Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

683769975.png

7946787.png

How can my download speed be so bad with 30mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

683769975.png

7946787.png

How can my download speed be so bad with 30mb

Are you using wireless or a wired connection to your computer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Have you tried other servers to test speed. Dublin isn't always the best to use.

Ranicand wrote: »
    Are you using wireless or a wired connection to your computer?

Wireless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

683778138.png

Someone think there's a general issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

dMaN24 wrote: »
    683778138.png

Someone think there's a general issue?

There is a general issue, a stated in a lot of posts previously. UPC are aware of the issues and are working on it, but anyone with an issue should call them as the more people call the better.

683779156.png

683780320.png

The others are worse

Wireless

With your modem running faster higher upload also this can cause a bottleneck in the wireless G router.

Even at peak times I get about 22meg on the wired PC the best I do on the PS3 is about 6 or 7.

The higher package with the bigger upload can put a strain on the wireless connection.

In paper 50meg is the limit for wireless in practice you get nothing of the kind.

You should try a wired connection.

If the wired connection is slow it could be contention but either could be the cause.

683779156.png

683780320.png

The others are worse

Just try a wired connection and see what happens.:)

683799478.png
    this is the result when I have a cable connected

• Advertisement

683799478.png
    this is the result when I have a cable connected

Much lower ping 7 is better then 2.

However you are suffering from major contention at peak times you need to start bugging UPC to add on more bandwidth in your local area.

They added more in my area a good few weeks ago not perfect but better then your area.683807347.png

Much lower ping 7 is better then 2.

However you are suffering from major contention at peak times you need to start bugging UPC to add on more bandwidth in your local area.

Ok but im being charged for 30mb. Do they not tell you this when you are upgrading ?

Ok but im being charged for 30mb. Do they not tell you this when you are upgrading ?

Everyones gets the upgrade in March the brutal truth is people like us who jumped first are the guinea pigs.

UPC is in a process this year they want to launch 100Mbs so they are adding more bandwidth to the system they are using us at the crash test dummies.:rolleyes:

They are also switching to docsis 3.0 this year a vastly superior system we are on docsis 1.0 right now.

This explains it all http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

Everyones gets the upgrade in March the brutal truth is people like us who jumped first are the guinea pigs.

UPC is in a process this year they want to launch 100Mbs so they are adding more bandwidth to the system they are using us at the crash test dummies.:rolleyes:

They are also switching to docsis 3.0 this year a vastly superior system we are on docsis 1.0 right now.

This explains it all http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

Well its a pretty bad advertisment for UPC as word of mouth is the best advert and I will be telling everyone its ****e. This will not look good for them and by looking at other complaints on this thread im not the only one . A technician was supposed to call me this evening but im sure they are just blanking everyone who upgraded:mad:

Well its a pretty bad advertisment as word of mouth is the best advert and I will be telling everyone its ****e and will not look good for them and by looking at other complaints on this thread im not the only one . A technician was supposed to call me this evening but im sure they are just blanking everyone who upgraded:mad:

I have to agree with you if they were honest about the fact they we are in the middle of a major network upgrade and things are likely to be choppy I think most people would understand.

Everything is supposed to be finished by August we shall see?

Yeah well I think i will downgrade next week due to the fact what they are selling is fake in Celbridge . I will see what the tech says and if it gets sorted well and good but will call them every day complaining so I wont be charged for something im not getting

Yeah well I think i will downgrade next week due to the fact what they are selling is fake in Celbridge . I will see what the tech says and if it gets sorted well and good but will call them every day complaining so I wont be charged for something im not getting

Ask to speak to their customer loyalty department and you might get a chunk taken off your bill they did it for me.

I said I was not going to pay more then a new customer for multi room they put me on the same prices as a new customer and gave me the third room totally free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

whats the url to do the upgrade online?
    I did hae it but cant find it anymore on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

keith123 wrote: »
    whats the url to do the upgrade online?
    I did hae it but cant find it anymore on the site.

http://www.upc.ie/about_us/Price_Changes/Speed_Changes/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 themorrigan

Sheesh - I'm stuck with my 2 mg wireless here in ballyfermot. I'd love to have the option of upgrading to 30 mg which seems ginormous to me but upc don't seem to have any plans to upgrade our area due to "having to dig up roads or something" :(:(:(:(

• Advertisement

684587754.png

todays result of 30meg UPC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ryball

684643646.png8018005.png

Results of 15 meg :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Results of 30mb :-( seemed to have got better in the past few days was getting just over 20mb but now just when i need to download a large file :mad:
    684647423.png

684877416.png

I lowered the MTU to 1400 on my netgear router which seems to have improved my download speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

MTU of 1500 and no problems here...

684936927.png

8043717.png

the_law wrote: »
    MTU of 1500 and no problems here...

684936927.png

8043717.png

Is that a Wireless result?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

WELL...
    Supposedly Ireland now has decent internet connection speeds.. ranking 6th in the world! AND it's increased by 26% between Q2 and Q3 last year!

http://www.techtv101.com/?p=3209

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

Is that a Wireless result?

No, wired. My wireless is only 802.11g (and there's lots of neighbouring networks in my area) so I max out around 20/21 megabits download on wireless.

I do most of my downloading on a desktop, so 20 megabits is more than enough for my home laptop use. The limiting factor that'll make me upgrade my router is not really the wireless, but the lack of Gigabit Ethernet. But I'm waiting for DOCSIS 3 to take that plunge. That's assuming UPC price it sensibly, too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

685069466.png

8056348.png

This is what my 15Mb upgrade peaks at. Download speed drops to about half that at peak congestion time during the day. Doesn't bother me as I do the bulk of my downloading at night. Gaming is still rock solid and download speed tops out at about 1.75MB/s. Very satisfied with the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

685360243.png

Getting this on wireless with the Netgear router. Getting these kind of speeds mostly now, but dropping to about 12 at peak times.
    Had to spend a half hour on the phone with netgear as the router was bottlenecking the speed. For some reason setting a different MAC address solved the problem, can't figure out why that would be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement