Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

685562239.png

Here's my 30Mb speed test, they have told me the problem will be fix before or by the 19th. I have a feeling it will still be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

i see on upc website that the 15mb and 30mb broadband have unlimited usage etc

i download from filehosts alot ie rapidshare , hotfile etc and could easily download 15gb a day with that usage , are the likely to cap that or restrict my usage ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Acoustic wrote: »
    i see on upc website that the 15mb and 30mb broadband have unlimited usage etc

i download from filehosts alot ie rapidshare , hotfile etc and could easily download 15gb a day with that usage , are the likely to cap that or restrict my usage ?

Yes, you will be subject to an Acceptable Usage Policy (AUP) which I believe will limit it to 250GB p/m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

Yes, you will be subject to an Acceptable Usage Policy (AUP) which I believe will limit it to 250GB p/m

only 250gb lol

they shouldnt say unlimited if it infact isnt , i mean your hardly gonna get 30mb to down load a song , its for hardcore downloaders , and ud download that in 15 days

Acoustic wrote: »
    only 250gb lol

they shouldnt say unlimited if it infact isnt , i mean your hardly gonna get 30mb to down load a song , its for hardcore downloaders , and ud download that in 15 days

There is already a thread about this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055484124

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭finno

Ranicand wrote: »
    Turn off the firewall on your cisco router to get rid of that packet loss.

Is it safe to do this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

finno wrote: »
    Is it safe to do this?

So long as you have firewall/protection on your pc. I turned off the firewall in my router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭finno

F1ngers wrote: »
    So long as you have firewall/protection on your pc. I turned off the firewall in my router.

I have a iMac so i have no anti virus protection so would it be best to turn it back on?

edit: sorry my firewall is turn on on my iMac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Speeds are shocking tonight worst yet
    686700498.png
    8185739.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭jos22

Speeds are shocking tonight worst yet
    686700498.png
    8185739.png

yup mine 50 % slower than what it should be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭chris2007

686811797.png

686836000.png

Hmm, mine is fine (on 10mb).

Have any of you guys who are on the 20mb upgraded yet, or are ye just posting speeds for the craic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

686836000.png

Hmm, mine is fine (on 10mb).

Have any of you guys who are on the 20mb upgraded yet, or are ye just posting speeds for the craic?

Im on the 30 and its creeping 1.14

Im on the 30 and its creeping 1.14

Ouch. Well thanks for upgrading guys, you've allowed the rest of us to hang on until they have it working!

Pretty bad form offering a service they havent got working yet. Suppose its to be expected though...

686927211.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

686944615.png

Guess i got the upgrade sweet

bryaner - what were you before? Because that either a high, or a low bandwidth on the new packages...

bryaner - what were you before? Because that either a high, or a low bandwidth on the new packages...

I was on the 10meg pack

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bryaner wrote: »
    I was on the 10meg pack

A nice upgrade so. Upload could be better but your ping and download are excellent.

Im pretty impressed getting around 8meg at peak

• Advertisement

Any one still experiencing slow speeds

bryaner wrote: »
    Im pretty impressed getting around 8meg at peak

Sweet. Good going, even exceeding the rated speed! (happens to me the odd time too!).

Did you apply for the upgrade, or just discover it had been done?

Sweet. Good going, even exceeding the rated speed! (happens to me the odd time too!).

Did you apply for the upgrade, or just discover it had been done?

Read it here and mailed them, all customers are getting upgraded

from the 4th of march but you can fill a form with them to get it in

3 working days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Engineer called to the house, very nice chap. Even swapped out my old scientific atlanta box & netgear wireless router for the Cisco 2425 which has improved my wireless throughput somewhat.

He checked with UPC while at my place and they confirmed they are aware of a bandwidth issue that has yet to be resolved.

I'm supposed to be on 30mb, this is what i'm getting today,

686978362.png
    8208698.png

Magnet speed test attached, taken @ 12:13 AM GMT

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DK32 wrote: »
    Engineer called to the house, very nice chap. Even swapped out my old scientific atlanta box & netgear wireless router for the Cisco 2425 which has improved my wireless throughput somewhat.

He checked with UPC while at my place and they confirmed they are aware of a bandwidth issue that has yet to be resolved.

I'm supposed to be on 30mb, this is what i'm getting today,

686978362.png
    8208698.png

Magnet speed test attached, taken @ 12:13 AM GMT

Do you still have your old scientific atlanta? If so connect it back up, the cisco one is crap. If you need better wireless get a decent router.

Do you still have your old scientific atlanta? If so connect it back up, the cisco one is crap. If you need better wireless get a decent router.

Cisco seems to be working fine for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Strange that you mention that. I was told that the Cisco is better and will be more capable of supporting faster speeds from UPC. Yet many suggest keeping the older box.

Can you explain why I should switch back?
    I'm sure I can get in touch with the engineer who took the box away as I still have the power brick for it he won't be using it.

i'd like to know why I should switch back though before I go to the trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

on 15mb BB , not bad at all.

687323455.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

Re: the Cisco versus Scientific Atlanta and supporting higher speeds.

I'm on the 30/3 package and can get up to 28.5/2.8 which is perfectly acceptable in my book on the Scientific Atlanta. The Cisco is still not DOCSIS 3 compatible therefore will also have to be replaced when speeds exceed 38 Mbits.

One of the reasons some people are seeing contention issues on 30Meg is due to the way bandwidth is allocated in earlier DOCSIS. Basically each modem is placed on a particular frequency, configured remotely. Each frequency has 38Mbits of usable bandwidth to share between all the modems on it... so if there is even ONE 15Mbit user on the same frequency as you on your network segment (a segment could be 200 homes) you will see contention if you both max your lines simultaneously.

However, on DOCSIS 3 channels are bonded, meaning your modem listens on 4 (or more) channels simultaneously making for contention purposes a single 'super channel' of 152 Mbits. It is a vastly superior system to having 4 seperate 38Mbit channels, as spare capacity on one frequency does not sit idle while another is maxed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

Hi guys, I only just found out about this update now, I'm on the 20mg speed, do I have to contact them for an upgrade or will it just be done?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement