Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

@John2009

Hope the attachment helps. Without rubbing it in, I'm getting very good speeds since the update. Hope you get sorted.

674336813.png
    7212913.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

dub45 wrote: »
    It baffles me how companies cannot get the launch of such a high profile product at least 'fairly' right (and UPC are not the only guilty ones here obviously) but it does seem that upgrading to a new high profile product which actually worsens the existing performance for a lot of people to be pretty careless to say the least.

As anyone any actual (as distince from speculative) idea of how much testing they do on these products before launch? Or do they use the early adapters as guinea pigs?

Given that its a "free" upgrade on a voluntary basis with the rest of us following around March, that gives them 2-3 solid months of "testing". I just hope they use that time to iron out the kinks rather than resting on laurels that they haven't earned yet.
    That said, they shouldn't have tied the volunteers to 12 month contracts if they knew this was likely to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

My 30Mb is not running well at all here in Lucan! :(

677939360.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

On the phone to UPC at the moment re slow speeds since upgrade, will let you know what happens.

The guy in Tech Support just told me they are aware of the issue as a lot of customers are calling with the same problem of reduced speeds since the upgrade. He has passed my details on to the team investigating it and reckons as it is Sunday, they won't be in touch with me until tomorrow or Tuesday. Also said no need to call an engineer out as it is an external problem. So looks like they are getting a lot of calls re this. But have to say was impressed with the support had always heard bad things about delays etc. Phone was answered immediately and the lady asked me what the problem was, when I told her, she said she would have to pass on the call to another section. I thought oh no 40 minutes on hold etc, but again was only on hold for less than a minute. Looks like Sunday may be a good day to call :)

He also said that this is the highest prioity for them at the moment and reckons it should be sorted in the next day or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

The same was said to me Tony, that it would be 2-3 days and it'll be sorted.
    So fingers crossed its something small and handy to fix.

John2009 wrote: »
    The same was said to me Tony, that it would be 2-3 days and it'll be sorted.
    So fingers crossed its something small and handy to fix.

Hope so, before the upgrade on 10Mbps line I was averaging 8.5 to 9.5 download and 0.65 to 0.8 upload, but since the upgrade average 3.5 to 4.5 download and 0.3 to 0.5 upload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

I just read about this speed upgrade now. I've just finished a my 12 month contract with UPC for the 20mb package and don't feel like tieing myself down to another 12 months by registering.

When they roll this out for everyone, they can't force another 12 month contract right?

Elessar wrote: »
    I just read about this speed upgrade now. I've just finished a my 12 month contract with UPC for the 20mb package and don't feel like tieing myself down to another 12 months by registering.

When they roll this out for everyone, they can't force another 12 month contract right?

If you want the upgrade done now you have to sign for another 12 months, however if you wait you will be upgraded automatically around end of March no new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jodaw

Just had UPC Fibrepower 30mb Installed today. Here are my results. Very happy at the moment. Maybe i will just need to fix the packet loss issue. But overall very happy so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

jodaw wrote: »
    Just had UPC Fibrepower 30mb Installed today. Here are my results. Very happy at the moment. Maybe i will just need to fix the packet loss issue. But overall very happy so far.

As mentioned in a previous post in this thread, turn off the firewall in your router, it should sort out your packet loss in your ping test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Got a message from UPC on the 5th advising I had been upgraded from 20mb to 30mb. The connection is worse than it was with the 20mb. With the 20mb I would get speeds of 18-19mb or thereabouts. With the change over I'm getting a lot less than the slowest connection day with the 20mb connection.
    I am getting the full 3mb upload speeds which is double what I was getting on the 20mb connection.

I rang UPC tech support and they advised that there is an issue with the 30mb upgrades, users are getting the uploads speeds but the download speeds are not what they should be. They are investigating the issue and will advise account holders when the issue is resolved. They also offered to downgrade me back to the 20mb line if I wanted until the issue is resolved.

679247054.png

679274313.png
    7608577.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

This seems to be an issue across the board, I find it strange they have not resolved it yet.

DK32 wrote: »

I rang UPC tech support and they advised that there is an issue with the 30mb upgrades, users are getting the uploads speeds but the download speeds are not what they should be. They are investigating the issue and will advise account holders when the

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

NothingMan wrote: »
    Ok just did some testing there. On 30Mb connection.

Plugged directly into Modem (Scientific Atlanta):

676111034.png

Using Router (Netgear WGR)
    676098963.png

Wired or wirelss.

So the Netgear is definitely a bottleneck for my broadband, was fine for 10Mb but can't handle much more never mind 30Mb.

So can I ask people getting full speeds on wireless are you using the Scientific Atlanta/Netgear solution or Cisco all in one Modem/router?

I only got it installed in November and if the wireless router can't handle the 30Mb broadband then not much use to me. If the Cisco is better I may ask for a swap but if not can anyone recomment a good G/N Wireless router that will be forward compatible for the 100Mb coming later this year?

Got a reply from Netgear re: Netgear router being the bottleneck. They just told me to call either Netgear or their premium rate support line. I know from reviews that the router is fine and is never goin to handle the speeds we have now. Will call Netgear anyway but am not goin to let it go until I have my proper speeds wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Ref: 723110

Dear Bryan Smyth,

Thank you for your email. Please note that Existing customer's will be automatically migrated to New Speeds from 4th March. In the interim, customers can proactively opt-in to the New Fibre Power Broadband speeds in advance of automatic migration via the website form. www.upc.ie/fasterbroadband.

As you are currently subscribed to 10 Mb speed, So you will be automatically.changed to 15Mb speed from 4th March 2010. For details on all of Chorus ntl products and prices please visit www.upc.ie

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to email us on customer.support@upc.ie

Kind regards,
    Jomon

Chorus ntl Customer Support Team

Sounds fair enough to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ger123

My UPC 20mb has been maxing out at 1.86mbs the last few days, So anyone getting more then 10mbs, count yourselfs lucky

These bloody slow speeds are so frustrating :mad:, i have a file on the go here on rapidshare premium and my speeds are unreal, constantly up and down between 70KB/s and 460KB/s :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jodaw

Just an update on the speeds of a recent install of Fiberpower 30 (Cisco Router)
    679879511.png

And the new Pingtest with the router firewall disabled

7655498.png

Have to be happy with that considering the problems some are having

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kudzRS

bryaner wrote: »
    Ref: 723110

Dear Bryan Smyth,

Thank you for your email. Please note that Existing customer's will be automatically migrated to New Speeds from 4th March. In the interim, customers can proactively opt-in to the New Fibre Power Broadband speeds in advance of automatic migration via the website form.
    Sounds fair enough to me

according to the website you have to sign into a new 12 month contract for the upgraded speed
    Does this mean we will be automatically upgraded into a new 12 month contract without our consent?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

kudzRS wrote: »
    according to the website you have to sign into a new 12 month contract for the upgraded speed
    Does this mean we will be automatically upgraded into a new 12 month contract without our consent?

No in march you will not be tied into another 12 month contract, you could nearly say this is your reward for waiting 3 months for your upgrade
    you're only tied in if you ring up today and say you want the new speeds

on another note, does anyone know if one was to ask for the upgrade now.. the 12 month contract they're on can they downgrade from it in months to come?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

On the 30n meg and my BB went bonkers yesterday was getting slower and slower from about 8 - 10 then the modem reset itself and was back upto 28meg.

They must have been working on it.

Modem went mad here for a bit as well and now speeds are getting back to close to what they should be thank God. Since the upgrade (10-15) was down to 3-5 Mbps download and .3-.4Mbps upload but now getting the speeds below. UPC still haven't called but reckon they will call soon and say they have it sorted :)

680085132.png

Had a call from UPC tech support and they found that i have a very poor signal coming through my line and that they have appointed an engineer to call to my home this coming monday.

What kind of work would they do to up the signal coming through my line and once its done will i start getting my full speeds always and most important will it be then reliable? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

jodaw wrote: »
    Just an update on the speeds of a recent install of Fiberpower 30 (Cisco Router)
    679879511.png

And the new Pingtest with the router firewall disabled

7655498.png

Have to be happy with that considering the problems some are having

Went from an F to A by turning the cisco firewall off. I have another router between my pcs and the cisco router so I have a firewall on that instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Guys some of the speeds you are posting here are unreal. I am thinking about ordering all 3 services off them, tv, phone and 15mb broadband. Just need to do a few calculations and I should be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Got a call back from UPC today about the issue I reported. They are sending out an engineer to check everything out on Thursday this week.
    They also advised I should get a call from a senior tech to run some remote tests.

Have to say for a company with such a bad rep for customer care, they have seriously exceeded my expectations.

Thumbs up from me.

p.s.

My connection is still messing about, below are the fastest speeds today. Should I ask the engineer to replace the Scientific Atlanta box with the newer box?

680392022.png
    7690553.png

+1

With regards the customer or tech support from UPC in my own case has been spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mo_town

680494750.png
    7699331.png
    I'm paying for the 20mb service and the above is at the better end of the speeds I'm actually getting.

Have arranged to upgrade to the 30mb for free so I might get 20mb off that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

mo_town wrote: »
    I'm paying for the 20mb service and the above is at the better end of the speeds I'm actually getting.

With 59% packet loss you seriously need to log a call to UPC and get that sorted. An upgrade to 30meg won't fix that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

mo_town wrote: »
    680494750.png
    7699331.png

Spear wrote: »
    With 59% packet loss you seriously need to log a call to UPC and get that sorted. An upgrade to 30meg won't fix that.

Try turning off the firewall in your router before contacting UPC about the packet loss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement