Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Hogzy wrote: »
    So pissed off, UPC came today to install the service and told me i couldnt get it done because our neighours would not allow the UPC guys into their house to upgrade their boxes aswell. Apparently it works like a chain, House 3 doors down will not allow UPC people into his garden despite the fact that he is blocking half the street from getting UPC services. Its not as if they have to dig the garden up or anything!

What an asshole!!!

Maybe people on each side of him should block their pipes and flood his house with poop.:D

Edit on a serious note did none of you try talking to the moron?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Ranicand wrote: »
    Maybe people on each side of him should block their pipes and flood his house with poop.:D

Edit on a serious note did none of you try talking to the moron?

Engineer said in a polite way that #16 is having trouble getting connected and could he get access to the UPC box. Apparently the guy said he doesnt have one(which is a complete lie because the UPC guy said he knows for a fact that all the houses in our estate have them). My mother is going to go down tomorrow and ask politely can we get access.

The installer said he would be 5 mins max in the house and wouldnt even need to use a drill or anything so no disturbance issues. I just dont get some people!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They used to be awful cowboys in the old days but they do a very clean job nowadays. Nevertheless they must have a written wayleave from yer man before they can access his premises ....if there is no cable there now.

Is there anyway of bypassing his house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

signed the upgrade thing 2 days ago, I suppose the upgrades come in because I'm seeing about 25-26meg down, but I'm barely getting 1 meg up

682582391.png

which is a complete waste, all I wanted the upgrade was for the 3MB up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

This sounds very strange, the trunk line and taps are usually in the pavement outside the houses. I really do not understand why he would need to go inside the house?

Engineer said in a polite way that #16 is having trouble getting connected and could he get access to the UPC box.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    This sounds very strange, the trunk line and taps are usually in the pavement outside the houses. I really do not understand why he would need to go inside the house?

He would have to go inside to get to the back garden to access some box, i dunno what exactly it is but we have a box in our back garden, More to the side of the house but its behing the gate to the back garden.

Im extremely pissed off as i live in a small estate where everyone knows each other. Living here 15yrs and never seen the likes of this petty behaviour from a neighbor!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Maybe he's hoping people will bribe him to let upc in. Either that or he likes waking up to broken windows in the morning.:rolleyes:

The service duct/ box must run at the back of the houses in your estate, very unusual as ducts are usually run on the outside front for ease of access and to avoid any wayleave issues.

He would have to go inside to get to the back garden to access some box, i dunno what exactly it is but we have a box in our back garden, More to the side of the house but its behing the gate to the back garden.

Im extremely pissed off as i live in a small estate where everyone knows each other. Living here 15yrs and never seen the likes of this petty behaviour from a neighbor!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Tony wrote: »
    Trunk, taps and even fibre are on private homes as a large part of the network is overhead. The box in question sounds like an amp, which are usually on the side of houses on the overhead network.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Does anyone know if or when UPC will offer broadband in Bray?

DingDong wrote: »
    Trunk, taps and even fibre are on private homes as a large part of the network is overhead. The box in question sounds like an amp, which are usually on the side of houses on the overhead network.

True but the poster said the upc guy needed to go inside the house, this is what I found strange.

I take it he was talking about the grounds of house.

I take it he was talking about the grounds of house.

Yes thats clear now but my response was to the first post.
    The installer said he would be 5 mins max in the house and wouldnt even need to use a drill or anything

Sounds strange indeed are re-reading the post Tony

Sounds strange indeed are re-reading the post Tony
    Yep I just thought the upc guy might be BS'ing but it seems not to be the case. Hope the guy relents and lets them get access.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

How do I share my speedtest results in a picture form, it keeps coming out as a link. Had my upgrade from 10mb to 15mb. At the moment it's registering 12.80mb but last night it was 2.50:eek: Never seen it so low!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

Yeah, that's how I remember it. Wayleave is a big issue in these cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Big difference from the 2pm speedtest i posted earlier

682774392.png

From the question i asked earlier today, that is it possible UPC have over-stretched there current network setup by offering the fibrepower speed increases?
    or is the setup easily capable of these speed increases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

John2009 wrote: »
    Big difference from the 2pm speedtest i posted earlier

682774392.png

From the question i asked earlier today, that is it possible UPC have over-stretched there current network setup by offering the fibrepower speed increases?
    or is the setup easily capable of these speed increases?

682780763.png

Not a total disaster however it's still better then any other provider I could go for in my area.

• Advertisement

Yes 15 - 20MB would be acceptable in the evening time on the 30MB package but with my speeds here your talking over a 75% loss in download speed and now my upload is gone to the pits aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

Upgraded from 10MB to 15MB last week. The upload is fine, without fail 1.4MB. The download is at times 12 or 13MB(which it consistently was before upgrading). I could live with that but a lot of the time it's 6 or 7MB, sometimes as low as 3 or 4MB. Is there any point in reporting this to UPC, what are they likely to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Teclo wrote: »
    Upgraded from 10MB to 15MB last week. The upload is fine, without fail 1.4MB. The download is at times 12 or 13MB(which it consistently was before upgrading). I could live with that but a lot of the time it's 6 or 7MB, sometimes as low as 3 or 4MB. Is there any point in reporting this to UPC, what are they likely to do?

Yeah report it, they are aware of problems but the more people that report it the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Bu11et_Proof

Right so I rang UPC back after not getting my promised callback from a supe. Got through to one after ringing through and the supe I spoke to admitted there is issues since the upgrade and they have only been made aware of this today and thats the reason I was given the run around since the 4th.

He said they have list of around 60 people at the moment who are having issues, said it could be weeks until its resolved. I asked to be left on the 30mb and be credited the extra amount it cost to go from 10mb to 30mb and said if the issues were not resolved within the month I want the option of downgrading back to a lower package at no extra cost.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the next couple of weeks, but believe me if it gets worse I'll be expecting a full months credit. If your having issues be sure to ring and get it raised the more people they know are affected hopefully the sooner things will get sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

One thing that ticks me off a bit, is the namechange to fibre.
    I'm apparently on the 30/3 according to an agent i called today. But it's still not fibre. It's cable. Big difference.

Where abouts in Cork are you dMaN24? Any chance of a quick speedtest result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Sorry i missed ya there.. I live near FAS in the city. Best i got yesterday (wednesday) was 17 something. at about 10-ish pm.

Since then i average 11-13. :(
    681678911.png
    682941418.png

*sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Over wireless and the speeds are actually not so bad this morning. I'll post back up this evening when I'm sure it'll be a different story.
    This is meant to be a 15Mb line btw.
    683128045.png

edit: slightly better speeds from the Galway server.
    683132590.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I got 30mb broadband this morning but when I ran a speed testI get

683445701.png

is that normal

• Advertisement

dMaN24 wrote: »
    One thing that ticks me off a bit, is the namechange to fibre.
    I'm apparently on the 30/3 according to an agent i called today. But it's still not fibre. It's cable. Big difference.
    Its called fibre power as in its fibre powered, which it is of course. Generally your at most 250m away from the optical node from the node to your home it on coax. Even ftth use copper at some point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement