Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Hmm about 10 km outside closest town, thats never going to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It can only ever work if the whole neighbourhood is up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

We live in the land of brown envelopes and dodgy handshakes.
    Any cost you could expect, would be at least tripled in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Hi guys, anyone know if the will be a speed increase for the customers on the old broadband light package. The last time around we got put up from 2- 6Mb.

Doubt it.
    I'd imagine that they want to move customers off the old products that they don't offer anymore.

• Advertisement

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    Doubt it.
    I'd imagine that they want to move customers off the old products that they don't offer anymore.

Well they wern't offering the package at the time of the last increase either so I'd say they will increase our speeds aswell. Hopefully 10Mb, I'd be happy with that!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

squared wrote: »
    Well they wern't offering the package at the time of the last increase either so I'd say they will increase our speeds aswell. Hopefully 10Mb, I'd be happy with that!! :D
    How much is the 6Mb connection costing you a month?

squared wrote: »

If I remember correctly, that's because the Value package passed out the Light.

Value was 1, and Light was 2.
    When Value became 3, they couldn't continue charging more for the 2 so they increased it to 6.

This time Value is moving to 5, so it's still less than the Light package.

Then again, I'm just guessing here.
    We won't know till Jan I suppose.

DingDong wrote: »
    How much is the 6Mb connection costing you a month?
    €27.50. I would change to the 10Mb package but i got the broadband as part of a deal which gives me free points in 4 rooms. Don't wanna start paying for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

I wonder if this means that the cap will be raised from 250gb to 320gb a month? If not there is no point in upgrading the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Blindpew wrote: »
    I wonder if this means that the cap will be raised from 250gb to 320gb a month? If not there is no point in upgrading the service.

Jesus some people are never happy well just tell them not to upgrade your line then as there's no point!

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Jesus some people are never happy well just tell them not to upgrade your line then as there's no point!

Well can you explain what advantage 30mb has over 20mb if you have the same usage limits? No one needs 30mb to open web pages or to send email.

Well if you can't see the advantage get yourself mobile braodband or something it's cheaper

but have just seen in your profile your interests so can understand now

"Interests
    Watching files slowly downloading."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Reading the FAQ and T&C's earlier today, it looks like the aup usage limit has gone from 250gb to 110gb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭yy885

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    but have just seen in your profile your interests so can understand now

"Interests
    Watching files slowly downloading."
    what the hell ...:eek:

remember back 13-15 years ago...with the freaking 28.8 kbps...ITS a NIGHTMARE for download a 15 mb file!

if you want to watching files slowly downloading, just download 5-6 big file at a time:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

An extra 5mb for free? Yes please.

rymus wrote: »
    Reading the FAQ and T&C's earlier today, it looks like the aup usage limit has gone from 250gb to 110gb.

where u see that Rymus? can't find it anywhere

sorry.. it was 120, not 110.

http://service.upc.ie/service/?cid=123&aid=85

At the moment with a 20mb connection I can download a 350mb file in about 3 minutes when using rapidshare. A 30mb connection will allow me to do so in just over 2 min. It means I save 50 seconds. This is not any great advantage to me if I am still only allowed 250gbs per month.

Well can you explain what advantage 30mb has over 20mb if you have the same usage limits? No one needs 30mb to open web pages or to send email.

Well I have the 20MB package at the moment, and the most that I#ve ever downloaded/uploaded in a month is a little over 100 Meg.
    So their limits mean nothing to me.
    In fact, only about 1% of people on the 20MB pack download close to the limit.

But of course the fact that we, and you, would be able to download what we do 50% faster than before means nothing at all!:rolleyes:

It must be annoying having a glass that's always half empty.

At the moment with a 20mb connection I can download a 350mb file in about 3 minutes when using rapidshare. A 30mb connection will allow me to do so in just over 2 min. It means I save 50 seconds. This is not any great advantage to me if I am still only allowed 250gbs per month.

And what if you're downloading 10 Gig file?
    Will the saving of some 25 minutes be nothing to you so?

• Advertisement

rymus wrote: »

Ahhm, that's the FAQ's from about 9 months ago.
    They still talk about the 1-3-12 MB package, which haven't existed in a long time.

The 120Mb limit was the limit that used to be on the 12MB package.

There's nothing there about them downgrading the limits.

But of course the fact that we, and you, would be able to download what we do 50% faster than before means nothing at all!:rolleyes:

It must be annoying having a glass that's always half empty.

And what if you're downloading 10 Gig file?
    Will the saving of some 25 minutes be nothing to you so?[/QUOTE]

20mb is not 50% 0f 30mb. Eyes rolling.

I also only ever drink from cans, never use glasses.

I suppose in the case of a 10gb file the speed would be an advantage, though I have never downloaded such a large file in my life.

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    Ahhm, that's the FAQ's from about 9 months ago.

Doh.. my bad. In the process of switching over from BT to UPC and was a little dismayed to read that on their site after everyone saying it was 250gb. thanks

20mb is not 50% 0f 30mb. Eyes rolling.

Wanna try again old boy?

I said that your overall speed would increase by 50%.
    Now we have 20MB, we're increasing by 10MB, which is 50% of the 20MB that we have.

I suck at maths my friend, but I think you have me beaten on that score.
    Good thing you messed can spell "Eyes rolling" though.
    At least that's something.

Blindpew wrote:
    I also only ever drink from cans, never use glasses.

Very bad for you.
    Lots of deseases on cans.
    Blindpew wrote:
    I suppose in the case of a 10gb file the speed would be an advantage, though I have never downloaded such a large file in my life.

And I'm sure you never, ever will.
    Cause the files I download now, are the exact same size as those years ago.
    Or even last year.
    Or even 6 months ago.

And of course you must be the only customer that UPC have seeing as you initially said that unless they're increaseing the cap that there's no point.

There is for 99% of the users.
    And UPC will care a hell of a lot more about them than the 1% that get close to the limits.

I'm not knocking extra speed but it won't make much difference. Streaming media can be accessed as fast as it's source can stream it even with a 10mb connection. Web pages will load perfectly on a 3mb line. So unless you're involved in some insider trading on the stock market there is no real need for extra speed. I suppose it will help with contention ratio though as files will download faster. That said I have never had problems getting the top speed at any time of day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I'm not knocking extra speed but it won't make much difference. Streaming media can be accessed as fast as it's source can stream it even with a 10mb connection. Web pages will load perfectly on a 3mb line. So unless you're involved in some insider trading on the stock market there is no real need for extra speed. I suppose it will help with contention ratio though as files will download faster. That said I have never had problems getting the top speed at any time of day.

Ya YOU may be able max out the connection thats not to say others are? Sure if thats the case call up UPC and let them know you dont really need an increase so? lol. Two things in this world cost more than anything else... information and convenience and an increase of line speed FOR FREE is never a bad thing let alone an irrelevant thing as you think.

As the content we download gets larger the more bandwidth available will be much appreciated by myself at least. You show me another Irish ISP that will for two years running give you FREE upgrades on your line speed? That will give you a cap thats a MULTIPAL times larger than anyone else?

I for one am very happy to see this and it makes me glad to be with them.

Well if you had said that the increase was of little use to you, I'd have thought that you were being facetious, but would have said fair enough.
    But you didn't.
    You said that the increase was of no use to anyone.
    Which is clearly not the case, as it's of a lot of use to over 99% of those eligable.

99% I suppose is a slighly acceptable market share, don't you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JBUCD

Does this mean existing customers will get a free upgrade. I just got UPC is the past 2 weeks with a 10meg connection as part of a pack. So from January I will get 15meg at no extra cost?
    The only catch is that you sign a new contract for another 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Thor wrote: »
    that has been posted before.

you will also have to go to this address to get to enter the info.

http://192.168.100.1/_aslvl.asp

I can not access http://192.168.100.1/_aslvl.asp.

I access my router at 192.168.1.1 so I tried http://192.168.1.1/_aslvl.asp but still no luck. I'm able to get to the advanced settings page using 'admin' and 'W2402' but every page says that "This feature is not enabled."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Sounds like your trying to access the special admin functions for the Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 modem, but on your Cisco EPC2425 router instead.

?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement