered Users Posts: 24 niall0s

vibe666 wrote: »
    personally, i'm waiting for a dual band 2.4 & 5ghz 802.11g & 802.11n router with gigabit ethernet onboard and plenty of grunt, but i didn't find the perfect one yet, so don't ask me to recommend one just now, till i've found it myself. :)
    rolion wrote: »
    Have you looked in to Sonicwall range !?
    I use myself a tz190w and i consider to be the best wifi routers on the market.

http://www.sonicwall.com/us/products/13281.html

Rgds.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189

The sonicwall does not rank well on that list for throughput, 25 Mb is well below the 120Mb UPC will be offering so not future proof imho.

expensive but nothing can beat this in terms of throughput http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=494130 it's not dual band tho and has other issues... there are some great routers on the above list tho, i'm sure someone could recommend the best from that.

personally i'm liking the look of the netgear wndr3700 http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30925-start-your-buying-netgear-wndr3700-reviewed http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=492607

I'm trying to get the new firmware for the netgear wnr2000 and it keeps saying " failed to upgrade" as in it cant get in touch with the server to download the firmware.

When you log onto the netgear site, the link to the download file is corrupt/missing

pain in the ****ing tits

EDIT**

Got it, wouldnt open through chrome, but got it through fail explorer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The 30Mb pacakge gives you a free router, somebody will know make/model.
    Not exactly what I asked but thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

677054097.png

That's what I'm getting at the moment...

Any idea how I can get it closer to what it should be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

keane2097 wrote: »
    677054097.png

That's what I'm getting at the moment...

Any idea how I can get it closer to what it should be?

Is it wireless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It is yeah...

I suppose I should try hooking it up directly...

Is this the best I can hope for wirelessly?

It is yeah...

Your upload speed is quality.

I was getting around 10-15 wirelessly, its not all doom and gloom mate. some people have a tendancy to completely exxagerate "how poor wireless is". But the simple fact is there isnt alot of options to run wired for most people.

As a matter of interest, how would I go about putting in a wired option, when upc informed me they could put a box in my room, but charge me an extra €15 euro a month to have it.... ( essentially their multiroom)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I was getting around 10-15 wirelessly, its not all doom and gloom mate. some people have a tendancy to completely exxagerate "how poor wireless is". But the simple fact is there isnt alot of options to run wired for most people.

As a matter of interest, how would I go about putting in a wired option, when upc informed me they could put a box in my room, but charge me an extra €15 euro a month to have it.... ( essentially their multiroom)

They can put the modem in any room of the house but only in one room. Just do what I do and get a powerline ethernet kit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

It is yeah...

It seems to be. I get full speed download only if i'm plugged directly into the modem. Wireless is about the same as yourself.
    I emailed UPC asking if they plan to roll out n type routers to handle the increasing speeds. Holland use the Netgear n router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

My speed has truly died a death since I 'upgraded'. Completely regret it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Wireless N or Homeplugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Ive downloaded over 1Tb in a month with them and never got a letter tbh, and on the plus side look at my connection at 4:40 in the morning :eek: wish it could be like this in the day haha.

You are lucky but I am not sure how long your luck will last if you keep downloading over 1TB. You may see a letter coming that you have been switched to extreme package.

I am still wondering tough what you download to hit 1TB in a month :eek:

Do you just hit the download button wherever you see a download link?? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Hey guys is there any chance that maybe 2 or 3 of you could post your stats from this page on your router homepage if you have the Cisco EPC2425 and a quick speedtest result if you dont mind, thanks.

Info.png

My speeds are atrocious now, i'm lucky if i can hit 5mb wired to the router.
    The recieve power level was always around 3.0 to 3.2 dBmV since i got connected and i was still having problems with my speeds and now its at 4.1 to 4.3 dBmV and its totally gone to the dogs.
    I'm seriously thinking of reconnecting to the family Eircon 7mb line and powering off the UPC gear until its fixed because even loading pages has become sh?te :mad:

Just a quick result from the family Eircon line of 7mb down/384KBs up, i ran it wireless maybe 15 feet from the modem

677362023.png

UPC wired

677367744.png

O.K...I have had enough !

My so called 15mb down and 1.5 mb up is now running @ 4mb down and 256kb up :mad:

On line gaming is suffering .

Can somebody please explain (or suggest)what is going on ? There seems to a few of us seeing Sh*t speeds and broadband quality , is it :
    contention ?
    UPC cock up since "fibre power" upgrades

UPC tell me their tests show no problems :rolleyes:
    My speedtests are always wired tests.

Any Techies out there any suggestions , what u thinks happening ?

Theres 2 of us there mate, as you can see from my results above pretty disasterious indeed.

Mixednuts is there any chance you could see what your dBmV levels are in the router homepage under system?

• Advertisement

John,
    I can't , I have the UPC Atlantic scientific modem and Netgear router.
    Is there any info from these that would help ?

M

I wouldnt say so, cheers anyway mate. Hopefully someone that has the Cisco all in 1 will post some info later because i kinda think that the higher my recieve power level goes the worse my speed gets.

Maybe one of the more knowledgable people here could dismiss this for me even tho this morning my reading was at 3.2 dBmV and i hit 28.77mb.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I have the all in one modem/router jobey. My recieve is 20.8 dBmV and my transmit is 40.2 dBmV. Both my upload and download have been good lately.

Cheers for that AlmightyCushion, is the recieve power level on my router an actually indicator of my download speed capabilities?

John2009 wrote: »
    Cheers for that AlmightyCushion, is the recieve power level on my router an actually indicator of my download speed capabilities?

Unfortunately I have no idea what any of those figures mean.

No panic, i'll give them a few days anyway to sort it out and if Cork City gets snowed in tomorrow it'll be probably be next week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ryball

John2009 wrote: »
    UPC wired

677367744.png

@John2009 you are so lucky
    677418666.png

Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb lol

Join the club .
    UPC must know by now that somethings not right .
    Dud u call them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ryball

I did. I was told that it will take 2-3 weeks to sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It baffles me how companies cannot get the launch of such a high profile product at least 'fairly' right (and UPC are not the only guilty ones here obviously) but it does seem that upgrading to a new high profile product which actually worsens the existing performance for a lot of people to be pretty careless to say the least.

As anyone any actual (as distince from speculative) idea of how much testing they do on these products before launch? Or do they use the early adapters as guinea pigs?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement